User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimtheToolMan View Post
    For years Ford has recommended allowing front of truck to raise and rear to drop for best weight distribution. see page 42 https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf

This basically takes the initial height of truck front unloaded and the height of front loaded and applying torque from weight distribution hitch to return front to half way between these two figures. This means that the front is up some and the rear of truck ends up where ever it ends up. Previous year F-150 guidelines specified the front raising 75% but no longer.

Why have I rarely heard about people following this recommendation?

If truck is loaded over rated capacity or near upper end of payload rating (??):If it is too low then add some device like air bags, Timbrens, or whatever if desired/needed to raise back of truck.

Is Ford trying to load the rear tires to improve braking and driving traction, especially in slick conditions?

I follow this but I am using 2019 F-350 diesel with 8200 GVWR 24' travel trailer so I could be off on proper setup and it would matter much less than someone close to capacity.
    My equalizer WDH has the exact same instructions. Return front to 50% of the unloaded/loaded measurements.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimtheToolMan View Post
    For years Ford has recommended allowing front of truck to raise and rear to drop for best weight distribution. see page 42 https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf

This basically takes the initial height of truck front unloaded and the height of front loaded and applying torque from weight distribution hitch to return front to half way between these two figures. This means that the front is up some and the rear of truck ends up where ever it ends up. Previous year F-150 guidelines specified the front raising 75% but no longer.

Why have I rarely heard about people following this recommendation?

If truck is loaded over rated capacity or near upper end of payload rating (??):If it is too low then add some device like air bags, Timbrens, or whatever if desired/needed to raise back of truck.

Is Ford trying to load the rear tires to improve braking and driving traction, especially in slick conditions?

I follow this but I am using 2019 F-350 diesel with 8200 GVWR 24' travel trailer so I could be off on proper setup and it would matter much less than someone close to capacity.
    Because most people here know more that the truck builders and are locked in on the truck being level above anything else.
    To answer your question, Ford is not trying to add traction to the rear tires. Unless your tires are shot, traction is not an issue. The manufacturers recommendations for returning weight to the front is to keep the front end from being too light and causing steering problems on slick roads, and to not return too much weight and causing premature wear on tires and suspension.
    But everything here must be true because someone read it on the internet, right?
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    Timbrens work better. Here is a picture of my 2021 Solitude 310 GK and my F250 Truck
    If you say so, that's fine with me. I never used Timbrens so I cannot compare the two.
    All I know is that the Sumos gave me the results I was looking for. I'm a satisfied customer.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I have bags on my 450, obviously not to carry more weight.

I find that they made the ride a little better when hauling, there's more spring "left" before you hit the overload. I know everyone says it's to level the truck, but I think the ride is better as well with bags.
    I agree. I had airbags and compressor installed in my F150 and while I knew it was not going to increase towing, it does really help the ride. In addition to leveling the back-end, as there was slight sag, I can always tell right away when I don't have the bags inflated to 50 PSI. The back-end bounces more and as an earlier poster said, reduces porpoising. All that said, sometimes I consider the fact that I paid $1500 or so to "level" my rear-end :-)
    David Pisano
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bagged 2500

Quote Originally Posted by whta4887 View Post
    Second post!

I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the tow package. I am hauling a 2018 Imagine 3170 BH. So far, my trips have been mostly a 2-4 hour drive around the state (FL - nice and flat). In a couple of weeks, I will be taking an 8-9 hour drive to Lake Lanier, and was wondering if airbags would be of any assistance?

I know I am "at capacity" with my rig, and I really don't have much of an issue keeping my speed at 65, but was curious what are the benefits of the airbag suspensions? I got a quote of around $1,500 with an onboard compressor. Worth the cost?
    Put bags on my 2015 Bowtie 2015 better ride pulling 349M and kept headlights level

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bagged 2500

Quote Originally Posted by whta4887 View Post
    Second post!

I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the tow package. I am hauling a 2018 Imagine 3170 BH. So far, my trips have been mostly a 2-4 hour drive around the state (FL - nice and flat). In a couple of weeks, I will be taking an 8-9 hour drive to Lake Lanier, and was wondering if airbags would be of any assistance?

I know I am "at capacity" with my rig, and I really don't have much of an issue keeping my speed at 65, but was curious what are the benefits of the airbag suspensions? I got a quote of around $1,500 with an onboard compressor. Worth the cost?
    Put bags on my 2015 Bowtie 2500 better ride pulling 349M and kept headlights level D

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bagged my 2015 Bow tie 2500 made for better ride pulling 2018 349M plus kept headlights level

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand of air bags do you guys use/recommend? I have a 2014 Tundra. Thanks.
    Dennis & Lydia
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
    (Golf clubs as necessary)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the Firestone kit designed for my 2013 F-250 Super duty (gas). I paid $850.00 for parts and installation.
    Ron & Cylinda Mathews
    On The Road
    2021 Reflections 303RLS
    2014 Ford F250 Super Duty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the Firestone bags installed on my 2017 Silverado 1500 to help with a "light" front end and porpoising - towing a Transcend Xplor 2400. At almost any PSI it definitely helps with one or both issues, but I finally settled in at 32 PSI (loaded) and it's night and day. Much smoother going over bumps/swells in the road and better steering control.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast