Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

308BHTS Towing Experience

Hi all 308BHTS owners,
    Can you please comment on your towing experience with this large TT (8,348lbs, 36'7"). We really like this TT, but are concerned about what it would be like to tow it. I am hoping some people that own this trailer can comment on their personal experience with it and what they are using to tow it. Please share the good and the bad.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towed mine with F250 V10 Gasser over 800 miles with no problems (other than my thirsty truck!). I did upgrade my hitch to the E2 trailer hitch with the solid lift bars (no chains) to help with sway.
    Since the gas bill was so high I was encouraged to upgrade to a Diesel. Pulled my TT with it over 200 miles and it was even easier to tow than with the Gasser, less gear changes and such.
    What is your Tow vehicle?

McKeeFamily
    I tow my 308BHTS with a 2011 F150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost with a 3.55 axle and it tows fantastic. I too have the E2 hitch. I have only taken 4 trips counting the 70 mile trek home from the dealer. I am getting about 9.5mpg thus far while towing. I am officially close to the max for total weight and hitch weight...but I can easily do 65mph down the highway and it has went up the steep hills of Brown County Indiana with ease. Very happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love towing our 308 its a dream towing it. It tows like a much smaller unit. We tow it with either a 2014 Ford f-250 6.7 diesel or a 2014 Dodge 2500 Diesel and a Equalizer 10k hitch. I emailed Equalizer last week with questions and needed answers and very disappointed with Equalizers lack of customer service and a response to my questions. We had a 2012 Keystone Laredo with a Reese Dual Cam and was a horrible experience and a white knuckle ride especially when being passed by a truck from behind. I just towed it last weekend in a very breezy condition along with it filled with water and fully loaded and NO SWAY and towed like a dream. I loved every minute of the journey we went on last week and was a very comfortable time towing the 308 !

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your responses. I have been waiting to buy our TV until we chose our trailer. I am leaning towards at least a 3/4 ton pickup. I am just trying to get as much insight into the 308 as I can. The other TT that we are considering is 4 feet shorter, and 2,000 lbs lighter. (CrossRoads Sunset Trail Reserve 28BH.)

Is there any other good or bad you could share about the 308?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you are on a Grand Design forum so you see the good and bad of the some of the issues. But, I will say this, I have camped for over 40 years and NEVER had nor Heard of a Manufacturer stand behind their products like Grand Design. With all trailers there will be issues, no way around it, how the dealer and manufacturer handles it is what sets them apart.
    I agree that you should not get a smaller vehicle than 3/4 ton, and I know there are 1/2 ton trucks that will pull it, but the advice I was given long ago was "it is not what it can pull, but how fast it can stop what it is pulling". When you compare brake components between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton you will see why. I am sure this will elicit some other replies.......

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 313, which is just a tad heavier. I pull with a RAM 2500 6.7 diesel. Pulls great! After my first or second outing with a passport 35' trailer several years ago with some cross winds that scarred the tar out of me, I bought a ProPride hitch for about $2400. Expensive, but it eliminates sway under virtually every condition I have encountered. Yesterday I towed my 313 in 30 to 35 mph direct cross winds...there was a most definite effect, but no sway...just the whole rig being buffetted. Not an add for ProPride or Hensley, but part of my purchase of the Reflection trailer was the removal and re-installation of that hitch. I had a Ford F250 5.4 gas before with the Passport..Pulled OK, and stopped great, but got aboout 7 mph, and slowed to about 40 mph going up real grades. I agree with above, 1/2 ton may pull that trailer, but will it stop it in an emergency, or on a steep down grade. And, how long with the transmission last? Good luck and safe travels!
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Visseric
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	2252It will always be better towing with a 3/4 or 1 ton TV but is it necessary? I tow with a 2015 Toyota Tundra and feel very comfortable with my 308 behind me. The Toyota has the largest breaks of any 1/2 ton, has the highest standard tow capacity (without getting the Max Towing Packages from the domestics), and the built in anti sway computer along with the WDH keeps me firmly planted on the hwy. I've also heard that Toyota underrates their trucks tow capacity whereas the domestic brands tend to embellish a bit.

james quinn
    Quote Originally Posted by Visseric View Post

ID:	2252It will always be better towing with a 3/4 or 1 ton TV but is it necessary? I tow with a 2015 Toyota Tundra and feel very comfortable with my 308 behind me. The Toyota has the largest breaks of any 1/2 ton, has the highest standard tow capacity (without getting the Max Towing Packages from the domestics), and the built in anti sway computer along with the WDH keeps me firmly planted on the hwy. I've also heard that Toyota underrates their trucks tow capacity whereas the domestic brands tend to embellish a bit.
    My understanding is that all 2015 1/2 tons now are tested to The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J2807 standards. Toyota has been doing this for four years. Previously the big three tested internally. There is nothing that says that a manufacturer can't "underate" their vehicles but I would be careful of such claims ... Especially if they came from a salesman. Interestingly enough, my 2013 Ford ecoboost is rated for 11,300 lbs under Ford testing yet the 2015 is rated for 12,200 lbs under SAE J2807 testing

beatcop49
    Quote Originally Posted by Visseric View Post

I tow mine with a Tundra. No issues.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast