User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Issue with Self-Adhesive wall tiles sticking

Has anyone installed self-adhesive wall tiles and had an issue with them peeling off? I have gone this several times before in a different trailer and had zero issues with it not sticking. I am in the process of returning it as defective (Amazon) but would hate ot order something else and end up with the same issue. Here are some pictures of what it looked like the following morning:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5626.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	35271 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5627.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	35272 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5628.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	35273
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavysledz View Post
    Has anyone installed self-adhesive wall tiles and had an issue with them peeling off? I have gone this several times before in a different trailer and had zero issues with it not sticking. I am in the process of returning it as defective (Amazon) but would hate ot order something else and end up with the same issue. Here are some pictures of what it looked like the following morning:

Name:	IMG_5626.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	35271 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5627.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	35272 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5628.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	35273
    Have you tried washing down the wall prior? Maybe with acetone?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't...I kind of wanted to hear from others first before trying any chemicals. I have used peel-and-stick tiles several times before (different trailer) and had no issues so was curious if anyone else ran into the same issue on their GD? I am just hoping it is the brand I chose and not an issue with things sticking to the walls.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't...I kind of wanted to hear from others first before trying any chemicals. I have used peel-and-stick tiles several times before (different trailer) and had no issues so was curious if anyone else ran into the same issue on their GD? I am just hoping it is the brand I chose and not an issue with things sticking to the walls.
    If you have a Commander strip that you can spare give that a try and see if it will stick. Have you tried a piece of those tile somewhere else. My thinking is that either the tile is not compatible with that wall or if defective.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet it's the wallboard itself as your problem. Find an inconspicuous location in a cabinet or such and take some acetone on a swap and rub vigorously. If you lose the color and pattern, the wallboard is printed and you won't get good adhesion of those tiles without stripping or finding a good primer.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would certainly clean the wall before hand. With something like 409 all purpose cleaner. If you review several YouTube videos on how to install peel & stick tiles they all recommend cleaning the wall first. It appears yours are more of a wall paper than a tile. I would still clean the wall surface before installing and be sure it is thoroughly dry.

I was going to suggest going old school and use trisodium phosphate (TSP) but it can be caustic and it is generally meant for hard surfaces. I'm not sure what the walls/wallcovering in the RVs are actually made from.

I think a good cleaning before application of anything to the walls would be in order. I clean the spot I am going to put a command strip on with 409 just so I have a better chance of it sticking.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, I will try to clean then and then reattempt but it will be with a different tile as I was able to return these for a full refund.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Have you tried washing down the wall prior? Maybe with acetone?

Not quite the same, but I have been completely unable to use command-style hangers. They fall off after about a day...even when the area was properly cleaned with alcohol. I gave up. Something about the wall covering...
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so I took everyone's advice and did clean the walls this time around. I used mineral spirits and it seemed to have removed what felt like a wax coating from the wallpaper. It was a clear difference when you rubbed your hand across both before and after cleaning. I tiled the entire kitchen wall and checked it 24hrs later and it hasn't lifted anywhere. Granted, it was a different tile from a different manufacturer so not sure if it was the tiles or the walls at this point. I then cleaned the walls in the bathroom where I had the tile adhesion issues and reapplied one of the tiles that had peeled off of the wall. I checked it 24hrs later and it to remained firmly attached to the wall this time. So it turns out that the wallpaper used has some sort of waxy type coating on them that prevents items from adhering to it. Cleaning it with something that removes this coating (mineral spirits in my case) will allow items to adhere to it.

Name:	kitchen tiles.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	35295
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    USMC Veteran