Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Demco Slider - Grease or No Grease.

I have a Demco Hijacker auto slider and a MorRyde pin box.

Lately it seems it takes a bit more of a push to get under the pin box and hitched. I generally leave the camper about 1 inch lower than the hitch so there is some friction/resistance hitching and unhitching but the hitch latches up quite well that way.

I can't use a lube plate with this set up so I put a light coating of grease on the bottom of the pin box hitch. Wow - smooth as silk hitching and unhitching.

But I am not really a fan of having grease on either the pin box or the fifth wheel hitch.

What do you do with your slider???
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I can't use a lube plate with this set up so I put a light coating of grease on the bottom of the pin box hitch. Wow - smooth as silk hitching and unhitching.
    What do you do with your slider???
    Agreed. I don't like grease either. It attracts dirt and grit to the hitch.
    Unfortunately, I also believe it is needed for proper operation IMHO. I do have a lube plate which does help. I wipe the plate, pin, all hitch surfaces to be clean and dry before leaving on a trip. Then apply a light coating to all of the surfaces that have any contact. Maybe the hitch latching mechanism too, if it visually needs it. At this point I leave it until I return home, unless the trip is longer (maybe a week or more) or things get dirty. It stays on until I get ready for the next trip.

So far the hitch works very smooth, no issues. Even the paint doesn't look as bad as I would expect. To me, keeping it clean is just as important as the lube.

I guess I should say that light means; no blobs and just a visual sheen to it. You would look at it and say "yea, I think there is grease on it".

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a lube plate when I had the Demco Autoslider (but was with a "standard" LCI pin box). Demco specified a lube plate thickness to use with the autoslider which was easy to do. No issues over the two years I used it and loved that I didn't have a bunch of grease on it.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got almost 40,000 miles on my Hijacker and the dealer told me to just use silicone, so that is all I've ever used. The hitch is in great shape. So far I've replaced the rubber bumper and the pivot pin for the jaws, it had a little wear. I think the key is to keep everything clean, and whenever it's not hitched I keep the tonneau cover closed on the truck.
    JK