User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WiFi booster

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are at least 2 reasons that RV park internet services are poor. First, they are only minimally designed (usually by some student of IT) so the park can advertise "free wifi", and second, everybody tries to use it at the same time and there is never enough bandwidth. The result is that it is basically unusable when you need it. Since many RV park areas have pretty good cell service, I usually use my cell phone as a hot-spot and it works good. If cell service is unavailable you likely will have to take what you can get.

Jay - Texas
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2021 Tundra

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hlozano View Post
    You're spot on with your writeup.
    My work provided me a Verizon hotspot jetpack 8800 3yrs ago w/ unlimited data. So I've been on the path to getting the most out of that hotspot when traveling via RV or hotel since I can work remote. Early on I discovered the Netgear 6000450 MIMO Antenna with 2 TS-9 Connectors. I later added a WifiRanger Spruce indoor mobile router which allows me to tether the jetpack via USB. These have worked well until a recent camping trip where I struggled to maintain cell service because of the partly cloudy conditions. What I think I need is an Outdoor antenna to mount higher since this is a campground we frequently visit. I recently purchased Omni directional antenna to mount on the back ladder.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YYYWFMP...roduct_details.

Prelimenary testing does show up to a 11dB gain on signal strength and an improvement on signal to noise ratio. Of course this testing is in my driveway. We are planning to be at the same campground next week so I'll see how effective this antenna works. Fingers crossed I'll be able to work from the campground. Otherwise I'll be driving home an hour and a half each way the first part of the week.
    Yeah, the external antenna should/will help a lot. The more metal/aluminum in your rig between you and the outdoors creates attenuation. Because the Cellular spectrum is different than the WIFI spectrum its fine if there is WIFI saturation. However, LTE saturation is a thing too. The more people pulling on it the less for others to have… Signal strength is king, and is a key driver in LTE or 5G perf, however if you have good signal and there are too many users on a single cellular tower, your perf wont be “great”. However you can still VPN for work, and still stream on poor cellular signals. Keep in mind that weather does play a role in cellular performance (not tons but some), and time of day (think lunch time when people are off work etc).

I will do my best to answer questions. (I don’t work for Netgear)… I do use their gear because they support an external set of antenna’s and also Ethernet into another router if I want, or USB also….

Hope that helps.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dthamilton8906 View Post
    We are new to RVing. We have an Imagine 2970RL and love it. We are finding that WiFi is provided at most places we go, but the signal is too weak to stream movies. Can we have some recommendations on what to get to help with this?

Like most everyone says, a good cellular plan and an external antenna so that you can easily connect to the internet is really the best option. Your cell phone only has an internal antenna, so your reception and ability to download and upload may be limited by location. The best way to give yourself better cellular reception is to get a external antenna on your RV. The best option to do this is to install a cellular router and antenna combo. As someone already mentioned here, we also bought from mobile must have, to do our install. I have a max transit router with 2 sim slots. You can get one or two different carriers with this router. In case one works and the other may not. Anyway, it will create a hotspot in your RV that all your devices can use. Especially nice for running a Roku or other devices for Netflix or Prime streaming. At&T has been offering 100 gigs a month for $55. We jumped on that plan. Works really well. We also have Verizon, as my phone and tablet are Verizon. The 10 db gain antenna dome I mounted on the RV roof does great. It also will pick up wifi offered in parks, but as mentioned, wifi at campgrounds is usually not very good.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    I use Verizon for my cellular and also my hotspot (Provided by work). The first key is to find a solution that will allow you to have unlimited data... The key for you is going to be looking at your route, and overlaying the providers coverage given your route. The big 3 (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile) all have decent coverage on and around interstates. Some better than others, I dont want to battle who I believe is the best... Have a look and see what works.
    Once you have chosen a carrier, you have options as to what hotspot you want to use... I really like the Netgear nighthawk hotspot as it does WIFI, but also has an ethernet port so you can plug into a traditional WIFI router which is going to be far better than using the WIFI on the hotspot itself.
    How does this work with Verizon's network? I had thought the M1 was an AT&T GSM offering though I see Amazon sells it unlocked. From what I understand, some internal configuration changes are needed to allow it to work with Verizon over and above a SIM card but haven't seen what they were anywhere. We have unlimited data plans with VZ and I always use my phone (yeah older but I like it - S7 Edge) as a hotspot when in a hotel on travel rather than connect to the hotel wifi - not much streaming for me - mostly work though the better half likes Hallmark which I can add to my TCL. We have not had good experiences with JetPacks.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Winegard Connect2 combination WiFi / cellular system that seems to work pretty well. If the area has decent WiFi, this will give you a stronger signal. If the campground WiFi is slow, I can use my phone's hotspot (cheap), and if that doesn't work, or I run out of data, I can use the more expensive Winegard cellular data. With three possible ways, its likely one will work....

But lets be realistic folks. NEVER count on high bandwidth performance in rural areas. Most areas out here in the sticks are notoriously under serviced. Until 2 years ago we got internet from a local company called Clarity Connect, and counted ourselves lucky. They were a state subsidized "Wireless Internet Service Provider" that put an 18 inch dish style antenna on the front of our house. It was aimed at a telephone pole on a hill 5 miles from our house. It was 5 mbps down and 2 mbps up. And that's pretty decent. I have neighbors who can't get anything but their cell phone hotspot, or worse, still have DSL or dial-up! I'd imagine there are a ton of campgrounds that just added a simple junky WiFi router thru such medium or low bandwidth "systems" to claim they have free WiFi. We now have a real fiber-optic based system, so feel like we just entered the 21st Century. But much country is still stuck "surfing" like its 1999.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good or bad, I do not work when I am out camping. I work extra weekend days to get the once-a-month Thursday-Sunday trip in without having to bother with work. However, I am envious of people who can do this full-time. We will have to wait until retirement for the longer duration trips.

Although the purpose of going out into the woods does not include watching TV, there are times when rain puts a damper (pun intended) on things. Although Free WiFi sounds good, as most of you have mentioned, it is mostly worthless and depending on your cell provider and area, cell can be spotty at best. That said, we have found downloading movies to a cell phone (or other device) from Netflix, then connecting (wired) to our TV works VERY well. Just plan ahead.
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwilliams44 View Post
    So everyone has been telling you all about plans and tech. I spent hours researching and finally found NOMAD.
    https://nomadinternet.com/
    I went for the SIM only option. I use a Cradle Point 600 Cellular capable router/modem with WiFi.
    Started off really well. The SIM runs on T-mobile, and is truly unlimited (no throttling after so many GB).
    The throughput was fine. Able to stream NETFLIX and YouTube without issue.
    Lately, I have had an issue connecting, and am working with support at NOMAD to resolve this. So this recommendation comes with a caveat, and I will update once I have resolved the issue.
    That said, I love this idea. About $65/mo. SIM only twice that if they provide the modem. I pay yearly so there is a little discount I guess for prepay?
    This IS data only and you cannot connect for phone use. For me however, that is great because I use video conferencing a lot.

So check out NOMAD Internet before you plop down your ducketts. Watch this space 'cause I will update with more when I have the issue fixed with my SIM (I think it is my SIM as it may have been slightly damaged).
    Best of luck in whatever you do!
    @mdwilliams44 Did you get the NOMAD SIM card issue worked out? I looked at Nomad awhile ago for home internet before our local electric co-op got a grant to install fiber optic. But, now I need something for on the road. Talked with the folks at Techno RV about the Pepwave. Not sure if I can get two SIM cards from Nomad, but that might be better than other options. TechnoRV says they do not know how resellers can offer some of the unlimited plans as the cellular providers themselves don't know either.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    These folks are the gurus for connectivity while on the road:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Start with their free information and, if you find it helpful, you can subscribe.

Most of us who spend a lot/all of our time on the road have mobile hotspots with high or unlimited data plans. That way we are not dependent on cr@ppy park wi-fi. Verizon has the best coverage nationwide, but some full-timers will have plans with two carriers just in case. Cellular boosters become the thing when you do it this way - but you can read all about it in the link above.

Rob
    I will give Rob's advice 2 thumbs up. Do your research with these folks after joining, even if just for a year. The subject of internet over cellular can be complex between boosters (sometimes helpful) and multiple antenna devices. I have been in places where the WeBoost did not do a thing, but having a modern phone with multiple antennas gave better performance. It depends...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234