User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water in Door Bottom Trim?

I just came back from the camper after the tropical storm and noticed that when I swung the door open water seemed to pour out of the bottom of the door. I flipped it back and forth a few times and quite a bit ended up coming out.

It was getting dark, so I couldn't really investigate much. But, it looks like water may be getting into the door from either the window or (more likely) the bottom metal trim. There's no caulk on that bottom edge and never has been. I don't think there's any caulk around the edges of the door at all. (the door not the door frame) I never noticed this happen before, but who knows. It may have always been this way.

Should I caulk those seams? Surely, this isn't normal...
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    I just came back from the camper after the tropical storm and noticed that when I swung the door open water seemed to pour out of the bottom of the door. I flipped it back and forth a few times and quite a bit ended up coming out.

It was getting dark, so I couldn't really investigate much. But, it looks like water may be getting into the door from either the window or (more likely) the bottom metal trim. There's no caulk on that bottom edge and never has been. I don't think there's any caulk around the edges of the door at all. (the door not the door frame) I never noticed this happen before, but who knows. It may have always been this way.

Should I caulk those seams? Surely, this isn't normal...
    I would certainly put some silicone caulk on any seam or joint that doesn't appear to have it. There could/should be butyl tape in there for a sealant. They usually put that on before putting in the door or window. You hope, so caulking would be a god back-up.

With the driving rains we had from Elsa I think all bets were off with water intrusion. I think I had a roof drip on my house because rain was being driven up under my ridge cap on our metal roof. With 30-40 mph, or more, driving rain water is bound to get in somewhere. Luckily in storage I have an RV on the south side of our TT so that helps, us.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's normal.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. It's been like this for a couple years and no sign of delamination, so I guess it's fine. Just seemed odd.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB