User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting rotten egg smell in trailer

We have been parked for about three months. Today we have a rotten egg smell coming in the trailer. What I always do is leave my black tanks closed until ready to dump. I leave gray-1 open all the time. (shower/bathroom sink washer). Gray-2 which is kitchen sink I leave closed until full. Not sure why smell is so bad today. I did dump both black tanks and Gray-2. I believe smell is coming from Gray-2. Not sure whats going on.
    2018 Ram CC,LB DRW Longhorn 6.7, AISIN, 4.10s

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of thoughts:
    1) Check the air admittance valve; mine is located under the sink; open cabinets under kitchen and bathroom sink and see if smell is stronger there. This is a pretty cheap and easy fix. Stock one in RV will likely resemble this: https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-39012-A...e-afdddb9f06c9
    2) I use grey tank deoderizer; another cheap and easy step. Yes, gray water stinks too.
    3) You may want to consider leaving all tanks closed; smell can come in from park sewer.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akfiredog377 View Post
    We have been parked for about three months. Today we have a rotten egg smell coming in the trailer. What I always do is leave my black tanks closed until ready to dump. I leave gray-1 open all the time. (shower/bathroom sink washer). Gray-2 which is kitchen sink I leave closed until full. Not sure why smell is so bad today. I did dump both black tanks and Gray-2. I believe smell is coming from Gray-2. Not sure whats going on.

We went a year with no problems and then about a month ago we had a 'smell'. Traced it to the kitchen sink, Gray 1. We put some pine sol down the sink with some water. Sloshed it around on the way to storage and then dumped. No more smell. Now we are splitting a black tank treatment between grey 1 and grey 2 each trip. Our grey 2 shouldn't be a problem because it is bath only. But obviously what little food waste gets down the sink does make it smell after a bit. I keep all tanks closed until ready to dump.

I did think it was the AAV under the sink and was ready to replace it but the pine sol treatment resolved the smell. The valve may still be bad but we aren't smelling anything. We'll see.

Another source for rotten egg or Sulphur smell is the water heater. You would only notice that when the hot water is running.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember how good those pickled eggs were the day before? It does it to me everytime. Lol
    Seriously, I always keep the grey close and also use the geo method in the grey as in the black. As mentioned above, I'd drop some Pinesol in there and slosh it around. If your stationary, maybe add some Pinesol and fill it up with water for a day or 2.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. From what my wife said is the smell came in when I dumped Gray-2 and it came from the drain. I think the AAV valve is ok, but I will have to troubleshoot more.
    2018 Ram CC,LB DRW Longhorn 6.7, AISIN, 4.10s

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometime I get a smell when dumping. Sometimes I think it is from the water exiting the tank so fast it sucks the drain water from the sinks. I don't know if that is possible.

Sometimes I think it is the waff of bad air from the stack vent sneaking back into the camper (like when the bathroom vent is open).

Sometimes when I run the bathroom fan with all the doors and windows closed we seem to get a foul odor. So now we crack a window or leave the door open.

I've replaced both AAV valves. No improvement.

We did get some bad, smelly water about a month ago. It made the ice cubes stink which our first clue we needed to get some better filters.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda late responding, I just came across this post.
    Remember, while you're camping/using your camper there will always be water in the drain traps to prevent odors from entering, while in storage and not being used, water will evaporate through the vent system allowing an open path for odors from the tanks to the inside of the camper.
    Be sure to keep stoppers in the drains and plenty of water in the toilet to prevent odors.
    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flush the hot water tank, then replace the anode rod, if your hot water tanks has one.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another source of a similar smell is the battery.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana