User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whta4887, I communicated with Fastway to ask about installing their equalizer hitch on my F150 which has air bags. They told me that the air bags can help with both ride and leveling when used with the hitch. But pointed out that it is important to first set the air bags at the desired pressure, then install the equalizer hitch according to instructions. They told me it may take a few attempts to get the final desired air bag pressure (level/ride), but never install the equalizer hitch before the air bags are inflated to the desired pressure because that adds undue force at the rear of the truck. I'm no pro but hope that is helpful.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of air bags I installed Sumo Springs on both the Ram 1500 that I had and the Ram 2500 I now have.
    It was not to level the truck but to help reduce the bouncing on bridges, etc. (Ram trucks are a little tender on the rear end).
    They work well for that and I don't have a worry about how much air pressure is in them they are install and forget.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whta4887 View Post
    Second post!

I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the tow package. I am hauling a 2018 Imagine 3170 BH. So far, my trips have been mostly a 2-4 hour drive around the state (FL - nice and flat). In a couple of weeks, I will be taking an 8-9 hour drive to Lake Lanier, and was wondering if airbags would be of any assistance?

I know I am "at capacity" with my rig, and I really don't have much of an issue keeping my speed at 65, but was curious what are the benefits of the airbag suspensions? I got a quote of around $1,500 with an onboard compressor. Worth the cost?

Just be aware that air bags will NOT increase your towing capacity or payload capacity. They will raise the rear of your truck if it is squatting. And as others have said it may provide a little more stability in the truck. But if you're not having any problems I don't think it is worth the $1,500. Even with airbags the drive will still be 8-9 hours. So no, they won't get you there any faster.

Here is a good YouTube video by FastwayTrailer comparing air bags to a WDH with scales. It shows you exactly what air bags do vs a WDH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg&t=54s
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will not change the towing capacity or payload of the truck.About the only advantage is tha truck will sit level, asthetically pleasing but not necessary.
    If you are using a WD hitch that uses bars, you will change the WD adjustment of the hitch. When you raise the rear, the hitch tilts forward. The bars are attached to the hitch so the tension on the bars will change, thereby changing the amount of weight transferred to the front of the truck.
    Some rear squat is acceptable, you just don't want the headlights pointing up. Personally, I don't think you will get much bang for the buck given the limited advantages.. JMHO
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bags on my 450, obviously not to carry more weight.

I find that they made the ride a little better when hauling, there's more spring "left" before you hit the overload. I know everyone says it's to level the truck, but I think the ride is better as well with bags.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whta4887 View Post
    Second post!

I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the tow package. I am hauling a 2018 Imagine 3170 BH. So far, my trips have been mostly a 2-4 hour drive around the state (FL - nice and flat). In a couple of weeks, I will be taking an 8-9 hour drive to Lake Lanier, and was wondering if airbags would be of any assistance?

I know I am "at capacity" with my rig, and I really don't have much of an issue keeping my speed at 65, but was curious what are the benefits of the airbag suspensions? I got a quote of around $1,500 with an onboard compressor. Worth the cost?
    "whta4887" I'd like to suggest that you install a set of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks on the rear. Even with my airbags my rig would still porpoise in the whoop de doos until I installed the shocks. I use setting three when not towing and setting 8 when towing. Just a suggestion.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 2013 f-250 super duty (gas) with airbags and from my experience the most important factor is the weight on the front end. I'm pulling a 2021 Reflection 303RLS and the original airbags weren't strong enough for the weight. The result was my front end was way to light and heading downhill with the trailer resulted a death wobble that was almost uncontrollable. I up graded the bags to 5K per-side and fill them to 50psi. The rear end still squats a little and I'm good with that. The results were dramatic to say the least. I can still feel the front end bouncing a little but tapping the breaks doesn't required a death grip on the steering wheel.
    Ron & Cylinda Mathews
    On The Road
    2021 Reflections 303RLS
    2014 Ford F250 Super Duty

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    Instead of air bags I installed Sumo Springs on both the Ram 1500 that I had and the Ram 2500 I now have.
    It was not to level the truck but to help reduce the bouncing on bridges, etc. (Ram trucks are a little tender on the rear end).
    They work well for that and I don't have a worry about how much air pressure is in them they are install and forget.
    Timbrens work better. Here is a picture of my 2021 Solitude 310 GK and my F250 Truck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1711.jpg  
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not use Ford guideline for weight distribution?

For years Ford has recommended allowing front of truck to raise and rear to drop for best weight distribution. see page 42 https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf

This basically takes the initial height of truck front unloaded and the height of front loaded and applying torque from weight distribution hitch to return front to half way between these two figures. This means that the front is up some and the rear of truck ends up where ever it ends up. Previous year F-150 guidelines specified the front raising 75% but no longer.

Why have I rarely heard about people following this recommendation?

If truck is loaded over rated capacity or near upper end of payload rating (??):If it is too low then add some device like air bags, Timbrens, or whatever if desired/needed to raise back of truck.

Is Ford trying to load the rear tires to improve braking and driving traction, especially in slick conditions?

I follow this but I am using 2019 F-350 diesel with 8200 GVWR 24' travel trailer so I could be off on proper setup and it would matter much less than someone close to capacity.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimtheToolMan View Post
    For years Ford has recommended allowing front of truck to raise and rear to drop for best weight distribution. see page 42 https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf

This basically takes the initial height of truck front unloaded and the height of front loaded and applying torque from weight distribution hitch to return front to half way between these two figures. This means that the front is up some and the rear of truck ends up where ever it ends up. Previous year F-150 guidelines specified the front raising 75% but no longer.

Why have I rarely heard about people following this recommendation?

If truck is loaded over rated capacity or near upper end of payload rating (??):If it is too low then add some device like air bags, Timbrens, or whatever if desired/needed to raise back of truck.

Is Ford trying to load the rear tires to improve braking and driving traction, especially in slick conditions?

I follow this but I am using 2019 F-350 diesel with 8200 GVWR 24' travel trailer so I could be off on proper setup and it would matter much less than someone close to capacity.
    This is very similar to my GMC 3500. What this says is that the minimum safe recoverable height is a 50% return to original. This represents the amount of weight the WDH returns to the front axle. Yes as a minimum it will be a bit nose high
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast