User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WiFi booster

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    What about them? Mostly good from when I just check, but I looked at the reviews on the website I provided, which were favorable.
    13% 1 and 2 star and only 79% 3 and 4 star. Most of the complaints were that the units were unstable, died in a short period of time, or that the boosted signal had slower transfer rates than the non-boosted signal. I don't have any experience with the unit, personally, but Laura and I don't purchase products with those kinds of ratings and reviews.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never base ANYTHING solely based on Amazon reviews.

1) Too many idiots who expect something to be a miracle cure. In this case boost speed on an already slow network.
    2) Too many people who don't have any knowledge of what they're getting in to and need some knowledge how to make things work; ie. plugin play.
    3) Too many bad reviews because of delivery options. Rate the product not the shipment.

I search many platforms. The reviews on Techno RV were pretty good. Amazon is too much a free for all with reviews now. Almost as bad as social media.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good afternoon-
    I am a network engineer, spending alot of time on WIFI, and Cellular. Agree with the info already stated, but wanted to add a bit more color for those that are embarking on network access for either streaming or work depending on location.
    Cellular service like LTE or 5G has quite a bit of bandwidth in given areas, with the ability to stream. However it is a shared medium, so the more people using it the less we can get at any given time. During peak times, you likely can get enough to work (email, web browsing), but not enough for video conferencing, or streaming. It all depends on the amount of local usage on the tower, and believe it or not the weather too. Rain reduces it slightly, and outdoor temp.
    If you have plenty of cellular, that is great. The next big challenge is Wifi. On a given spectrum (2.4 or 5.8 GHz), there are only so many channels available for all of us to use. When you are at a CG with hundreds of spots and 50% of them bring their own hot spot or they hot spot their phones, and then deliver wifi from those devices to their individual campers, we are all fighting for the RF (Radio Freq) in the are on the same channels. Those with greater "power" on their WiFi are gonna do better. So those with great cellular, but poor wifi from their device(s) will have a poor experience.
    It obviously works, and I have a setup that works well for me with a mobile router, and hotspot and I can stream and work from the camper just about anywhere. But I also use a router that deconflict the channels in use to grab the one with the least congestion which helps me in my camper (43 feet long).
    Happy to talk more about this and ways to achieve the best results in 99% of locations. Just getting a hot spot is not a sure thing to be able to stream well, or getting a WiFi booster either is my point.

Hope this helps. Happy to discuss more to help everyone here on what I do and how its setup.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    Good afternoon-

Hope this helps. Happy to discuss more to help everyone here on what I do and how its setup.
    Would love to hear about the specifics of your setup and your internet/cellular data provider(s). We are about to embark on months long trip and I'll be working from the road with a requirement for video conferencing and large data downloads - digital microscope images and very large Excel spreadsheets/macros.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Verizon for my cellular and also my hotspot (Provided by work). The first key is to find a solution that will allow you to have unlimited data... The key for you is going to be looking at your route, and overlaying the providers coverage given your route. The big 3 (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile) all have decent coverage on and around interstates. Some better than others, I dont want to battle who I believe is the best... Have a look and see what works.
    Once you have chosen a carrier, you have options as to what hotspot you want to use... I really like the Netgear nighthawk hotspot as it does WIFI, but also has an ethernet port so you can plug into a traditional WIFI router which is going to be far better than using the WIFI on the hotspot itself. There are a bunch of great WIFI routers out there, but what you want to avoid is hosting WIFI from a router, and also your hotspot as you are starting an RF fight inside you own RF (small space) and that is NOT AT ALL helpful.
    If you are gonna only use the WIFI inside your camper, and your devices support it, I would ONLY use 5.8 GHz, which does not have as much distance (plenty in an RV), and has many more channels available compared to 2.4GHz . The other nice thing about the setup above is that you can use wires if need be for your video endpoint or laptop if you want from the router, its all preference.
    You need a solid 1.2Mbps up and down for "GOOD" video, but can get away with a little less. Many ways to solve the network stuff... If you have LTE in your 2021 truck (typically cheap), that can be a GOOD BACKUP to your hotspot in the camper or to the WIFI at a campsite, but you have to crank the truck for that to work. LTE on GM vehicles works in the camper site well, and provided by AT&T and I can typically do all that you want over that connection, to include my wife works while I am on I-95 rolling and she can do video, audio, email, surf, and my daughter streams netflix all at the same time.

Let me know how I can help you prep, in an effort to make it as successful as possible.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me know how I can help you prep, in an effort to make it as successful as possible.
    Does the hotspot connect to the cellular signal? Sorry if I’m getting to basic. I’m looking fora similar solution. If I can workIcan travel anywhere.
    Pete & Betty
    2012 F250 Super Duty 4x4 6.7 Diesel
    2015 Reflection 29RS
    Palm Harbor, FL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Verizon for my cellular and also my hotspot (Provided by work).

you have options as to what hotspot you want to use... I really like the Netgear nighthawk hotspot as it does WIFI,

The other nice thing about the setup above is that you can use wires if need be for your video endpoint or laptop if you want from the router, its all preference.
    I like this and will have to check further. I assume if I took my phone's SIM and popped it in, the carrier knows and thus it won't work or work well?

I used SkyRoam on my trip through New England (was about 40 miles from Canada in NH). Seldom did it not work. Streamed just fine at 3g (might have had one buffer incident).

Bought it refurbished ($50) because I had doubts. $45 for one month unlimited (1Gb of 4g lte per day, then unlimited at 3g).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    I never base ANYTHING solely based on Amazon reviews.

1) Too many idiots who expect something to be a miracle cure. In this case boost speed on an already slow network.
    2) Too many people who don't have any knowledge of what they're getting in to and need some knowledge how to make things work; ie. plugin play.
    3) Too many bad reviews because of delivery options. Rate the product not the shipment.

I search many platforms. The reviews on Techno RV were pretty good. Amazon is too much a free for all with reviews now. Almost as bad as social media.
    Curtis I have a unit I bought from TechnoRV. I will sell it to you for half the price and the shipping. I only tried it a couple times and could not get it to help any. I would not waste my money but if you want one we could bargain on price. I just want it out of my basement. You can send me a PM if interested.
    Last edited by papermakermd; 07-21-2021 at 02:57 PM.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Verizon for my cellular and also my hotspot (Provided by work). The first key is to find a solution that will allow you to have unlimited data... The key for you is going to be looking at your route, and overlaying the providers coverage given your route. The big 3 (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile) all have decent coverage on and around interstates. Some better than others, I dont want to battle who I believe is the best... Have a look and see what works.
    Once you have chosen a carrier, you have options as to what hotspot you want to use... I really like the Netgear nighthawk hotspot as it does WIFI, but also has an ethernet port so you can plug into a traditional WIFI router which is going to be far better than using the WIFI on the hotspot itself. There are a bunch of great WIFI routers out there, but what you want to avoid is hosting WIFI from a router, and also your hotspot as you are starting an RF fight inside you own RF (small space) and that is NOT AT ALL helpful.
    If you are gonna only use the WIFI inside your camper, and your devices support it, I would ONLY use 5.8 GHz, which does not have as much distance (plenty in an RV), and has many more channels available compared to 2.4GHz . The other nice thing about the setup above is that you can use wires if need be for your video endpoint or laptop if you want from the router, its all preference.
    You need a solid 1.2Mbps up and down for "GOOD" video, but can get away with a little less. Many ways to solve the network stuff... If you have LTE in your 2021 truck (typically cheap), that can be a GOOD BACKUP to your hotspot in the camper or to the WIFI at a campsite, but you have to crank the truck for that to work. LTE on GM vehicles works in the camper site well, and provided by AT&T and I can typically do all that you want over that connection, to include my wife works while I am on I-95 rolling and she can do video, audio, email, surf, and my daughter streams netflix all at the same time.

I have a setup using Visible that works most of the time. I would be interested in any thoughts you have that might improve my performance.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by dthamilton8906 View Post
    We are new to RVing. We have an Imagine 2970RL and love it. We are finding that WiFi is provided at most places we go, but the signal is too weak to stream movies. Can we have some recommendations on what to get to help with this?
    Though most RV parks advertise free Wi-Fi, I've yet to see one that had acceptable Wi-Fi, none have had decent bandwidth. What seems like good Wi-Fi when you first arrive in the early afternoon becomes absolutely worthless when the park fills up later that evening. Not even acceptable internet, let alone streaming.

Get an unlimited data cell plan (mandatory if you are going to stream), and hotspot off your cell phone if needed. Consumer Cellular (runs on the AT&T network) gives unlimited data for a very reasonable price. And with them, you can control your plan from their cell phone app. You can be on a 3 GB or 10 GB plan, then change it to unlimited for a month, then go back to what is was before, all from the app without talking to anyone.

And if you are off the beaten path, then you are talking about a cellular booster (which I have) which is a whole other discussion.
    Last edited by hartcentr; 07-21-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast