User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone running Bridgestone Dueler LTH? How do they feel while towing?

Anyone use Bridgestone Dueler LTH tires? I just had a set installed on my 2006 Silverado 2500HD CCSB, factory 245/75-16 size. I feel like I'm getting pushed all over the road when towing with these tires. Towed my 31MB from Phoenix to to San Diego and back last week, and also towed my 2600lb single axle flat bed with a RZR on it about 70 miles yesterday. Same thing with both. When someone is passing me and gets to the back of my trailer, the truck starts to pull inwards toward that person's lane (trailer getting pushed outwards). When they get up to the front of my truck, it starts to push the truck away. This happens with big trucks and small cars both. The tires are properly inflated to 55psi front, 80psi rear, verified good the entire trip by a TireMinder TPMS system.

Never noticed this issue with the 265/75-16 Hercules Terra-Trac that these replaced, which were on the truck when I bought it from the previous owner. All I can come up with is that these new tires just have more sidewall flex or something. I'm thinking about taking them back to Discount but wanted to check and see if anyone had a similar experience here first.
    Last edited by thunder550; 07-04-2021 at 09:03 PM.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, CCSB 4x4, LBZ Duramax
    B&W Turnover Ball with 4" offset

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have described a natural occurrence while passing and being passed. Most new tires will feel somewhat squishy while towing for several thousand miles until the belting and rubber compounds settle. Since I am not sure how many miles you have on your new set, perhaps you are a little more sensitive to the movement.

The other WAG I’ll take is, recheck your PSI settings you have chosen. At first impression I would think your 5 psi low on the front and unless you are carrying 6000 lbs. on the rear axel, 80 psi is way to high only the center portion of the tire is making contact with the road, especially with the temps out by you guys.

After your sure of your axel weights follow the attached guide for proper inflation and add about 10%.

https://tirepressure.com/lt245-75r16-tire-pressure

Lastly on a long shot, your new tires may have exacerbated an underlying steering issue that could not be felt with the old set of tires.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    You have described a natural occurrence while passing and being passed. Most new tires will feel somewhat squishy while towing for several thousand miles until the belting and rubber compounds settle. Since I am not sure how many miles you have on your new set, perhaps you are a little more sensitive to the movement.

The other WAG I’ll take is, recheck your PSI settings you have chosen. At first impression I would think your 5 psi low on the front and unless you are carrying 6000 lbs. on the rear axel, 80 psi is way to high only the center portion of the tire is making contact with the road, especially with the temps out by you guys.

After your sure of your axel weights follow the attached guide for proper inflation and add about 10%.

https://tirepressure.com/lt245-75r16-tire-pressure

Lastly on a long shot, your new tires may have exacerbated an underlying steering issue that could not be felt with the old set of tires.
    Thanks for the reply. I have less than a thousand miles on the tires after the trips mentioned above, so still pretty new. This is not my first time towing with new tires, but IS my first time towing something this big with new tires. What really threw me though is the same behavior towing a small lightweight trailer....never had that feeling before with something like that, which I thought was strange.

Only time I've ever felt something similar was towing a 6500 lb boat with a half ton truck on the interstate, with a significant cross wind, and even then only with big rigs passing. Never with small cars.

Regarding pressures, I am going by the sticker on the door. Since I am near or at CCC for my truck, at least while towing the 31MB, I thought that was appropriate. But I will take a look at the chart and see if adjustment is appropriate.

Steering system should be tight...I replaced idler and pitman arms when I got the truck, took it in for alignment where they checked for additional steering and suspension play and found none. Not that it couldn't have developed since then, but that was probably only 2000-3000 miles ago..
    Last edited by thunder550; 07-05-2021 at 08:33 AM.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is their load rating?
    I read several reviews where drivers thought they felt "mushy".
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discount is going to replace the tires, switching to Continental Terrain Contact A/T. Hopefully that helps. If not, then I guess I learned something new.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    What is their load rating?
    I read several reviews where drivers thought they felt "mushy".
    They are E load range, 120 load index. 3086 max load at 80psi.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder550 View Post
    Discount is going to replace the tires, switching to Continental Terrain Contact A/T. Hopefully that helps. If not, then I guess I learned something new.
    I had those in standard load range and they were a solid tire. Not as nice as the Michelin LTXs I have now, on the road, but a nice compromise to add some off-rod capability as well. Hope they work out.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I had those in standard load range and they were a solid tire. Not as nice as the Michelin LTXs I have now, on the road, but a nice compromise to add some off-rod capability as well. Hope they work out.
    Glad to hear...I read a lot of good reviews about them, and the TireRack test results were very good too.

Which LTX are you running? The A/T? I've always had great luck with Michelins...last time I had to buy LTs they still had the LTX M/S. Was surprised that was no longer available, seemed like a very popular tire.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder550 View Post
    Glad to hear...I read a lot of good reviews about them, and the TireRack test results were very good too.

Which LTX are you running? The A/T? I've always had great luck with Michelins...last time I had to buy LTs they still had the LTX M/S. Was surprised that was no longer available, seemed like a very popular tire.
    They call it the Defender LTX M/S now. Subtle change to the tread compound I believe, because it looks the same as the old one - possibly slightly longer life? It’s probably the fourth set I’ve had on a few different vehicles in the last 20 years, and I can say the new ‘defender’ labeled ones I have are, so far, equal to the LTX M/S branded sets I had in the past.

I really did like that Terrain Contact tire as well. If going for a more off-road (but not extreme) tire, would absolutely buy again.

Possibly Michelin quit making your size? Here is the new version size list on tire rack. Seems very limited in LT sizes.
    https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.j...Clar=SuperCrew
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 07-05-2021 at 02:28 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    They call it the Defender LTX M/S now. Subtle change to the tread compound I believe, because it looks the same as the old one - possibly slightly longer life? It’s probably the fourth set I’ve had on a few different vehicles in the last 20 years, and I can say the new ‘defender’ labeled ones I have are, so far, equal to the LTX M/S branded sets I had in the past.

I really did like that Terrain Contact tire as well. If going for a more off-road (but not extreme) tire, would absolutely buy again.

Possibly Michelin quit making your size? Here is the new version size list on tire rack. Seems very limited in LT sizes.
    https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.j...Clar=SuperCrew
    Yeah it looks like they don't make the LT245/75-16 anymore. Larger wheel sizes are more popular now, looks like they shifted to supporting the newer vehicles.

Got the truck back just now, the tires are a lot more aggressive looking than I was expecting. I like it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210705_180404.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	35275

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210705_180531.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	35276
    Last edited by thunder550; 07-05-2021 at 07:18 PM.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k