Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=puffdaddy;380600]
    Quote Originally Posted by UGA4040 View Post
    I thought you could not run the black tank flush with the valve closed?

OK, sorry for asking a dumb question here, but want to ensure I understand correctly to avoid a similar fate.

1) I would expect the tank to be engineered to support the weight of a full tank....otherwise what is the point. Is the suggestion here that the tank expanded and the supports failed due solely to the weight of the full tank? Are the grey tanks prone to the same fate? Why does filling the fresh water tank to overflow (which I do) not result in the same consequence?

2) My practice has been to leave 5-10 gal of water in the black tank after I empty it as most people subscribe to. I achieve this by running the black tank flush system with the discharge valve closed. I use the exact same flowmeter as Jakev383 uses for fresh water to monitor how much water I put into the black tank. I assume I am safe to leave the valve closed as I monitor the volume of water and assume the tank vent does not allow the tank to pressurize. You know what happens when you assume, so just want to ensure my procedure is sound...as long as I dont walk away and forget about it.

Ok so I am currently working on my unit, which has nothing to do with this thread, so I won’t mention it. BUT. I have learned to never, repeat NEVER expect anything or assume anything on any rv. Nothing is engineered to any standard or worthwhile spec. I am trying to mount a motor that had one set screw that snapped off because it didn’t mount to motor but screwed into a vent hole to keep motor from turning.... ridiculous
    Leo & Cathy
    2021 Solitude 390 RK
    2017 F350 DRW Longbed

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Lc1496;380638]
    Quote Originally Posted by puffdaddy View Post

Ok so I am currently working on my unit, which has nothing to do with this thread, so I won’t mention it. BUT. I have learned to never, repeat NEVER expect anything or assume anything on any rv. Nothing is engineered to any standard or worthwhile spec. I am trying to mount a motor that had one set screw that snapped off because it didn’t mount to motor but screwed into a vent hole to keep motor from turning.... ridiculous
    ^^^^Yes ! They really don't care. All they want to do is sell RVs. Their whole purpose is to make it look good on the showroom floor, and get you to write the check. Anything after that makes no difference. AND - they know they can get away with it, because they have been doing it for years. And BTW - the dealers know it too.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Lc1496;380638]
    Quote Originally Posted by puffdaddy View Post

I agree, Trailers are not engineered. They build them and then based on complaints from units sold may make modifications to future units built. However, most buyers only use their camping trailers a couple times a year on a local trip to the lake. So, how many complaints can you get based on a couple uses per year. The real test of "design" is being born by the people who drive thousands of miles per year and use their trailers several months out of the year.
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to hijack the post But...When your thak fell out how did you inspect or repair or reinstall the vent pipe and the inlet pipe from the toilet? I'm asking because I found the black tank falling out of my 2018 376th yesterday. Long sad story since day one. Good luck.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1HDRIDER00 View Post
    Not to hijack the post But...When your thak fell out how did you inspect or repair or reinstall the vent pipe and the inlet pipe from the toilet? I'm asking because I found the black tank falling out of my 2018 376th yesterday. Long sad story since day one. Good luck.
    The OP hasn't logged in since 2 days after the thread was made so you might not get a reply. They must not have gotten the answers they were hoping for.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1HDRIDER00 View Post
    My black tank fell all the way out last year, busting out the cloroplast and wrecking some electrical lines. Yes, I got distracted. The tank had expanded and slipped out the angle brackets. I took it down to my local RV repair shop. After the fixed everything I asked them to attach a brace so it couldn't possibly fall out while in transit.
    Greg and Alison with Sammie the Goldie
    2016 Ford F350 diesel dually with Reese hitch
    2016 Reflection 303 RLS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234