User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automatic Generator Failover

Greetings All,

I did a search before posting here, so my apologies if this has been asked and answered...

Is it possible to have the onboard Onan 5500 generator automatically start if shore power goes out? I am looking for a way to have this fail safe method occur if we are away from the rig while off exploring the area.

I know this is possible with residential/commercial generators, and would like to have this insurance for our Momentum 351M.

Thanks in advance,
    Carl & Jacqueline
    We R B.O.B. (Boomers on Bikes)
    2020 Momentum 349M
    2019 Ford F450 6.7L PowerStroke

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by We R BOB View Post
    Greetings All,

I did a search before posting here, so my apologies if this has been asked and answered...

Is it possible to have the onboard Onan 5500 generator automatically start if shore power goes out? I am looking for a way to have this fail safe method occur if we are away from the rig while off exploring the area.

I know this is possible with residential/commercial generators, and would like to have this insurance for our Momentum 351M.

Thanks in advance,
    I have this on mine:

https://rvautomations.com/

I have the predecessor to the one they are selling now, it works well. It's dead simple, no power from the shore line, start genny. Power restored, stop genny. Works well.

I have it because I leave my pets in the RV when we go out for the day (cats). I also have temperature monitoring and cameras in the rig, all connected to a Togo internet bridge on the roof. The whole system works well.

OneControl does have an autostart feature, but, in testing, it didn't give me the warm fuzzies. It's too complicated, turning on when there's AC demand then back off when it's no longer necessary. If the power is out, I want the generator on, and I couldn't see a way to do that in there.

Not cheap, but it works like a charm for me. Install it in the basement, passenger side of the RV. All the wires you need are behind that false wall, and you can easily run over to the transfer switch from there to get shore power status. Took about 2-3 hours to install, I could do it now in under an hour (after doing it once), it's easy, just make sure you follow the wiring diagrams.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I have this on mine:

I have the predecessor to the one they are selling now, it works well. It's dead simple, no power from the shore line, start genny. Power restored, stop genny. Works well.

I have it because I leave my pets in the RV when we go out for the day (cats). I also have temperature monitoring and cameras in the rig, all connected to a Togo internet bridge on the roof. The whole system works well.

OneControl does have an autostart feature, but, in testing, it didn't give me the warm fuzzies. It's too complicated, turning on when there's AC demand then back off when it's no longer necessary. If the power is out, I want the generator on, and I couldn't see a way to do that in there.

Not cheap, but it works like a charm for me. Install it in the basement, passenger side of the RV. All the wires you need are behind that false wall, and you can easily run over to the transfer switch from there to get shore power status. Took about 2-3 hours to install, I could do it now in under an hour (after doing it once), it's easy, just make sure you follow the wiring diagrams.
    I do 99% boondocking, and we ordered a 350G which does NOT have OneControl. This wouldn't work to autostart the generator if the battery went under a certain threshold, would it? It says it has a dry camping option but I'm not really sure what that does and can't really tell on their site.
    2022 Momentum 350G - all upgrades minus 3 season doors
    2020 F350 Lariat Sport 6.7 CCLB FX4 - 3.5" Carli Pintop Suspension System - Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 w/Wireless One - 68 Gallon S&B Fuel Tank
    2022 CanAm Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR w/Smart-Shox (on order)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I have this on mine:

Thanks, Overtaxed.I was also looking for something to monitor the temps inside, and this does both. Might be a little pricey, but may may also be worth it.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    We R B.O.B. (Boomers on Bikes)
    2020 Momentum 349M
    2019 Ford F450 6.7L PowerStroke