User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Michigan is home.
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Norcold 2118SsT Keeps blowing fuse

    We have a 2021 Momentum 397 with the dreaded Norcold 2118sst refrigerator.

    We were boon docking for the last 2 weeks and running the fridge off of propane. The day before we left the fridge wasn't working, long story short.... the burner would ignite and run for about 10-15 minutes. The compartment would get hot and when the fans kicked on, the 5a fuse on the control panel (back of the fridge) would blow. After going through several fuses, we gave up on it.
    We are now back on a full hookup site. Thew fridge ran fine on AC power for 3 days until yesterday....the same 5a fuse started blowing again.
    Im wondering, bad control board AND bad fans??
    Anyways, I switched the 5a fuse to a 7.5a fuse and it has been 24 hours (knock on wood) without the fuse blowing.

    We are in the Northern upper peninsula of Michigan, on our way to Montana next week.
    The closest RV tech is 2.5 hours away, so I am wondering what my fellow Grand Designers think?!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Paid my dues 😁 FT4NOW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    4,573
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been previous discussions on this. My Norcold 1210 recently blew the 5A fuse and while troubleshooting I found one of my fans died. I replaced the fuse and all is well. I do plan to replace the broken fan and am considering the Titan fan fridge kit for the back which has a thermostat control for fan operation. I dont think you have a bad control board, I'd focus more on the fans first.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

    SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Michigan is home.
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the good intel, I am going to look into that fan kit!

  4. #4
    Fireside Member bobter3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Valley Head, WV
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    There have been previous discussions on this. My Norcold 1210 recently blew the 5A fuse and while troubleshooting I found one of my fans died. I replaced the fuse and all is well. I do plan to replace the broken fan and am considering the Titan fan fridge kit for the back which has a thermostat control for fan operation. I dont think you have a bad control board, I'd focus more on the fans first.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Same here. Last summer had the same thing happen. Disconnect one of the fans to determine which is bad to get thru trip then replace both when you can. Knock on wood, no issues since!! only other added fan to fridge is the interior units and what a difference that made!!
    2020 337RLS
    2018 F350 4WD CCLB Dually Diesel
    2010 FLHTCU and 2021 Explorer
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

  5. #5
    Seasoned Camper
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewber View Post
    Thanks for the good intel, I am going to look into that fan kit!
    Titan fan kit is the way to go. You won't regret it. Wire them to the 12v supply direct. They have their own controller, and it is set to come on at 113 degrees F. Turns off at 68 degrees. I actually installed 2 sets. I don't know that my OEM fans ever come on at all anymore - and I really don't care. Have been trouble free for 9 months straight and the fridge cools to low 30s routinely.
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Michigan is home.
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you post a picture of how you wired them in?

  7. #7
    Seasoned Camper
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewber View Post
    Can you post a picture of how you wired them in?
    3 pics attached. One showing two Titan controllers mounted on back of fridge. Each has its leads coiled and zip tied.
    Distant pic shows the black-shielded leads exposed to show a small red and a red/black wire. The red wires are connected to 12v hot (white / orange) and /black are connected to 12v common (white) with automotive fusible links. Each fuse holder has a separate 2A fuse for each Titan controller (controls a pair of fans). Close-up pic shows connections in better detail. Pulled leads to top behind fridge, and BOTH sets of Titan fans mounted to my TOP fridge compartment vent. I reasoned that the Titans will pull hot air up the chase. But I know some have mounted dual sets one below a one above...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6075.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	35395
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6072.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	35396
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6074.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	35397
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Michigan is home.
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammy&Grandad View Post
    3 pics attached. One showing two Titan controllers mounted on back of fridge. Each has its leads coiled and zip tied.
    Distant pic shows the black-shielded leads exposed to show a small red and a red/black wire. The red wires are connected to 12v hot (white / orange) and /black are connected to 12v common (white) with automotive fusible links. Each fuse holder has a separate 2A fuse for each Titan controller (controls a pair of fans). Close-up pic shows connections in better detail. Pulled leads to top behind fridge, and BOTH sets of Titan fans mounted to my TOP fridge compartment vent. I reasoned that the Titans will pull hot air up the chase. But I know some have mounted dual sets one below a one above...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6075.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	35395
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6072.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	35396
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6074.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	35397




    That is very helpful thank you!

  9. #9
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going through this issue as I type... Just replaced a fan and all is well. I hope there is not a next time but if there is I'll do the TITAN's too.

    Question: Do the "stock" fans always run or turn on/off at a given temperature.

    Cheers-Greg

  10. #10
    Site Team xrated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    "Murvul", TN
    Posts
    3,695
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stock fans on a 2118 have a thermo-disc that is on the fins of the upper heat exchanger. That disc doesn't allow the fans to come on soon enough in my opinion....130 degrees before they turn on. The Titan fan kit I have will turn the fans on at 68 degrees, sensed from it's own thermostat probe, and then at around 113-115 degrees the fans will kick into their highest speed....if you have it selected for automatic operation. If you run it in manual mode, they run at whichever speed you select....and if I remember correctly, there are six speeds. If you do install one of these, remember to turn the controller off at the end of your camping trip otherwise the fans will run, even if the fridge is turned off and you will run your trailer batteries completely down.....if you aren't plugged into shore power at home, or have a solar setup for charging the batteries.

    Controller mounted on side of wall that is next to the 2118 Norcold. The temperature probe is located in the back of the fridge compartment area where the upper and lower outside vents are located....
    Last edited by xrated; 07-22-2021 at 11:37 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

    "If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.