User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stress cracks in skylight on 337rls 2020

Hello GD family. Had some leaking in the shower and what appeared to be condensation in shower skylight. Hubby does regular roof inspections, sealant and cleaning. Rained hard this week and had a lot of water on floor of bathroom, and in the skylight. I have seen other posts about this issue however there is no way to know that you have the stress fractures unless you remove the skylight cover inside the shower. We had 4 of these these stress fractures. My husband could not see them when on the roof. Looks like Grand Design needs to do a recall on the skylights. Also it looks like they need to upgrade to a better quality skylight. Our 5ver is one year and 5 months old. I am posting this to add to your inspection list. We think we might have caught early enough, to save wood framing. We turned on air, placed fan in bathroom, blow dried, and I placed flex sealant on cracks for now. The humidity is really high and if it rains again we are in trouble, so that is why we applied flex seal on the cracks. We did email GD this weekend, and will call tomorrow on Monday. It seems most people are choosing to buy a completely different skylight to solve the problem. We are having to spray bleach on the frame to kill mold and mildew. Happy Camping and hope this will help prevent someone else from having to get heavy rain inside your camper lol. Will give you an update once removed and replaced, and let you know what GD says and does. Happy Camping.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to say, the skylight used in GD is the exact same one used widely across the industry. The polymer is junk and sooner or later embrittles and will crack. Replace it with an ICON skylight and never worry about it again. The Flex Seal will further weaken the polymer so be prepared to seal in an emergency with something else. Gorilla Tape inside and outside work the best, but not over Flex Seal.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the feedback, we really appreciate it. Just very temporary to keep dry as we will install new skylight quickly.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Hello Grand Design family. I always like to follow up and wanted to let you know that Grand Design even though bought out by Winnebago it's still standing behind their RVs. We were just outside of our warranty by 4 or 5 months and grand design replaced the skylight, and the water damaged pieces of the framing around the bathroom door. It reassures why we purchased a grand design product in the 1st place. Happy camping to all and glad to not have a leaky skylight. Just remember to add checking for stress fractures on the inside of the skylight from time to time it was not noticeable to my husband when he would inspect the roof.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoster002 View Post
    Hello Grand Design family. I always like to follow up and wanted to let you know that Grand Design even though bought out by Winnebago it's still standing behind their RVs. We were just outside of our warranty by 4 or 5 months and grand design replaced the skylight, and the water damaged pieces of the framing around the bathroom door. It reassures why we purchased a grand design product in the 1st place. Happy camping to all and glad to not have a leaky skylight. Just remember to add checking for stress fractures on the inside of the skylight from time to time it was not noticeable to my husband when he would inspect the roof.
    Did they replace with the same type of skylight that failed or a heavier material?
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads