User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several possibilities/reasons why an A/C unit freezes up, and it could be almost anyone of them or sometimes a combination of them. Not enough airflow across the evap. coil, low on refrigerant, freeze sensor in the wrong location or has fallen out or become faulty. Not enough airflow across the evap could be that the evap coil is dirty/clogged or an issue with the fan and or motor itself. Missing fan blades, fan blades caked with dust/dirt, motor not running at a high enough speed to provide the CFM of air flow required to make the evap coil work properly. A leak of the refrigerant can also make an A/C unit freeze up pretty quickly and that is certainly possible with as much bouncing around as these A/C units get when travelling. Many times you can see an "oily" spot on a refrigerant line or at the compressor or even at the condensor or evaporator coils. As already discussed, the freeze sensor issues and on RV A/C units the intake air side of things not being sealed properly and away from the outlet air side. That issue is quite common and is generally a fairly easy fix with some aluminized tape.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbealljr View Post
    We just purchased a 378MBS and the rear A/C unit freezes up just about every time we use it. We’re in southern Pa and the outside temp has been about 80’s and 90’s. Is there something I am missing? It seems to be struggling to keep the temp at 80 something.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you run the fan setting on hi the AC will be less likely to freeze. I would also make sure your filter is clean to ensure maximum airflow across the coils.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Factory Solar, Factory Disk Brakes, Heat Pump

2017 Reflection 29RS (Sold)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is high humidity inside the RV (humid day outside, grandson who takes long hot showers) and set the temperature lower than the AC can cool, it will freeze.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took me awhile to update on this, we’ve been on the move a lot…and run away from cooling season. I moved the thermocouple up in the coil 2” from the bottom. I did get a result, the coil now only freezes from the top down. Below the thermocouple stays unfrozen. Seems like it is 30% fixed still seems there is an issue.

I checked the exhaust air deflectors and they seem pretty sealed. So I got a IR thermometer put measured the air temp leaving both units. The rear one with the freeze problem blows ~10 degree warmer air than the exact same front unit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you are always going to have some frozen area on the coils. Does your other ac freeze in a similar fashion?

Try using your phone camera and light to look up/down into the duct runs...although
    I think that I remember these being a pretty good design. Also, air mixing in the plenum is always a suspect. Are the front and rear units both sealed the same in the plenum?
    If you can't find an apparent cause, I would just have it checked under warranty...but that can be hit or miss. Sometimes easier to figure it out yourself!
    Last edited by DECelt; 12-02-2021 at 06:36 AM.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only half the coil is frozen, that is an indicator of low charge.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbealljr View Post
    Took me awhile to update on this, we’ve been on the move a lot…and run away from cooling season. I moved the thermocouple up in the coil 2” from the bottom. I did get a result, the coil now only freezes from the top down. Below the thermocouple stays unfrozen. Seems like it is 30% fixed still seems there is an issue.

I checked the exhaust air deflectors and they seem pretty sealed. So I got a IR thermometer put measured the air temp leaving both units. The rear one with the freeze problem blows ~10 degree warmer air than the exact same front unit.

An IR thermometer is not going to yield any usable info in an air conditioner application. Break down and have a real tech look at it.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12