User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear A/C Constantly Freezing

We just purchased a 378MBS and the rear A/C unit freezes up just about every time we use it. We’re in southern Pa and the outside temp has been about 80’s and 90’s. Is there something I am missing? It seems to be struggling to keep the temp at 80 something.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbealljr View Post
    We just purchased a 378MBS and the rear A/C unit freezes up just about every time we use it. We’re in southern Pa and the outside temp has been about 80’s and 90’s. Is there something I am missing? It seems to be struggling to keep the temp at 80 something.

Thanks!!

How's the air flow coming out of the vents?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flow out the vents seems to be adequate. It does slow down once it is frozen. Every so often it sounds like there is an ice maker up in the ducts.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull the cover off inside and take a look - there should be a wire with a sensor on the end stuck in the fins, which monitors the temp to make sure it doesn't freeze up and defrosts. They fall out sometimes.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    Pull the cover off inside and take a look - there should be a wire with a sensor on the end stuck in the fins, which monitors the temp to make sure it doesn't freeze up and defrosts. They fall out sometimes.
    This is where I would look and if it is placed in the fins, look at where it is positioned as it may be misplaced. It should be in the center side to side and about 2" from the bottom.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was in the fins, bottom right hand corner. I moved it to center up 2”. Hopefully that works!! Thanks, I’ll give an update after running it for the rest of the day.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The freeze sensor will shut the AC down if it senses a freeze. It is not a fix for a unit that freezes up. That needs to be addressed.
    You have a low charge, collapsed or blocked duct or the divider baffle in the unit that seperates the supply air from the return is allowing cold air to leak back to the return side and causing the coil to freeze.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    The freeze sensor will shut the AC down if it senses a freeze. It is not a fix for a unit that freezes up. That needs to be addressed.
    You have a low charge, collapsed or blocked duct or the divider baffle in the unit that seperates the supply air from the return is allowing cold air to leak back to the return side and causing the coil to freeze.
    Perhaps some of your suggestions are potential solutions, but I can tell you from experience we had an issue with freezing up which ceased being an issue after I moved it from far to the left to the center and a couple inches from the bottom.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce-
    I have had some issues with forced rests and moving the sensor did help for awhile- now I am getting frozen coils.

Question for you just for clarification was your sensor shutting the unit down forcing you to do a resart or where your coils freezing up causing you to need to defrost it?

Thanks for entertaining my question as I troubleshoot as per the prior post.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    I had significant issues with this in a previous rig...the issue was caused by poorly sealed ductwork and a mixing of hot and cold air at the plenum. Or you could have a bad freeze sensor...

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast