User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch height issue

2020 351M

Any idea what would cause the hitch height button to put the levelling system into error mode. It happens every time I push hitch height whether on shore power, battery, or plugged into TV.

The only way I can get it to work is to push auto level first and let it cycle through the levelling sequence. Issue there is it does not return to the unhitched height. Dealer has been no help.

Thanks,

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitch height requires that you auto level first. That is in the manual. Also, when you auto level, the pin box has to be in an "above level" position or hitch height will not work. If after you auto level you make any changes with the jacks, that will disable Hitch Height. Actually, all of this is in the manual.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    Hitch height requires that you auto level first. That is in the manual. Also, when you auto level, the pin box has to be in an "above level" position or hitch height will not work. If after you auto level you make any changes with the jacks, that will disable Hitch Height. Actually, all of this is in the manual.
    Interesting. So after I’ve been set up camping for the week, I need to auto level before I push hitch height? Seems strange.

Is It only on the hydraulic system? When I had the lippert electric system On a previous unit I pushed hitch height when ready to hook Up and worked fine.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had electric and hydraulic, when you push auto level, that sets the hitch height. After the auto level is done and you are done camping, the hitch height button retracts all the rear jacks and returns to the height when auto level was started.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I've had electric and hydraulic, when you push auto level, that sets the hitch height. After the auto level is done and you are done camping, the hitch height button retracts all the rear jacks and returns to the height when auto level was started.

Yes correct. I know how it works. When I push hitch height when done camping or hooking up at the storage yard it goes into an error. Red light comes in. The only way I have been able to get it to work without throwing an error Is to auto level Right before hook up. But this then does not bring me back to my unhitch height.
    Last edited by Lobster Poutine; 07-11-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster Poutine View Post
    Yes correct. I know how it works. When I push hitch height when don’t camping or hooking up at the storage yard it goes into an error. Red light comes in. The only way I have been able to get it to work without throwing an error Is to auto level Right before hook up. But this then does not bring me back to my unhitch height.
    I understand now. If you've manually adjusted the leveling after auto level it will not work. Also it depends on the height of the nose prior to auto level being started. If it was nose low when started, the hitch height feature wont work. If it has never worked for you, it sounds like there could be an issue. I dont know if doing a zero calibration would correct the issue, but it couldn't hurt. The LCI manual has the instructions for the process.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I understand now. If you've manually adjusted the leveling after auto level it will not work. Also it depends on the height of the nose prior to auto level being started. If it was nose low when started, the hitch height feature wont work. If it has never worked for you, it sounds like there could be an issue. I dont know if doing a zero calibration would correct the issue, but it couldn't hurt. The LCI manual has the instructions for the process.

Yeah I think I’ll have to try that. Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a quick "search" and quick browse through results, this thread seems to be closest to the issues I'm having.

Auto-Level works fine. A day or two later, when I hit "hitch height", I get red error light. I'm kinda getting sick of that.

After reading this thread, I noticed that the OP mentioned "shore power" in the first post. I wonder if it errors because I always leave my shore power connected until I'm done moving jacks and it is on the truck. Could this be a function of the unit to tell the user to unplug from shore power since hitch height is the process of hooking up to leave?

I'll have to browse through the manual tonight and see if I can find anything about it.

Anyone found a cure for the hitch height flashing red light yet and diagnosed exactly what the problem is?

I do know that I need to calibrate the unit again. Last weekend the auto-level was off quite a bit to the door side being high. Front to back was spot on and I always auto-level from pin was above level.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why even bother trying to use hitch height. Just manually raise or lower the front LG as needed to hook up to the truck.

In nine years I have never used that silly function on my six point hyd level up to hitch the truck back up. Auto level works great and has for nine years of use..

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    Why even bother trying to use hitch height. Just manually raise or lower the front LG as needed to hook up to the truck.

In nine years I have never used that silly function on my six point hyd level up to hitch the truck back up. Auto level works great and has for nine years of use..
    After 8 years, 3 different fifth wheels, I never used the hitch height function. I have the sidewinder pin box ,and it has to be dead straight, and needs to “ ramp up “ to lock pin box. I have a 1”X2” stick that is 51” tall. After all rear and mid jacks are up, I manually raise or lower nose to 51” . That gives me a 1” lower to ramp up and lock hitch.
    That way I know I am good to go.
    It also has marks on it for all slides, so I can allow clearance from pedestal, trees, and anything else that would hit trailer before I unhook.
    It is just part of our process setting up and leaving campsite.
    My experience is the hitch height function is never exactly what I need to safely hook up to truck.
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.