User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rocking and rolling

This may be a question for some engineers or the super mechanically inclined. So here goes, put your thinking cap on and keep an open mind, please. just need some help to understand and maybe where to go for some detailed professional advice opinions and or comments.
    So, some may have read earlier, we were involved in an accident last week. We were travelling in the fast lane, about 25 mph, best I know. a small vehicle came from the passenger side, hit the front of the truck, not the trailer. during this event, we swerved to the left, then to the right, then to the left before coming to rest on the sidewalk / curb and gutter. So now is where I have the thoughts. After reviewing pictures of black marks on the roadway, it appears that the truck maybe, and the trailer most likely were doing the walk form one side to the other as the black marks come and go, kind of like a skip, on each side of where the trailer was going. Best way I can explain it, tipping back and forth but not tipping over. So with some visible damage to the frame in the front basement, separated floor where the bedroom meets the closet, and at least five roof panels separated, not to mention what I can't see. My thought is the stress that has been put on the wheels, tires, axles and springs etc. where the axles connect to the frame. If they are going to fix it and not deem a total loss, My thought is to make sure they replace the axles, wheels and tires along with the hitch etc. sorry for the long winded explanation, thanks in advance and if anyone knows structurally who i could contact, that would be great.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly suspect with frame, panel, and roof damage it will be deemed a loss. But to answer your question in my completely unprofessional opinion.... Yeah, I'd have the suspension on the trailer replaced - I bet they find stress cracks in the welds for the hangers, and I'd bet the leaves in the springs are not in line anymore. Look to see if the U-bolts slid on the axle any; if it tipped up on the left side then the right then that was a lot of lateral stress on those U-bolts.
    The axles themselves are pretty sturdy - I'd be surprised if there was any damage to the bearings or spindles. But popping the dust caps off and inspecting the outer bearings will probably let you know.
    Good luck with the situation, and glad to hear you guys are okay!
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I highly suspect with frame, panel, and roof damage it will be deemed a loss. But to answer your question in my completely unprofessional opinion.... Yeah, I'd have the suspension on the trailer replaced - I bet they find stress cracks in the welds for the hangers, and I'd bet the leaves in the springs are not in line anymore. Look to see if the U-bolts slid on the axle any; if it tipped up on the left side then the right then that was a lot of lateral stress on those U-bolts.
    The axles themselves are pretty sturdy - I'd be surprised if there was any damage to the bearings or spindles. But popping the dust caps off and inspecting the outer bearings will probably let you know.
    Good luck with the situation, and glad to hear you guys are okay!
    I have to agree with this assessment. Consider your rig a total loss.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be a shocking surprise to me for anything less than a total with the visual damage you describe. I've have seen rigs totaled for less! In the case they don't, remember YOU are in control, not the insurance company, and you should insist the frame and all suspension is measured to specification. Clearly, you had tremendous flex with it rocking side-to--side. I'd wager geometry pin to axle center is wonky.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad everyone is ok.
    I would also suspect that it will be totaled. Here is a link to mine, up for action now, but you can look at the pics and get a feeling about yours.

https://www.copart.com/lot/43681621/...ne-ga-savannah

And the insurance company never looked at it in person it was done thru pictures so take lots of them if you still can.
    Hope it works out, good luck.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just an update: As of this last week, we are still in the waiting process from the insurance company. I was able to push the shop a little, (still don't want to get them upset) but it is our rig. So they sent another report to the adjuster, that was yesterday and after some more tear down. I am just baffled that the insurance company would spend, at this time about $3000 to do an assessment without sending anyone out. hopefully now with the second list of things, roof inside crown molding cracks and torn carpet in addition to the other stuff, we will get somewhere. Just weird how as of Thursday the 5th of August, we are at 5 weeks since the accident and haven't gotten any final answers yet. As far as the truck, they are just under $20K for repairs, in the process for that now. Well, it is what it is. I will keep you posted. Have a great weekend to all and hope to get back at some traveling and sight seeing sooner than later.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were just over 5 weeks when we found out ours was officially totaled.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update: kind of ugh, but kind of ok.
    Lippert finally made it out. the frame is within specs, less than a 1/4 inch deflection in the front tongue, rear axle and spindles are bent, leaf springs are out of alignment with a little warp or bend. the Lippert guy stated we would be ok with getting the rest fixed and keeping it. His opinion. So now I wait some more for the insurance to make another decision. For us, we really just wanted the trailer to go away, but it is what it is. on the other hand, we really like the trailer and were within the thinking to make sure it is fixed properly and keep it. so again, we wait to see. tomorrow marks 11 weeks since the accident. Truck should be done and back to us late this week or maybe next.
    UGH and YEAH, all in one. so the update is what it is. I wish I knew what warranty I could get or whatever for additional issues that may arise later. I will have to push and see. anyyhow, thanks for listening. make it a great day! ! !
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    update: kind of ugh, but kind of ok.
    Lippert finally made it out. the frame is within specs, less than a 1/4 inch deflection in the front tongue, rear axle and spindles are bent, leaf springs are out of alignment with a little warp or bend. the Lippert guy stated we would be ok with getting the rest fixed and keeping it. His opinion. So now I wait some more for the insurance to make another decision. For us, we really just wanted the trailer to go away, but it is what it is. on the other hand, we really like the trailer and were within the thinking to make sure it is fixed properly and keep it. so again, we wait to see. tomorrow marks 11 weeks since the accident. Truck should be done and back to us late this week or maybe next.
    UGH and YEAH, all in one. so the update is what it is. I wish I knew what warranty I could get or whatever for additional issues that may arise later. I will have to push and see. anyyhow, thanks for listening. make it a great day! ! !
    Wow! That is definitely a duration! So now your insurance will run the numbers, which amounts to repair cost versus value. This is where you need to be on your toes! Camper values have appreciated - I believe it is an industry first! So, you might want to scour the internet for recent sales for comps just in case they come back based on book value that doesn't reflect the surge.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Wow! That is definitely a duration! So now your insurance will run the numbers, which amounts to repair cost versus value. This is where you need to be on your toes! Camper values have appreciated - I believe it is an industry first! So, you might want to scour the internet for recent sales for comps just in case they come back based on book value that doesn't reflect the surge.
    Yep, I have kind of done that already, so i am knowledgeable of the value, what it is worth due to increased value, plus the amount it should be worth, got the diminished value figured out in case, plus I am lucky enough to have sucked up the little extra cost for replacement coverage. I know also what I paid for it, and have taken into consideration the destination or transport fees, taxes etc. In the event they total it, I think I am ready, if the repair it, I think i am ready for it too, just concerned of how any issues later will be addressed and what the time frame is for that. I will be reaching out within the next day or two to do some info gathering and pushing for all that I can.
    in the long run, if it is totaled, i will deal with it and should be ok based on all the figures, if the repair it, I just want a great unit as that is what I had prior to the accident. We will see. Thanks to all for listening.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona