User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Close call today while towing near Bryce Canyon NP

My wife and I left Bryce Canyon this morning for Moab. We were towing our Solitude 310GK on a two lane highway when I saw a truck approaching from the other direction. When he was about 200' away (rough guess), a kayak fell off his roof. It started tumbling towards me. I immediately started moving to the right shoulder which was very narrow and dropped off sharply. I tried to react quickly but not over-correct. It's a fine line while towing a 5th wheel! Anyway, that kayak couldn't have missed me by more than a few inches. It may have even hit a tire on the truck or RV. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had run over it but I don't think it would have been pretty.

Once my heart started beating again I was wondering what would have happened if that kayak had fallen off the truck just 1 or 2 seconds sooner. It would have been directly in front of me with nowhere for me to go. The good news is Bryce Canyon was stunning and the drive to Moab had some beautiful spots as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3490.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	35345

Name:	IMG_3474.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	35346
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a close call for sure. You never know how it would have turned out if you hit it. Last week at about 75 mph I hit a large Igloo type cooler straight on. I couldn't swerve so just held on and hit it full force. It made a huge noise and went flying 2 lanes over like a missed NFL field goal attempt. It luckily didn't hit any other cars. I stopped to assess the damage and was amazed that the plastic bumper on my car didn't have a scratch on it!

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    My wife and I left Bryce Canyon this morning for Moab. We were towing our Solitude 310GK on a two lane highway when I saw a truck approaching from the other direction. When he was about 200' away (rough guess), a kayak fell off his roof. It started tumbling towards me. I immediately started moving to the right shoulder which was very narrow and dropped off sharply. I tried to react quickly but not over-correct. It's a fine line while towing a 5th wheel! Anyway, that kayak couldn't have missed me by more than a few inches. It may have even hit a tire on the truck or RV. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had run over it but I don't think it would have been pretty.

Once my heart started beating again I was wondering what would have happened if that kayak had fallen off the truck just 1 or 2 seconds sooner. It would have been directly in front of me with nowhere for me to go. The good news is Bryce Canyon was stunning and the drive to Moab had some beautiful spots as well.

This is a conversation I have with my wife all the time. If you are Towing, your absolute best bet is to keep your wheels straight. Obviously, this is much easier said than done, but, when Towing you have to keep it straight.

There have been a few occasions where I have had to take my own advice and it is not easy to keep that wheel straight when you are looking at a crash. But, if you try whipping that trailer around to avoid an obstacle, then you run the risk of that trailer whipping you around and causing a much worse accident (or rollover) than the initial accident would have been.

I am glad you missed the kayak and did not over correct getting back onto the highway.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bryce is a beautiful area. I'm glad trouble slide right on by you Brian.

Brakes and hold your line are the best thing you can do on a motorcycle too. Swerving to avoid a deer might be the last thing you do. Towing too.

Safe travels everyone, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful pictures.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on taking good evasive action.
    Could have been a bad scene.
    Beautiful pictures.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are ok! The pictures look amazing. Utah is on our list now that we have a new 5th wheel.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Close call for sure. Good and quick reaction. Tks for sharing those really nice pics.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two years ago I took a retirement gig working for a canoe outfitter. As I tied a pair of canoes on his truck, he looked at them and nodded his approval. I told him "I've been canoeing for 25 years, haven't lost a canoe yet, and I don't want to start with one of yours."

In May / June we took a 6-week trip and saw 5 National parks, and a few State parks and National monuments. Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, and Bryce in Utah were all stunning in their own ways.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post

First off, glad you are all ok and you averted it. Second your pictures are absolutely stunning. Glad all is ok and you get to experience the sheer majesty of this great land!
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast