User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GooseBox vs Gen Y Executive

I’m currently using an Andersen Ultimate hitch to tow my 311BHS. I had this hitch on my previous Silverado 3500 SRW Short Bed. It was a great hitch for the Short Bed truck but I recently got a Sierra 3500 SRW Long bed and I am wanting to switch to either a GooseBox or Gen Y Executive to have my full bed space back. The GooseBox is tried and true and has great reviews but the Gen Y looks like a great design and has good reviews as well. Does anyone have any input or thoughts? Much appreciated!
    Last edited by Jreagan3525; 07-01-2021 at 11:11 AM.
    2021 Sierra 3500 Duramax 4WD SRW Longbed w/ Andersen Ultimate Hitch
    2021 Reflection 311BHS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the search, you will find a discussion along the same lines a month or two ago. Personally, on a Reflection, my opinion is the Goosebox is your right option.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't speak for the Gen Y and I'm new to the whole 5th wheel/gooseneck thing, but we just picked up our 2021 Solitude a couple of weeks ago. Had the dealer install a Goosebox Gen II (16K) as I didn't want to be doing it myself in the parking lot at delivery. I've never towed with the 5th wheel and I've only towed about 50 miles so far with the Goosebox - but I love it! What an upgrade from the bumper hitch. Have a short trip coming up this week and a longer one in a couple of weeks so I'll get some miles on it but so far I'm very happy with the Goosebox. Clever little details - probably suggested by users - like the holes to hang the chains from when not in use and the well-located air valve are nice. Plus you can tuck the electrical harness up inside the box when not in use. If the lock release was set just a bit further back I could reach it without having to hop on the tailgate, but that's not a big deal.
    Dan & Connie

Current Rig: 2022 GD Solitude 310GK-R / 2020 F-350 PSD CC LB SRW
    Previous: 2007 Montana Mountaineer 32 PHD / 2011 F-250 CC LB SRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a Goosebox on my 311 and love it. A little less forgiving in the alignment when hooking up compared to a traditional 5th wheel hitch, other than that no complaints. My last camper had a traditional 5th wheel hitch, and the Goosebox is much more pleasant when towing. I havent noticed any chucking with the Goosebox even on some less than desirable road conditions. I removed the cable for the unlocking lever and installed a rope with a latch on the end . I hold the rope until the Goosebox is off the ball and then release it, my wife said it's much easier as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Goosebox here and happy with overall setup/feel while towing.
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW SB Duramax 4x4
    2021 Reflection 31MB Goosebox 16k

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning @Jreagan2535. I have the 20K GooseBox and no experience with any other 5th wheel hitch. So, can't speak to a wide range of experience. I had an objective choice between the two hitches you mention. I went with the GooseBox based on Reese long standing relationship with towing. There is a thread on here somewhere that relates an earlier version of the Gen Y being too long for a GMC box width. Gen Y stepped up and shortened the design. This gave ne pause regarding the Gen Y. My reaction was, what else did they miss? Many people have them and love them. You probably will do well with either one. Best wishes, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had a GooseBox on my 337RLS for about 2.5 years and somewhere around 20K miles of traveling. It’s the Gen 1 version so I had some issues with it popping off air sometimes. I switched to the newer air valve which solved the problem. I love the GooseBox. It does everything I hoped it would in smoothing out the ride. I went with the GooseBox because it wouldn’t void the frame warranty and I had a Reese Fifth Airborne pinbox that worked well. The Fifth Airborne uses basically the same suspension design as the GooseBox, so I had a good idea how well the GooseBox would work out.
    I found out about the Gen-Y about 6 months after purchasing the GooseBox. I’ve had a couple of trailers that had torsion suspension which works great so the suspension on the Gen-Y should also work well. My opinion based on the differences in the geometry of the suspensions, is that the GooseBox should do a better job of dealing with both vertical and the horizontal motion than the Gen-Y which should deal well with the vertical motion but not with the horizontal motion. Again, that’s my opinion, based on non technical observation. IMHO.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jreagan3525 View Post
    I’m currently using an Andersen Ultimate hitch to tow my 311BHS. I had this hitch on my previous Silverado 3500 SRW Short Bed. It was a great hitch for the Short Bed truck but I recently got a Sierra 3500 SRW Long bed and I am wanting to switch to either a GooseBox or Gen Y Executive to have my full bed space back. The GooseBox is tried and true and has great reviews but the Gen Y looks like a great design and has good reviews as well. Does anyone have any input or thoughts? Much appreciated!
    I have had the Gen Y since this past spring and have been very pleased with it. Gen Y adjusted their design I believe in late 2020 because the newer HD trucks are so much bigger. I have had zero issues with sharp turning and have nearly 7" of clearance between bedrail and camper. It is also built like a beast, very solid.
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali 3500
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    Gen Y 5th Wheel to Gooseneck Conversion