Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Route Assistance - What Do You Use?

Good morning - first-time poster.

I am taking a trip in a couple of weeks from the Tampa Area to Lake Lanier, GA. I have never done this far of a trip before (8-9 hours), as I usually stay in the Ocala area of the state (1-3 hr drive). I am pulling a 2018 Imagine 3170BH with a Chevy Silverado 1500 (with the tow package).

My question is on routing the trip - It's mostly Interstate driving, but am concerned about how / where to plan for Gas stops. My last trip was 3.5 hours, and I was getting about 8 mpg. Where do you typically stop for gas - Truck Stops? My concern there is, the truck is gas, not diesel.

Is there a particular app that you use, or do you first use your computer to research?
    Bill
    2018 GD Imagine 3170 BH
    2013 Silverado 1500 W/ Tow Package

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truck stops are usually better than most gas stations. Figure out where they are along your route, then take a look at the satellite view on Google maps.

Don’t just look at the lot. See what the entrance is like. If you need to make a left hand turn across traffic to get back to your route, see if there is a light or an option on the other side of the road. I usually choose to turn left going in since you just have to wait for things to clear in one direction.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whta4887 View Post

I am taking a trip in a couple of weeks from the Tampa Area to Lake Lanier, GA. I have never done this far of a trip before (8-9 hours), as I usually stay in the Ocala area of the state (1-3 hr drive). I am pulling a 2018 Imagine 3170BH with a Chevy Silverado 1500 (with the tow package).

My question is on routing the trip - It's mostly Interstate driving, but am concerned about how / where to plan for Gas stops. My last trip was 3.5 hours, and I was getting about 8 mpg. Where do you typically stop for gas - Truck Stops? My concern there is, the truck is gas, not diesel.

Is there a particular app that you use, or do you first use your computer to research?
    We use RV Trip Wizard for our trip planning. Based on our trip settings and our typical 7 mpg it will plot your fuel stops. I tend to use truck stops - Pilot, Loves, Flying J - for my gas stops. Our overall length with tow vehicle is about 55 feet. The mentioned truck stops almost always have plenty of gasoline and some even have dedicated RV lanes. You could also use an app like Gasbuddy to plan your fuel stops. I have been known to use smaller stations at the protest of the DW. :-)

We have lived in Central Florida for 25 years and camp almost always outside of Florida. We frequent Georgia (annual pass holders) and Alabama. This is the first season we are camping in Florida, or at least trying to. I would recommend you avoid Atlanta by getting off of I-75 at Macon or Forsyth and then make your way north to Lake Lanier. It will add about 30 minutes to your trip, it will be a relaxing 30 minutes versus battling the Atlanta traffic. And you'll get to see some good Georgia backroads. I prefer backroads over interstates. Be sure you fill up when you get off the interstate.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that!
    Bill
    2018 GD Imagine 3170 BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be sure to fill up South of Atlanta, in case you get caught in an Atlanta traffic back up.
    Enjoy Lake Lanier, if you are headed to Pine isle (Margaritaville) with children there are tons of fun things
    for them to do. Good adult fun things too.
    Enjoy your trip and I apologize for our horrible Atlanta traffic.
    We use trip wizard and Google maps.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANKS! Actually going to Ducket Mill
    Bill
    2018 GD Imagine 3170 BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANKS! Actually going to Ducket Mill
    Nice Federal CG, enjoy. If you want to visit, the park I referenced is about 10 miles from Duckett Mill.
    Supposed to be a little less hot and low humidity this July 4 weekend.
    Enjoy:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just want to throw another vote in for using TV Trip Wizard. As another member said, it will calculate your fuel stops if you input the information into the planner.

I don't think I know of another one that does that.

In that I believe you have a gas engine I would suggest that once you plan your fuel stop you check Google Maps satellite view to see how the gas station is arranged.

Flying J's always use to sort of cater to RVs with special RV pumps. I think maybe some other truck stops do now. I would suggest staying away from most places that seem focused on cars.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas Buddy is also a pretty good app that I use.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m having a hard time finding that app on the Apple store is it associated with another product?

Is it RV Life?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast