User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

120v Air Compressor

I just bought a 2021 Ford F-150 to tow my Imagine 17MKE. I need an air compressor to carry with me in case I need to inflate the tires. Most models for this purpose are 12v systems. But they are slow and need to take a rest periodically. My truck has 120v power available. 120v compressors are cheaper and more powerful than 12v units, but all I can find are the "pancake" style compressors that are quite large. Does anyone know of a 120v air compressor that is compact enough to be practical for camping purposes?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viair. Not cheap though

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was planning on adding a Viair or similar compressor to my 2020 F350 as I'll be adding airbags to it soon. Also have the Goosebox which has an airbag, plus all the tires, toys, etc. that go along with our lifestyle. As a temporary measure, until I got around to the on-board compressor, I picked up a DeWalt DCC020IB battery-powered inflator. It also comes with a 12V cord and they cheesily tell you that it is also 120V capable - if you buy the 120V to 12V converter. I've already got a bunch of DeWalt tools so had batteries and charger (The base unit comes without.) I've got to say that this thing works so well that I'm not sure I'm going to bother getting an on-board air system. Sure if you had to fill a truck tire from 0 to 85 psi it would take a week, but that isn't something I have to do often - can't remember when. I did use it to top up the tires before a recent trip. While it takes a while, the way it is set up you dial in the target pressure and go do other things while it's running, it will stop when the target is reached. It does have a 10 min on/20 min off duty cycle limit. For most uses, topping up the truck & yard tractor tires, yard trailer tires, airbag, etc. I'm finding it incredibly convenient. Rather than getting the low tire within 'hose range' of the barn compressor, turning it on and waiting for it to fill, then filling the tire, I just grab the little compressor and take it to the tire, hook it up, dial in the pressure and go do something else for 3 minutes. It's become one of my favorite new toys - 'till the next gadget comes along. It's earned a place in the camper gear.
    Dan & Connie

Current Rig: 2022 GD Solitude 310GK-R / 2020 F-350 PSD CC LB SRW
    Previous: 2007 Montana Mountaineer 32 PHD / 2011 F-250 CC LB SRW

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluger View Post
    I was planning on adding a Viair or similar compressor to my 2020 F350 as I'll be adding airbags to it soon. Also have the Goosebox which has an airbag, plus all the tires, toys, etc. that go along with our lifestyle. As a temporary measure, until I got around to the on-board compressor, I picked up a DeWalt DCC020IB battery-powered inflator. It also comes with a 12V cord and they cheesily tell you that it is also 120V capable - if you buy the 120V to 12V converter. I've already got a bunch of DeWalt tools so had batteries and charger (The base unit comes without.) I've got to say that this thing works so well that I'm not sure I'm going to bother getting an on-board air system. Sure if you had to fill a truck tire from 0 to 85 psi it would take a week, but that isn't something I have to do often - can't remember when. I did use it to top up the tires before a recent trip. While it takes a while, the way it is set up you dial in the target pressure and go do other things while it's running, it will stop when the target is reached. It does have a 10 min on/20 min off duty cycle limit. For most uses, topping up the truck & yard tractor tires, yard trailer tires, airbag, etc. I'm finding it incredibly convenient. Rather than getting the low tire within 'hose range' of the barn compressor, turning it on and waiting for it to fill, then filling the tire, I just grab the little compressor and take it to the tire, hook it up, dial in the pressure and go do something else for 3 minutes. It's become one of my favorite new toys - 'till the next gadget comes along. It's earned a place in the camper gear.
    I have a similar experience like you but with the Milwaukee M12 tire inflator. Small, light, goes up to 120psi and you dial in the psi you want and walk away. Oh and less then $100. I love it and all my friends that saw it in action went and bought one the next day.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the Dewalt as it goes up to 160 psi and the trailer tires are 125 psi. It also has a low pressure side for inflating/ deflating toys.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the Viair 450P-RV
    100% duty cycle fills to 150psi

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluger View Post
    I went with the Dewalt as it goes up to 160 psi and the trailer tires are 125 psi. It also has a low pressure side for inflating/ deflating toys.
    Which Dewalt model did you go with? Thx
    Cowboychincs
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 Ford F-350 6.7L Diesel Platinum
    Castle Rock, CO

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the same Dewalt I got: https://www.dewalt.com/products/stor...lator/dcc020ib. I already had several batteries, so it was a no-brainer for me. It works great, not fast, but does the job.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggest you take a look at California Air Tools. Some nice little compressors. However, I would check to see if the truck inverter has enough juice to run it if that is what you want to do.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/California-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Ford truck inverter wot even run my Makita 18v battery charger. It’s only rated for 400 watts and the Makita initially draws more than that which faults out the 120v inverter output.

I doubt it would run a 120v compressor.

Edit; the specs on that compressor is 4.5 amps which is 540 watts. The standard ford inverter will not run that load.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 11-06-2021 at 09:52 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast