User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why no coffee?!!?!?!?

I've noticed a trend over the last couple of years, where rest areas no longer have coffee machines. On our way from Texas back to North Carolina along I-20 I didn't stop at a single rest area which DID have a coffee machine!
    Sure I can make a cup in the camper, but usually when someone has to pee we stop at a rest area and walk up to do our business and I grab a cup while waiting. Yeah, it's usually not very good coffee, but it's still coffee. I'm really missing my 2pm cup this week!
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a couple of these and make an extra pot of coffee in the morning. These will keep your good coffee hot until the next day. They're so good, our son-in-law (a pilot for a major airline) won't use one for work... he says he burns his mouth because the coffee doesn't cool off. He pays the immoral airport prices for coffee instead.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have no financial or other interest in this company or sales of its products - we just like them.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember some holiday weekends, a long time ago, when they had tables set up at some rest stops and offered free coffee and cookies. Volunteers manned the tables. The good old days.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't looked for those coffee machines in years, like said the coffee is not very good. I also rarely walk up to the restrooms in a rest stop since we got the Reflection.

We have some Thermos stainless steel coffee cups. I swear the coffee gets hotter in those. 2 of the newer style that Costco was selling last winter and one that has to be 7 yrs old.
    (we perk so the coffee is very hot)

I open the sip spot and let the coffee cool for what seems like half an hr before it is sippable.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those coffee machines were never really good. If we want coffee while towing the camper we look for a truck stop since the coffee gets rotated often, right off the highway and plenty of parking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I've noticed a trend over the last couple of years, where rest areas no longer have coffee machines. On our way from Texas back to North Carolina along I-20 I didn't stop at a single rest area which DID have a coffee machine!
    Sure I can make a cup in the camper, but usually when someone has to pee we stop at a rest area and walk up to do our business and I grab a cup while waiting. Yeah, it's usually not very good coffee, but it's still coffee. I'm really missing my 2pm cup this week!
    With the proliferation of sports drinks, fancy water, Starbucks, canned/bottled coffee drinks, and all sorts of gourmet drinks there isn't a market for hot brown water at rest areas. If a vendor only has a fixed number of spots available at a rest area they are not going to waste a spot to make 3 cups of coffee and maybe a hot chocolate each month. The market has driven nostalgia right out to pasture!

I use a thermos so I have enough for all day!
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    I remember some holiday weekends, a long time ago, when they had tables set up at some rest stops and offered free coffee and cookies. Volunteers manned the tables. The good old days.
    Ah come on, free and volunteers, you must of been day dreaming. Lol

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Ah come on, free and volunteers, you must of been day dreaming. Lol

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Maybe you just weren't old enough at the time to remember your parents stopping for coffee and cookies...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone - I come from a long line of coffee drinkers. I was surprised to not be able to find any at rest areas - sure, it's probably Maxwell's Outhouse, but we usually walk up to the bathrooms to pee and stretch our legs some.
    I have a pour-over coffee system (portable burner and coffee pour-over device) I use when hammock camping but I do not normally bring it on RV trips:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I do have a percolator somewhere in one of the camping bins from our tent camping days, but not sure I would want to get the inside stovetop going for that. It was HOT out there!

I guess it is an interesting study in behaviors - the machines were soft drinks, energy drinks, and candy. I would say it was all sugar loaded, but sadly it's all high fructose corn syrup and not even real sugar for the most part.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    Thanks everyone - I come from a long line of coffee drinkers. I was surprised to not be able to find any at rest areas - sure, it's probably Maxwell's Outhouse, but we usually walk up to the bathrooms to pee and stretch our legs some.
    I have a pour-over coffee system (portable burner and coffee pour-over device) I use when hammock camping but I do not normally bring it on RV trips:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I do have a percolator somewhere in one of the camping bins from our tent camping days, but not sure I would want to get the inside stovetop going for that. It was HOT out there!

I guess it is an interesting study in behaviors - the machines were soft drinks, energy drinks, and candy. I would say it was all sugar loaded, but sadly it's all high fructose corn syrup and not even real sugar for the most part.
    You have a Reflection 5er. It's time to get a real coffee maker. Maybe even an espresso machine!

On a side note, last trip out we purchased a Keurig thinking it would make our morning routine easier on moving days and we could ditch our drip coffee makers. We returned the Keurig two days later and will stick with our drip makers and thermos'. The Keurig was VERY, VERY loud. Maybe as loud as a food processor, very disappointed. And the coffee tasted like . . . well, like rest area coffee machine coffee.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast