User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GFCI tripping on 395MS-R

We are on our second weekend trip and the GFCI keeps tripping in the bathroom. We are boon docking, so this only happens when the generator is running. I have tested several different outlets on the circuit and they all come back good. This is happening when nothing I know of is running and after 10mins or so of resetting. I don’t recall this happening on our first outing, over Memorial Day. Any thoughts or troubleshooting ideas!

Thanks - Swifty

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    We are on our second weekend trip and the GFCI keeps tripping in the bathroom. We are boon docking, so this only happens when the generator is running. I have tested several different outlets on the circuit and they all come back good. This is happening when nothing I know of is running and after 10mins or so of resetting. I don’t recall this happening on our first outing, over Memorial Day. Any thoughts or troubleshooting ideas!

Thanks - Swifty
    This happens to me as well, but rather infrequently. I, too, have tested the outlets. It has not done it in several weeks, but it did more frequently at first. Never could figure it out.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it an onboard generator running through a transfer switch or an external generator connected to you shore cable?

If external: you want to be sure you have a generator neutral bonding plug on the generator. You can google that and find all sorts of them and how they tie the neutral to the ground at the generator.

If internal/onboard generator: make sure the transfer switch is providing the neutral to ground bond when on generator power. And also verify the neutral and ground are not bonded when not on generator (and also not on shore power).

The other ideas include insuring there isn't some device plugged into on of the other receptacles on that GFCI circuit that might cause the GFIC outlet to trip. Or just replace the GFIC and see if the problem persists and troubleshoot further.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I’ll try swapping out the outlet first and then will dig deeper. Thanks for the quick replies!

Swifty

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    I think I’ll try swapping out the outlet first and then will dig deeper. Thanks for the quick replies!

Swifty
    Likely that is not the problem. Traveldawg lists troubleshooting steps to begin with to isolate as it it may be a simple fix. Unfortunately there are no limits to the number of outlets that can be wired after the GFCI and also no standard wiring block diagram or schematic to support it. The only way to find out which are GFCI protected is to go to each outlet and test a trip of the GFCI. I found seven more outlets after the GFCI in my trailer. That's a lot for a 15 amp trip device.
    Another thing is wire connections at receptacles that are not making good contact. These RV types use a piercing blade that nicks the wire and I don't believe makes a good enough connection especially if the installer isn't paying attention. It could cause a high resistance that would trip the GFCI. I have replaced three outlets that allowed space and access with a household type.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought a used 21 395ms-r, post on the same subject doesn’t seem to get an answer to why it happens. If it’s a recall matter they should recall. I can’t believe that grand design would let the matter persist and have people questioning their purchase. Right now I’m not happy and wouldn’t recommend someone buy one that has electrical problems.