User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all of your input. The tech blamed Chinese components and specifically the inverter I believe. The guy is an airplane mechanic as well so he should know. I agree that it makes sense that we should be able to leave our A/C on. What does GD say?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of an A/C unit catching fire but if that did happen, I'd be FAR more worried about it catching fire while I'm in the RV (like sleeping) than if I was away.

We leave our A/C running while we're away every day. If the RV burns down while we're gone, we'll just get another one.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mUSt bE spECial

Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I've never heard of an A/C unit catching fire but if that did happen, I'd be FAR more worried about it catching fire while I'm in the RV (like sleeping) than if I was away.

We leave our A/C running while we're away every day. If the RV burns down while we're gone, we'll just get another one.
    Now the wife can`t argue with that logic.
    I think it`s just some people need to feel their more important than they are by giving out advice that is false or misleading to people that aren`t going to know the difference. I had a tech tell me the only way to stabilize the movement in a camper is to use the pin box tripod and this would help keep the front legs from collapsing from the constant movement. I just stated to laugh, he didn`t take that well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KENTMEZ View Post
    Thank you for all of your input. The tech blamed Chinese components and specifically the inverter I believe. The guy is an airplane mechanic as well so he should know. I agree that it makes sense that we should be able to leave our A/C on. What does GD say?
    Airplane Mechanic.... not as impressive as it sounds
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KENTMEZ View Post
    The only time an inverter would be involved is if you are running the AC on batteries.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you use to monitor the temps? We have a little dog too that we leave the AC on for. I have a camera that I can access through the cloud but can't make it the temp in the thermostat. Thanks!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im betting no one has asked GD. But, GD didn't make your A/C.

Like probably 99.9% of RVers, we leave ours on. I don't worry about it.

I leave the fridge on too... I've heard of those actually catching fire. Have never heard of an A/C burning up and catching on fire. Suppose it could happen.

TV's plugged in too, and sometimes left on for the dog's amusement, or my amusement.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was full time for 3 years and the AC ran 6 months at a time. No problems with regular maintenance.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The AC is protected by a circuit breaker and wire sized to hold the load of the amperage needed to operate the AC [ and any of the appliances ] .The circuit breaker will open and shut off power to the AC before it causes a fire due to a malfunction. Just the same as the circuit breaker protects the appliances in a stick & mortar.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike n sher View Post
    The AC is protected by a circuit breaker and wire sized to hold the load of the amperage needed to operate the AC [ and any of the appliances ] .The circuit breaker will open and shut off power to the AC before it causes a fire due to a malfunction. Just the same as the circuit breaker protects the appliances in a stick & mortar.
    Circuit breakers will only trip if current exceeds the breakers rated amperage. It will not protect from a potential fire if there’s a loose connection or a malfunction that doesn’t exceed the breaker rating.

Here’s a picture of a 15 amp breaker i removed from my shed sub panel after smelling something burning. The breaker DID NOT trip even though the breaker had significant burn damage.

Last edited by Jerryr; 07-11-2021 at 06:43 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast