User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Blew up black tank!

Just bought a 2015 303RLS. Mistakenly connected fill line for fresh water to Black Flush Brain Fart. sat anxiously waiting for the vent to purge and sent my wife in to check level on indicator
    on panel. She told me that the water tank was showing empty but the toilet was making a hissing sound. I stopped the flow too late. The black tank blew out of the bottom of the trailer on one outboard side
    and water flowed out. I cried for 5 minutes drained the rest of the tank and then pulled the underbelly skirting down to inspect the damage. I found that the expanded like a turtle and forced the outside edge of the tank over the support bracket dropping the outboard side of tank down 5 inches or so cracking a plastic grey tank fitting downstream of it's blade valve. I decided to remove the 4 screws of the outside support bracket and re position the tank back up Before repairing the cracked fitting but could not get tank high enough to reinstall bracket. Has anyone had this experience before or any advice for my bonehead mistake? I also wonder why the vent did not release pressure before pressurizing tank to this point?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your toilet connection is interfering with repositioning. You will likely have to pull the toilet and closet flange. You weren't dealing with air pressure but weight of water and overfilled the tank to point of excess deformation. More commonly what happens is you overflow the toilet if your seal is weak. When it's not, you push the liquid up the vent to the roof. You haven't lived till you've witnessed black water oozing down a roof and awning in the August heat of southern Texas!!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, Would you happen to know where the vent line is positioned into the tank by chance? i chatted with Tech support today and he had no schematic or anything to offer in that regard...Thanks
    I love my Reflection and cant wait to get out in it. Unfortunately all of our normal forest camping areas at around 7500 feet elevation are closed due to fires.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm suprised the bloated tank fit back in place. Also good thing you did not step on the flusher for the toilet .
    Is there a 2nd hole on top of the tank and a pipe hanging down other than the toilet pipe ? I would think the vent would be positioned a few inches below the vent entry.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Also good thing you did not step on the flusher for the toilet .
    Oh my that would of been nassssssty.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain! When we first got our 311BHS, I was giving a good cleaning to our tanks after our first outing and I forgot to open the valve when using the Black Tank flush. I got busy doing something else and a few minutes later I noticed nothing was coming out. I thought I had a blockage when all of a sudden it dawned on me that the valve was closed. I shut off the water and went inside expecting a mess. The water level was literally 1/4" from overflowing the toilet bowl. I couldn't believe I had made that mistake but was fortunate that I didn't end up with the same situation you had.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always set a timer when using the black flush. I start with 5 minutes and see where I'm at

Same goes with setting a timer for the fresh water rank. Yea there's an over flow on the fresh water tank but relying on it seems a little hap hazard to me.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    Always set a timer when using the black flush. I start with 5 minutes and see where I'm at

Same goes with setting a timer for the fresh water rank. Yea there's an over flow on the fresh water tank but relying on it seems a little hap hazard to me.
    I use one of these when I fill the fresh water tank; I never thought of using it when flushing the black tank....
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I use one of these when I fill the fresh water tank; I never thought of using it when flushing the black tank....
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I use one on both the fresh and black tanks. That way I know exactly how much I'm putting into the black tank, and I also know how much I've used on the fresh side.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post

Such a great habit; it's so easy to get distracted. I can't tell you how many times I have been saved by the timer function on my Apple watch!
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast