User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ram 1500 reg cab as a TV

First off, I’d like to point out, I’m new to towing travel trailers. That said I’m very interested in the 2150rb. I’ve been looking at what my vehicle can tow and I seem to be within the parameters but I’d really like some expert advice before I go ahead. I have a:

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT with a 5.7L hemi (and only 60k mi.)
    regular cab (120” wb) 2wd with a factory tow package.

3.92 axles,
    GVWR 6350
    Payload 1600
    Curb weight 4620
    GCWR 14000
    GTWR 9250

2passengers @ 300lbs

Assuming I add top of the line sway control and WD hitch, I’m still a bit concerned about stability with the shorter wheelbase and lighter truck. I believe I have enough power and cargo capacity to pull this trailer but I’d love some real world advice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be fine just get a good WDH like the Equalizer or Weighsafe and you will be fine. That 2150 is a good size TT for that truck in my opinion. That’s what we had before the 2600 we got now and it was a great towing trailer with our 09 1500 crew cab 2wd with 4.10s. The only thing I didn’t like was the 5 speed auto trans. The temp on it and the engine oil would get pretty hot going up into the mountains. But it never overheated or layed down on us. It would just pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tranny is a bit of concern for sure. I was thinking about getting an external cooler installed and a trans temp gauge so I can keep an eye on it. Thanks a lot for your reply, makes me feel a lot better about it. I was also considering air bags but I’m not 100% sure they would drastically improve strability with this setup

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The tranny is a bit of concern for sure. I was thinking about getting an external cooler installed and a trans temp gauge so I can keep an eye on it. Thanks a lot for your reply, makes me feel a lot better about it. I was also considering air bags but I’m not 100% sure they would drastically improve strability with this setup
    I think it has the same trans as my 09 and I had 140k on it and just had regular maintenance done on the trans anc never had any issues. I had airbags on mine but I couldn’t tell any difference with them. Like I said just get a good WDH setup.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Definitely will need an external trans cooler

This is a must

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said it has the tow package so I would think it already has an external trans cooler. My 09 had one and it was made into the a/c condenser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled our last trailer with an 03 GMC Sierra regular cab, short bed, 2WD, and factory tow package. The porpoising and suck from passing big rigs made the journeys an exhausting adventure. Sold it following summer. Some spots of highway in town the expansion joints are about the same as the WB and there where a few times my wife had to hold down 2nd base the porpoising was so bad.
    2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l aka "Luci"
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE aka "Desi"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would also need a trailer brake controller. I installed the tekonsha p3 and it did great

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct, with the tow package, it does come with an external trans cooler... I just checked the specs. I’ll just get a gauge installed and see if I need any auxiliary cooling.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suber81083 View Post
    You would also need a trailer brake controller. I installed the tekonsha p3 and it did great

Yes for sure, thanks for that I wlll definitely check that one out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast