User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uneven wear on new Reflection 340rds

Has anyone experience uneven tire wear on your Reflection 5th Wheel. I have a new 340RDS with around 7000 miles on it and I am getting heavy tire wear on the rear tire (door side) on inside. This is only affecting the door side rear tire. All other tires are wearing normally. Does not appear to be anything wrong with the wheel and the rig seems to tow normally.

Tire pressure is 70 psi on all 4 tires.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reflection Tire Wear.jpg  
    Last edited by rpusbach; 07-06-2021 at 05:32 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailer brand or axle brand means nothing anymore. You may or may not have tweaked it or it came from the factory like that.
    Dexter or Lippert makes no diff. It happens to too many RV trailers across all brands.
    Looks like you need an alignment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is yet another one of those things that the purchaser gets to fix. Frame company sends it to the manufacturers, they build on top of the frame and out the door it goes.
    Get your self to a trailer frame shop soon. The axel most likely need to be bent to correct this issue.

Another thought before going to the shop; make sure the castle nut is snugged up to the bearing.
    Last edited by Skilletface; 07-06-2021 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added comment
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I am going to file a warranty claim.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpusbach View Post
    I think I am going to file a warranty claim.
    If it were me I would start by talking to GD support and get a case open so there is a record of your problem. A good chance that it is a bent axel or bent spindle and may be looking at replacing the axel. A trailer alignment guy told me that he saw a lot of trailers that had wear on the back right tire because of hitting curbs and knocking the wheel out of alignment. Have you hit any curbs? Maybe the delivery driver bounced it off of a curb.

Talk to GD and see what they recommend, talk to Dexter axel and see what they say. Find a shop that works on trailer suspension and see what they say. Your ideal fix would be to replace the axel. That tire has a lot of wear on it. Good luck sounds like a real pain to deal with.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    If it were me I would start by talking to GD support and get a case open so there is a record of your problem. A good chance that it is a bent axel or bent spindle and may be looking at replacing the axel. A trailer alignment guy told me that he saw a lot of trailers that had wear on the back right tire because of hitting curbs and knocking the wheel out of alignment. Have you hit any curbs? Maybe the delivery driver bounced it off of a curb.

Talk to GD and see what they recommend, talk to Dexter axel and see what they say. Find a shop that works on trailer suspension and see what they say. Your ideal fix would be to replace the axel. That tire has a lot of wear on it. Good luck sounds like a real pain to deal with.
    Thank you. I am definitely going to Grand Design for a warranty claim. No I have not hit any curbs.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, bent axle. File the claim.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep... what hunter70 said. Good idea - filing a claim. I caught mine too late but found a good alignment shop in Orlando that was able to "re-align" the axels.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently battling to get a claim approved by Grand Design and the dealer. Getting the run around to say the least.

First it was haul it to the dealer 2 hours away. The dealer said we can get you in to just look at it in a month. After I pushed back strongly, they did agree to see me the following week just to look at it. They took pictures and measurements and said " Yes the axle is defective and needs to be replaced, we will update the claim you already filed and get back with you on an ETA"

Two weeks went by with crickets. I called the dealer and they said" Oh its not approved yet we are waiting on Grand Design who is working with Dexter and they are asking for more pictures with a straightedge. Of course they never bothered to call me and ask for that so we lost two weeks. I ended up getting under the RV and taking the pictures myself to avoid driving back to the dealer. I sent them to the dealer and talked with them on the phone. I called Grand Design the next day to escalate the claim and they told me the dealer still had not sent the pictures.

At this point I asked to speak with a supervisor. While she is very nice and assured me she would get it taken care of, several days have now passed with no communication. I have followed up again and am waiting on an answer.

I am very disappointed at this point with Grand Design and my dealer. This not the service I expected from Grand Design especially, since I specifically chose the brand due to perceived quality and warranty. I realize all RVs have issues but I am starting to get frustrated.

So far, I have had several issues and the only ones resolved are ones I have fixed myself:

- Day one (when I picked it up) Bathroom door and bedroom door finish peeling on edges - Dealer filed a claim but still not resolved since May

- First trip out, living room lights, awning, outside lights, all stoped working. Had to manually retract awning. Dealer said we can't get you in for a month to even look at it. I ended up fixing myself. turned out to be bad wire crimp from factory at the latching controller under the stairs. (Thankfully someone on this forum helped me)

- First long trip we discover this tire wear and axle issue - No resolution approved yet

- 12v lights above bed in slide stopped working. Not bulbs or a fuse in panel. Have not had a chance to troubleshoot yet.

- Yesterday my wife called me and said refrigerator stopped working, no display, nothing. Fuse and breaker in panel good. I ended up fixing myself. Was a 5 amp fuse on refrigerator control board (Once again thanks to this forum) I knew if I called the dealer it would be another month and we have trips planned this weekend and last two weeks of August. I hope and pray that it is not the fans on the back of the fridge that caused the fuse blow. This seems to be a common problem and that will mean another fight to get it fixed.

I know I am venting. Its not the problems that bother me the most, its the lack of service and response time both from Grand Design and the dealer that really sucks. Its like they don't expect you to actually use your $50,000 dollar RV. You can have all the warranty in the world, but if you can't get the manufacturer to approve the claims and get the dealer to fix them its not worth the paper its written on.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uneven wear on new Reflection 340rds

Quote Originally Posted by rpusbach View Post
    I specifically chose the brand due to perceived quality and warranty. I realize all RVs have issues but I am starting to get frustrated.
    I see this said over and over here and mostly on social media
    I don’t understand where people hear this from
    They are built the same way as any other trailer with the same components and have a warranty worse than others
    In fact many things in my imagine are low quality and cheap as they can come
    I knew this and didn’t care
    I had no idea how their customer service was before I bought either
    I bought for the features and the price

Whenever I have an issue I immediately take pictures and email them with the complaint to GD directly
    They may not like this bought my dealer is 800 miles away and I will never see them again
    I have always had good communication with GD although as of late very slow but that is due to the exponential sales growth and is unavoidable

Maybe the next time an issue arises try avoiding the dealer and go direct

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast