Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Bags on Rear - Pick Up Truck

Second post!

I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the tow package. I am hauling a 2018 Imagine 3170 BH. So far, my trips have been mostly a 2-4 hour drive around the state (FL - nice and flat). In a couple of weeks, I will be taking an 8-9 hour drive to Lake Lanier, and was wondering if airbags would be of any assistance?

I know I am "at capacity" with my rig, and I really don't have much of an issue keeping my speed at 65, but was curious what are the benefits of the airbag suspensions? I got a quote of around $1,500 with an onboard compressor. Worth the cost?
    Bill
    2018 GD Imagine 3170 BH
    2013 Silverado 1500 W/ Tow Package

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Bags on Rear - Pick Up Truck

If you are not having issues why are you looking for bags?

Your hitch should be levelling your truck

Airbags are generally for 1 tons that don’t use a hitch

I guarantee you are over payload

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed air bags on my truck to keep it and my trailer level. Also keeps my headlights aimed correctly, instead of pointed skyward into oncoming drivers eyes.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS | TireMinder i10 TPMS | Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter | Progressive Industries EMS | MORyde X Factors | Renogy Solar & MPPT Controller
    2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L Diesel | Tuned w/ DPF Stolen | Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller | Airlift Bags w/ Wireless Compressor | B&W Turnover Ball | Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediocrity View Post
    I installed air bags on my truck to keep it and my trailer level. Also keeps my headlights aimed correctly, instead of pointed skyward into oncoming drivers eyes.
    Me too. Keeps my rig level and I think it rides better with the bags when towing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added air bags to my levelled F150 so it would remain level when attached to my 2970, it helped reduce the proposing since I was also overloaded with a half ton truck and that size camper.
    My best move was getting a truck equipped to handle my camper.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a pic of the camper connected to the truck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camper & Truck.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	35222
    Bill
    2018 GD Imagine 3170 BH
    2013 Silverado 1500 W/ Tow Package

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added airbags to my 1500 to help my truck rebound after bumps faster. It used to 'porpoise' when hitting bumps in the rear.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the posts on WD are simply amazing.
    The purpose of WD is not to level the truck and trailer, it is to return weight to the front end. You WD may level the truck but that is not the purpose of it. If you are using your WD to level the truck/trailer, you are probably cranking too much weight back to the front of the truck, resulting in excessive tire and suspension wear.
    If the rear is squatting too much, that can be corrected with bags, but anything that changes the angle of the hitch ball is going to affect your WD adjustments and you need to re-adjust the WD for the correct weight transfer.
    If anyone doubts this, go to a CAT scale and measure the front end weight of the truck both hitched and not hitched. The two weights should be very close. The scales do not lie. You can not determine if your hitch is adjusted correctly by simply looking at it.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    Some of the posts on WD are simply amazing.
    The purpose of WD is not to level the truck and trailer, it is to return weight to the front end. You WD may level the truck but that is not the purpose of it. If you are using your WD to level the truck/trailer, you are probably cranking too much weight back to the front of the truck, resulting in excessive tire and suspension wear.
    If the rear is squatting too much, that can be corrected with bags, but anything that changes the angle of the hitch ball is going to affect your WD adjustments and you need to re-adjust the WD for the correct weight transfer.
    If anyone doubts this, go to a CAT scale and measure the front end weight of the truck both hitched and not hitched. The two weights should be very close. The scales do not lie. You can not determine if your hitch is adjusted correctly by simply looking at it.
    Returning weight to the front end will level the truck you know
    Sorry it wasnt worded easier

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Returning weight to the front end will level the truck you know
    Sorry it wasnt worded easier

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    It may or may not. You can return the correct weight to the front end and it still not be level. Again, that's not the purpose of WD. With the correct adjustment, you can still have some squat in the rear but that's OK as long as the front is right.

If you want to go with level, that's up to you. I'm just thinking that when you hit black ice and your rig starts getting squirrely, it's a little late to rethink your strategy.
    Last edited by BobLandry; 07-01-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast