User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Electrical and battery question

Hello all, this is my first post so I will try to be succinct. We bought our new 2021 momentum 399th 6 weeks ago. We took it on one camping weekend,plugged in and it worked fine. We brought it home and put in storage for a week and thought we turned everything off. Went to pick it up and the batteries were dead. (We had 2 6 volt batteries put in before we brought it home from the dealer). We plugged it in at the storage place and were able to get enough power to place on truck and bring home. Plugged it in at home overnight. The refrigerator did not work. We tried everything, put a charger on the batteries directly, checked the fuses , propane, etc. no go. We went camping anyway and were plugged in again at the camping spot but the refrigerator never did come back on. We came back home and plugged in here, unloaded everything and the next day we tried to hook up to the truck and take it to storage but the MOR-Ride control panel for hydraulics went into fault mode and we cannot clear it. So, now it is stuck in front of our house. And, still plugged in to power. And, still no fridge. Please see the video. We even did retract all to the hydraulics which scared the s**t out of us to no avail. Do we just need to get 2 new batteries again? If so what could we have left on that would drain them so badly in one week? Is the battery issue enough to cause the fault in the video even when the camper has now been plugged in for 2 weeks? I called the dealer and they were no help.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hyv...w?usp=drivesdk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes your batteries could be toast, unless you disconnect the cables at the battery itself there is enough parasitic draw to kill them in a few days. Once damaged, no amount of charging will bring them back and yes, it could be causing your issues.
    Last edited by Bungy; 07-13-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you plug into shore power, you should have 12VDC and everything on 12V should work. When the converter sees 120V it eliminates the battery except for the charging function and the entire coach s running on 12V, and would do so even with the battery disconnected.
    If you do not have 12V when on shore power you have either a defective converter or the reverse polarity protection fuses are blown. This happens if the batteries cables are connected wrong.
    The fuses are on the back of the converter and you will probably have to remove a panel in the basement to access it. The fuses are automotive type and believe are 35A.
    Obviously, turn off shore power whenyou do this.

Also, while not healthy for the batteries on a regular basis, an occasional complete discharge is not going to destroy a battery.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelingMD View Post
    Hello all, this is my first post so I will try to be succinct. We bought our new 2021 momentum 399th 6 weeks ago. We took it on one camping weekend,plugged in and it worked fine. We brought it home and put in storage for a week and thought we turned everything off. Went to pick it up and the batteries were dead. (We had 2 6 volt batteries put in before we brought it home from the dealer). We plugged it in at the storage place and were able to get enough power to place on truck and bring home. Plugged it in at home overnight. The refrigerator did not work. We tried everything, put a charger on the batteries directly, checked the fuses , propane, etc. no go. We went camping anyway and were plugged in again at the camping spot but the refrigerator never did come back on. We came back home and plugged in here, unloaded everything and the next day we tried to hook up to the truck and take it to storage but the MOR-Ride control panel for hydraulics went into fault mode and we cannot clear it. So, now it is stuck in front of our house. And, still plugged in to power. And, still no fridge. Please see the video. We even did retract all to the hydraulics which scared the s**t out of us to no avail. Do we just need to get 2 new batteries again? If so what could we have left on that would drain them so badly in one week? Is the battery issue enough to cause the fault in the video even when the camper has now been plugged in for 2 weeks? I called the dealer and they were no help.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hyv...w?usp=drivesdk
    You may very well have some other issues going on however, check your battery disconnect switch (red handle located in the pass thru) and ensure it is on. If it is off, your batteries will not charge regardless of being plugged in. The inverse is also true, if your directly charge your batteries and the disconnect is off, it will prevent 12 volt from going to some outlets.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last thing to check, too - there is a circuit breaker on the main power panel labeled, "Converter." Make sure that didn't trip... might just reset it to be sure.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have been given some good advice here for things to check. I can only add one thing as far as getting totally discharged batteries to take a charge. I am not sure about the charging function of the converter, but most smart chargers like the charge function built into the converter will not start charging a completely dead battery because the voltage is low enough that they don't "see" the battery. In other words, it is as if no battery is connected to the charger so it won't turn on. You can easily fool the charger after hooking it up by momentarily jumping the dead battery with a good battery like from your truck. Once the charger turns on it will stay on and continue to charge. I have done this a number of times in my bass boat's trolling motor batteries through the years.

I have no idea, but maybe the converter will not turn on at all and supply 12 volts to your fridge if it "thinks" no battery is hooked up. I'm sure someone else would know.
    Last edited by HighFive; 07-14-2021 at 08:40 AM.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch