User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kitchen island damage

Well it. happened , the cabinet door was open and when bringing slide in it hit door and has damaged the island. the lower left bottom structure ihas seperated and has a 1/2 inch gap . the drawers still function as well as the doors. I can't get the gap out. Not sure how a repair can be accomplishedt . everything seems to be solid, there are afew cracked supports. This is not very real wood to play with as far as repairing. has anyone else had this mishap with slide and cabinet hitting? Island seems to be twisted. Any ideas as how to get all thing back in place. It still seems solid, may just leave it alone and continue to use.
    2019 Ram 3500 DRW
    2019 381M
    2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The construction is for lightweight, speed, and low cost versus durability. So, it's not really constructed like conventional cabinetry. You really have to start to disassemble and work at it till you find what needs repair. No doubt it pulled some screwed and stapled connections open and they cannot return to position without intervening.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

We split a rear cabinet door in our previous Reflection, but never had this type of damage to an island. There have been reports of the islands "falling" in some of the Solitudes, though. If I recall the threads properly, the owners removed the flooring to the island (it's screwed down) to gain access to the structure underneath. I don't know if this approach would be helpful in your case.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moppie14 View Post
    Well it. happened , the cabinet door was open and when bringing slide in it hit door and has damaged the island. the lower left bottom structure ihas seperated and has a 1/2 inch gap . the drawers still function as well as the doors. I can't get the gap out. Not sure how a repair can be accomplishedt . everything seems to be solid, there are afew cracked supports. This is not very real wood to play with as far as repairing. has anyone else had this mishap with slide and cabinet hitting? Island seems to be twisted. Any ideas as how to get all thing back in place. It still seems solid, may just leave it alone and continue to use.
    Can you post a picture so we can get a better idea of what the damage is?
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can access all the screws holding the island down, then loosen all of them and see if that removes the gap.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have added some supports to add additional strength to some areas that had screws and staples that had come loose I could not get the gap out that was one lower left hand part of the island. All doors and drawers work and the island seems solid so I'm leaving it as is. The gap I has I installed a medal support ovet it. If I have any additional issues I guess I would have to find a cabinet maker to make me a new island. The factory island is pretty flimsey, not a solid unit. I would post a picture but I have covered to gap.
    2019 Ram 3500 DRW
    2019 381M
    2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same thing. I had to lift the cabinet and re-staple the the the base under the cabinet. Turns out the only things holding the cabinet up are the 2 screws at each end of the cabinet and the two pieces of 1/4 inch plywood at sides of the sink compartment. It still a work in progress as the side where the dishwasher would go gave way before I could get the screws in. I do have pics I can share if anyone wants to see the details of the construction. I'm planning on adding some support in both ends inside the cabinet. The repairs require a crown stapler with 1.5 inch, 1.25 inch and 1 inch staples.
    2020 Solitude 310 GKR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Island damage

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithrr View Post
    I did the same thing. I had to lift the cabinet and re-staple the the the base under the cabinet. Turns out the only things holding the cabinet up are the 2 screws at each end of the cabinet and the two pieces of 1/4 inch plywood at sides of the sink compartment. It still a work in progress as the side where the dishwasher would go gave way before I could get the screws in. I do have pics I can share if anyone wants to see the details of the construction. I'm planning on adding some support in both ends inside the cabinet. The repairs require a crown stapler with 1.5 inch, 1.25 inch and 1 inch staples.
    We did a similar thing and left the table extended while pulling in the slide. It did some damage to the island, pushing it up and away from where it was built. I'd love any pic's you could share to aid in fixing the problem. Thanks in advance!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

island repair

Quote Originally Posted by jastelf View Post
    We did a similar thing and left the table extended while pulling in the slide. It did some damage to the island, pushing it up and away from where it was built. I'd love any pic's you could share to aid in fixing the problem. Thanks in advance!
    Let me see if I can find them. I'll let you know.
    2020 Solitude 310 GKR

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a post with photos and what I did on 7/28/2021. Here is a link to that post https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...n-Island/page2

If you have questions you can PM me (if you know how - I don't) or email me [email protected]

Greg
    2020 Solitude 310 GKR