User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable Generator/Inverters

I have read many of the posts, but am still uncertain about my options. We want to be able to run one 15,000K A/C, our residential fridge, and the TV off a generator. I am open to installing a soft start unit in both of the A/C--but we only run one at a time. Will a 2,500w generator/inverter give me enough starting and running watts?

If I need to go to a 3,500w generator/inverter, does anyone travel with and run their unit at the back of the trailer on a cargo rack?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KALockhart View Post
    I have read many of the posts, but am still uncertain about my options. We want to be able to run one 15,000K A/C, our residential fridge, and the TV off a generator. I am open to installing a soft start unit in both of the A/C--but we only run one at a time. Will a 2,500w generator/inverter give me enough starting and running watts?

If I need to go to a 3,500w generator/inverter, does anyone travel with and run their unit at the back of the trailer on a cargo rack?
    We have a champion 3400 watt dual fuel inverter generator. It runs the 15k AC unit, although with it the Soft Start AC unit, it struggles when the compressor kicks on. (This is something I need to get for both my AC units.)

We travel with it in the back of our 320MKS in a cargo rack. It is ratchet strapped down, and cable locked to the daddy l safety chain points on the trailer. I also bought a canvas tarp to wrap it in to keep it "clean" in weather.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Harbor Freight Predator 3500 is very hard to beat for your needs. Price, noise level and reliability are all good.

If you want more power, add a second one and a parallel kit.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a Champion 3500W Dual Fuel Inverter/Generator and always run it on Propane. We have no problem running our A/C unit with this generator for hours at a time. We keep the Generator in the truck bed and we run it off of a 20lb Propane tank we keep lashed down in the back corner of the truck bed. We actually run the generator in the truck bed from this Propane tank (obviously the exhaust is pointed towards the middle of the truck with no obstructions), we simply plug the camper into the generator.

I truly believe this Inverter/Generator has enough power to run both your A/C unit and the Residential refrigerator simultaneously even if you are running it on Propane (it certainly will have enough power to run both if you are using gasoline).

PS: we have had this Generator for a few years now and we really, really, love it !!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a Firman 3300 out of the truck box also. I love the remote start stop feature. I've had it for a little over a year and no issues. We have a smaller tt but I'm able to run every as if we were plugged in. Ac, fridge, water heater..

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 3500W generator (like the Champion 3500 dual fuel, etc) will generally provide a 30A hook-up. Same with two 2K/2.2K generators tied together. in parallel That would be enough for one AC and several appliances - also remember that your converter will be drawing Amps as well when hooked up to the generator. With a single 2.5K generator... you generally get 20A hook-ups.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just ordered a Westinghouse iGen 4500-Watt Gasoline/Propane Portable Inverter Generator from Lowes. They have been on national backorder for several months.
    $989 (with 10% veteran discount) and free delivery. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Westinghous...art/5001579117

Remote start with FOB, runs on Propane or Gas. Excellent reviews with 4.7/5.0 and 98% recommended by buyers
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Generac 3000i and it runs a 15k A/C just fine. I have it mounted on a cargo rack off the rear bumper. I installed support brackets for the bumper and it seems fine like that however I have not travelled much with it yet.
    We also made a rain cover that can protect the generator when it's running.
    I had to modify the spare tire carrier to raise it up so part of the cargo carrier could be below the tire.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins