User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A big giant ughhh!!!

With our country getting back to normalcy, we've had our shots, got to plan and start a vacation. Went to San Diego and met up with our kids, had a nice time at Mission Bay RV and spent time on the beach with Grandkids and Kids. Then Karen and I took off for the coast area, stopped in Santa Barbara and tried a new place through thousand trails, then on to Pinnacles National Monument, camped out and did some hikes, hot but beautiful area, then on to the redwoods and stayed in Myers Flat, met some great people and actually camped right next to two more Grand Design owners, one had a new 303 and one had a new 337. being that we had the 303 and now have the 337, we were able to cuss and discuss some of our likes and dislikes and stuff. It was pretty neat seemed like a mini rally and there were a couple more Grand Design Imagines in the place. We saw plenty of GD on the road, a lot more than we did a year or so back. So now on to our UGHHH. After a couple weeks doing our thing, next stop was Lake Tahoe to spend a few days and do 4th of July and then on to Yosemite and Sequoia before heading home around the 15th. That would be our month trip for this year. When we got into South Lake Tahoe, Hwy 50 and Hwy 89, just after we passed through the intersection, north bound, just a couple miles from camp, BANG, a black BMW zipping along must not have known how to maneuver the curve where the road merges, she crossed all the lanes and even though we were in the fast lane, she made contact with the front passenger side of our truck, then we zigged and zagged into the center lane, then back across the road and finally came to rest on the side walk. Gladly no one was hurt. now home with both truck and trailer, truck is at the GM Body Shop waiting on estimates and Trailer is here at home waiting on insurance decision. maybe some twist to the frame, but the hitch assembly has moved, bedroom floor where it meets the closet separated, exterior walls show some bow, roof has at least four separated plywood sheets with screws sticking up and pushing on rubber roof, this is in addition to the two big slide outs that are now crooked and make a terrible noise when they are moved. so what a big ugh, just in hopes we get everything back repaired correctly or replaced with something we like. Thanks for listening. Glad to be home, Glad to be Safe. until we're back on the road, take care. Jeff & Karen.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer to hear about your troubles. I hope all that damage to the camper gets fixed right. I would be pretty upset and not very happy with that other driver.

We drove around Lake Tahoe from Carson City a few weeks back. We consider the drive to the lake and around to where we could divert off on the West side to Truckee one of our most forgettable drives of our trip so far (since March). Fast drivers, inattentive drivers, rude drivers, impatient drivers, crowds, stop-and-go traffic, no parking places - you name it. And wow, they all sure hate to have to follow behind a big truck no matter how many cars are in front of me. Sure glad we decided not to stay at the lake and I doubt we'll ever return.

It is our worst fear that folks coming around the curves from the opposite direction at too high a rate of speed might cross the center line and cause accidents. Not sure if that was your case. Hang in there.

My apologies to those who like the area for my experience and feeling. I can see how it could be nice. It just wasn't our 'cup of tea'.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear of all the damage...but glad all are unhurt....

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a great way to end up what had been a nice outing. But you came through it without getting hurt, most important. With the damage you have push for a total.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replies, just to answer a couple questions, northbound through the intersection at Lake Tahoe Blvd and 50 / 89 there is a merge lane from the east, she came form that and didn't merge, came across from there passed the slow lane and got me while I was in the fast lane, we ended up on the sidewalk near bevmo. as far as pushing for total, yep, for both vehicles. i don't want the trailer with all the twisting and who's to say the plumbing is any good any more either. Thanks again for listening. And just to add, we love to explore new areas too, just don't like the congestion and of course people that think they need to be driving like they're going to a fire. OH, and yep!!!!! we haven't forgotten how thankful we are that no one was injured. thankful we didn't end up in the parking lot or cross oncoming traffic or anyone was walking along the side walk. it would have been really ugly. Thankful in more ways than a few, that's for sure.
    Last edited by JFF&KRN; 07-09-2021 at 06:56 AM.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your incident. Glad no one got hurt. Hopefully insurance will make a quick decision.
    We just went thru similar. Our trailer got T boned. Damage didn't look too bad to me but eventually our insurance company totaled it. Waiting on a replacement now.
    You can read about it here.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...nd-experiences
    Last edited by jleonard; 07-09-2021 at 08:29 AM.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are terribly scary stories and a reminder that you can totally be taking care of your business and still have another driver or conditions create a terrible scenario.
    Glad you are all safe, and wishing you a speedy and fair resolution to the damage / replacement claims.
    Godspeed.
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a total bummer. Glad you're alright.

Is Mission Bay RV still pretty much a parking lot with hookups?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, but they apparently are still waiting on and working with San Diego to get rid of the old mobile home park, I think they are now part of camperland as well. parking lot kind of, but we have had a couple nice spots as we request and pay a little bit to get a nice spot, the kids got the spots next to the grass area and all is nice and close to the beach so the grandkids have a ball. nice times, that's what we like, parking lot, yeah but like said, the kids like it and it's a reason to get out of town.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed there about 4 years ago. The mobile home park was a ghost town there. San Diego is really dragging their feet on that project.

We enjoyed the park too. My daughter was less than a year old and my son was 4. My wife had a conference to go to over off I-8. So the kids and I would load the wagon and head to the beach each day. They had a blast. The park, for the most park, was pretty clean, and MUCH cheaper than Campland.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast