User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I agree with this I think the safety margin needs to go up. My 315rlts has 2 5200 axles for 10400 pounds, but the GVWR is 10995. I believe this is the case for many rigs and the thought process on the manufactures is misplaced. They should not count on tongue or pin weight as a safety margin for the axles.
    That is why when I had a bent axle, I replaced everything. New axles, springs, wheels, and tires. I feel that the suspension should be able to carry the full GVWR of the trailer.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel with full fresh water which puts me near gvwr. That ends up in the other tanks if I have to drive before dumping which happens on occasion. But I would never add fresh water and not have the other tanks empty.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand design states in their user manual that waste tanks should be empty when traveling. When we travel, I make sure that as I move from a campsite to a dump station that I take bumps nice and easy. I drive in a manner to ensure the tires on the RV never leave the road surface. We typically travel with 1/3 to 1/2 fill in our freshwater tank. We compensate at campsites by using extra filtration if necessary.
    2020 Solitude 373FB-R,
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 DRW Long Bed,
    TST 570 TPMS, MORryde Pinbox, B&W 25K Companion, Garmin RV785MT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, I should happen upon this, I spoke with a GD rep this very morning over the propane regulator recall, and the subject of undercarriage came up. We have an Imagine 2600 RB, my first trip was a 15 hour pull, with a full fresh water tank, it is situated directly above the axles. Got home to two flat springs, the other two followed soon after, they were replaced with heavier units, next pull bent an axle on a loaded ready for a long weekend trip, normal stuff, full tank of water. It had 3500 lb springs and axles under it.
    Trailer gvw is 7000, loaded weight was 6800, brand new trailer. It now has two 7000 lb axles, 4400 lb springs, a dexter ez flex kit and wet bolts, 12 inch brakes, e rated wheels and tires. Zero issues now. Fact is, the unit should be built to use repeatedly, some safety margin built in, of which, no matter the manufacturer, there is none now. These things are built right on the edge of failure, to keep costs down on the production end, more in the pockets of shareholders, less concern for customers. Mine was an expensive lesson on a brand new unit, none of which the manufacturer admitted any fault. They did however, initially pay for new 4400 lb springs, but denied any fault in the failure, interestingly, mine is a 2019, in 2020, the 2600 rb was upgraded to heavier suspension.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    Hmmm . . . That is a possibility. The sticker on the door reminds you about the cargo capacity and the weight of a full tank of freshwater. It does not say anything about the other tanks.

This past weekend I didn't stop at the CG dump station because of the line. I didn't plan on dumping because I knew there would be a line. I planned on taking the trailer back to our storage facility and tuck it in ahead of Elsa and dump there. Our storage was 30 miles away from the CG. We had 2/3 black, 2/3 grey, 1/3 grey on board. So about 70 gallons grey/black. Very little in the fresh. I do have to say that the trailer did tow VERY NICE with the extra weights in the tanks.

We are getting ready to take a trip north where we will have a couple places with no sewer at site and no water. So I know I'll be towing with a mostly full freshwater. (Less what gets sucked out.) I would be interested to know how many folks regularly tow with decent quantities in their grey, black, and fresh water tanks.
    I do not use campgrounds. Boondocking 100%, in most cases a long tow, with quite a bit of dirt roads leading into camp. I always tow home with full waste tanks. Been doing this for 30 years. I do believe in upgraded suspension though. My last TT was upgraded from 5200# axles to 7000#. My Momentum has the 8000# axle upgrade.

I would not own a RV that could not travel with full tanks. That goes for a lot of things. If it will not do what I want it to, I upgrade it so it will.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also speak from experience, generally, we camp way back in the woods, my last unit was a keystone cougar 244 fifth wheel, bought new and traded in for the imagine we have now, based on the track record of the owners of Keystone, who also started up GD. We owned the cougar thirteen years with nary a single issue, water tank always full going in, all the other tanks full on the way out. I never modified anything on the cougar, but the Imagine has cost me a new suspension in it's entirety. It's still new, a 2019, with 52 road hours on it, hasn't been in the bush yet. I am less than impressed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12