User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV septic systems

Question. I'm full timing and have been for more than 15 yrs now. I know there are numerous RV septic products out there, from order killing add ons to bio waste additives. I have started using "rid x" in my black waste tank a while back. So far it has done a fine job, keeping the tank clean (but not cleaning or restoring the sensors). My question is...am I in any way hurting the tank, components or anything else? I can get the rid x at any home store so it is convenient.
    Any input is welcomed. I posted this as a new thread since I couldn't find a related post, sorry if I screwed up .
    2010 Dodge 3500 Dually
    2018 375 RES
    Wichita KS area

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you will likely get a bunch of different responses on why everyone does to keep their tanks (and sensors) in good working order. The most popular method is the GEO method. Do a google search and you will see hundreds of articles on it. In short, you can use a water softening agent such as Calgon and a detergent/cleaning agent such as Dawn dish soap. I personally use 2 caps of Calgon and a big squirt (maybe 3-4 ounces) of Dawn and mix it with approximately 5 gallons of fresh water and put that in each of my tanks after dumping them. It stays in there while in transit and until the next dumping and seems to do the trick as I haven't experienced any odors and my sensors all work properly.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug1951 View Post
    Question. I'm full timing and have been for more than 15 yrs now. I know there are numerous RV septic products out there, from order killing add ons to bio waste additives. I have started using "rid x" in my black waste tank a while back. So far it has done a fine job, keeping the tank clean (but not cleaning or restoring the sensors). My question is...am I in any way hurting the tank, components or anything else? I can get the rid x at any home store so it is convenient.
    Any input is welcomed. I posted this as a new thread since I couldn't find a related post, sorry if I screwed up .
    Everybody has their own formula for the black tank. My only comment is that I don't believe the waste will be in your RV black tank long enough for the Rid-x to do any good. Rid-x is meant to be added monthly (according to their website). So it takes at least have that time to do any good. And then you keep adding it to keep the bacteria level up. If you are adding it to your black tank every time you dump, lets say, every 5-7 days I wouldn't think it would have enough time to be effective. An RV black tank is NOT a septic system and the condition of 'septic' does not occur.

I work for a City and in some of our lift stations odor control using hydrogen peroxide injection does not work because the flow is too great and the waste never has a chance to become 'septic'. I would think the same principal applies to an RV black tank that is being dumped on a regular basis.

I'm guessing you are spending money on Rid-x and it is really having no affect on your RV black tank. Use of plenty of water will also keep your tank clean. Addition of water softener and detergent may clean your sensors on travel days.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The water softener is mainly to change the condition of the water to prevent buildup/adhesion to the tank walls and sensors. It does this by removing hard water minerals and build-up of scum/debris at the water line...in short it makes the water slippery and the walls in the tank become hydrophobic making everything fall back into the water solution in the tank instead of sticking to the walls/sensors and then drying.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black water tanks are holding tanks, not septic systems.

My "stuff" doesn't stay in it long enough for anything like Rid-X to work.

I use Geo method and in between, plain water.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the input. I agree the black tank is not a septic tank and gets dumped more often than a septic tank. I have used the UNIQUE line of products, with favorable results. Perhaps I need to revisit my usage. I will say that there isn't any solid waste using RIDIX that I can see. But still have the old problem with the sensors. UNIQUE makes a sensor cleaner product, but I've had no luck using it.
    Thank You for all the input and suggestions. Since I'm full time and don't really travel I have time to try all the suggestions and look into the outcome.
    Drive safe and keep it between the lines.
    2010 Dodge 3500 Dually
    2018 375 RES
    Wichita KS area

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug1951 View Post
    Thanks to all for the input. I agree the black tank is not a septic tank and gets dumped more often than a septic tank. I have used the UNIQUE line of products, with favorable results. Perhaps I need to revisit my usage. I will say that there isn't any solid waste using RIDIX that I can see. But still have the old problem with the sensors. UNIQUE makes a sensor cleaner product, but I've had no luck using it.
    Thank You for all the input and suggestions. Since I'm full time and don't really travel I have time to try all the suggestions and look into the outcome.
    Drive safe and keep it between the lines.
    Give this short article a read. It also comes with a recipe that we've been using. It's cheap so you don't have much to loose. https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as sensors are concerned, I've pretty much given up using them a long time ago. After a bit, you just know inherently how long you can go between dumping and flushing. I would think full-timing and not moving much, you pretty much know when the tanks are full.

I use alot of water, and I can say that even after just a couple days, I have very little solids other than tissue. So, not sure you can say the reduced solids are due to rid-x.

Not saying it's not interesting or "fun" to try to figure out what works and what doesn't, but I think there's other things I'd rather do.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS