Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CAT scales

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CAT scales

I have not weighed my truck with 337RLS on it yet. I fuel at TA with my EFS card at the truck stops. They have the CAT scales their.
    How's this all work so I don't look or feel like an idiot?
    Go inside and say you want to weigh or is it self serve?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just drive up onto it. You'll notice the CAT scales have 3 sections; one for the front axle, one for the rear axle, and the third for the trailers axles, so make sure you park on it accordingly. There should be an intercom button you push after pulling onto the scale (typically two buttons, one you can reach from the ground, the other is higher up for truckers to reach from inside their cab). Someone will respond, asking if it's your initial weigh or or a re-weigh. Then pull off the scale, and you can go inside, pay, and get your weight ticket. Pretty easy.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS | TireMinder i10 TPMS | Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter | Progressive Industries EMS | MORyde X Factors | Renogy Solar & MPPT Controller
    2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L Diesel | Tuned w/ DPF Stolen | Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller | Airlift Bags w/ Wireless Compressor | B&W Turnover Ball | Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDRunner View Post
    I have not weighed my truck with 337RLS on it yet. I fuel at TA with my EFS card at the truck stops. They have the CAT scales their.
    How's this all work so I don't look or feel like an idiot?
    Go inside and say you want to weigh or is it self serve?

If you have a smart phone, download the two CAT scale apps, "Weigh My Truck" and "Find a CAT Scale". That way (or weigh), you don't have to go inside and can pay using a linked credit, debit or even your EFS card. You can even do re-weighs. Several youtube videos explain the CAT Scale process clearly.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need to correct/clarify myself.

The CAT scales I've been to, have all been part of a fueling station, in which you'll need to go inside and pay AFTER you weigh. There may be some that are standalone, with a shack or kiosk.

Some CAT scales will actually have 4 platforms (In states where it's legal for semis to haul doubles and triples.), so make sure your trucks front axle is on the farthest plate forward, your trucks rear axle is on the next, and your trailers axles on the third.

I'd recommend weighing your truck with & without the trailer hooked up. That way you'll know your pin weight/payload. Again, the scales I've been to, have had large parking lots. So its easy to drop your trailer to get both weights.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS | TireMinder i10 TPMS | Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter | Progressive Industries EMS | MORyde X Factors | Renogy Solar & MPPT Controller
    2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L Diesel | Tuned w/ DPF Stolen | Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller | Airlift Bags w/ Wireless Compressor | B&W Turnover Ball | Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off don't ever feel self conscious at the truck stops and CAT scales. I have seen some pretty silly stuff by "professional" drivers. I have found professional drivers to be kind and courteous at truck stops and the staff to helpful and patient with me.

Check your phone app store. CAT has a phone app that you can use at the scales. It requires that you set up an account and assign a credit card for payment.
    Generally you get 2 weighs per charge. One empty, the second loaded. The second is called a re-weigh, if I remember correctly. Get logged into your phone app, pull onto the scales. Observe where your wheels are as there are usually 3 sections, front wheel, rear wheel and a longer trailer section. Follow the instructions on the app. The results will come up on the app and be emailed to you. Pull off, go park the in an empty spot.

I typically find a spot away from the store and from where most of the trucks are parking, it's a courtesy thing. And, because I am old and fat I need the exercise. I take my time and park the truck and trailer then drop the trailer and go weigh the truck empty. Now I have enough info to calculate actual total trailer weight, tongue weight and total weight.

Or you can go inside and pay and set up the weigh process. There is a call box at the scale, it's typically pretty high to accommodate talking from a window of a tractor trailer. Pull onto the scale, press the button, it may take a moment or two as the clerk may be helping another customer. They will ask for truck/company information. Just tell them it's private and truck number 1, or make something up, they really don't care but that have to put something into the machine. Most times they will tell you when to pull forward. Go park, walk inside, find the "truck" clerk and they will have the weigh bill ready for you pay. When you do the second weigh just tell the same info you gave before and tell that it is a re-weigh, park go inside. They normally do not charge for the second weigh.

I was a little nervous the first few times I did this. I was kind of expecting the professional drivers to be disdainful of my efforts. I was afraid the clerks would laugh at me. But this has not been my experience.

There are a number of trailer weight calculator apps on the web and on the phone, with the weigh numbers it's real easy to get the numbers you desire.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    If you have a smart phone, download the two CAT scale apps, "Weigh My Truck" and "Find a CAT Scale". That way (or weigh), you don't have to go inside and can pay using a linked credit, debit or even your EFS card. You can even do re-weighs. Several youtube videos explain the CAT Scale process clearly.
    I've used the app in the past (not sure if the apps been updated since), but found it easier to just go inside.
    • Whatever payment method you sign up with, can't be changed from the app.
    • The app doesn't show your weights. It only emails the ticket to you.
    • The app doesn't keep your weigh history.

Has the app been updated to fix/allow any of these?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done deal. Downloaded both apps, signed up with my EFS card.
    Seems like it will be a very simple process now.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more question. I always travel with my wife our two dogs. Do I have them get out for second weigh in of my truck? I do know their weights and mine so I guess I can just deduct that.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that if you drive onto the CAT scales so your head is almost at the call box all the wheels will be in the right place. I don't even bother looking. If they aren't I believe the weighmaster will let you know over the call box. In any case you can tell when the app shows you the weights before you depart.
    With the app you likely will never need to communicate over the call box. Also, going thru the scales without your trailer is good practice for what to expect when you do have your trailer. Its easy to find the CAT scale locations with the app.

Pete

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast