User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Factory battery disconnect?

So...what exactly is the point or function of the factory battery disconnect on my Solitude.

I know that it doesn't prevent parasitic drain. Should I use it when hooked up to shore power to keep the battery from potential overcharging? Will anything that is 12 volt function if it is disconnected when plugged in.

Exactly what is its function? It seems like a poorly executed good idea!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    So...what exactly is the point or function of the factory battery disconnect on my Solitude.
    I know that it doesn't prevent parasitic drain.
    The disconnect on my Momentum kills everything except for ~50mA of drain. That is so small that it's not worth doing anything about unless I'm going to be storing the trailer for several months.

Do you know how much drain you're getting with the disconnect disconnected?
    signature

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    The disconnect on my Momentum kills everything except for ~50mA of drain. That is so small that it's not worth doing anything about unless I'm going to be storing the trailer for several months.

Do you know how much drain you're getting with the disconnect disconnected?
    Not yet, but we will be leaving on a long trip so I will have time to fully investigate. The history is that the battery has been dead all three times that it has been left in storage with a fully charged battery.

The first two times with the factory disconnect used, and the third with the battery disconnect on the negative terminal of the battery. The first time I blamed on a battery perhaps not fully charged from the dealer...the next two times have me at a loss. It could be just a bad battery...I had it tested by the distributor for the brand and tested good...but they gave me a new battery anyway. Go figure. I'll know more soon...but I sure miss having my rig stored at my house.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    I think it's so the dealer can sell you a new battery when your original battery dies while your RV is in storage.

It's a well known issue that the factory battery disconnect switch doesn't disconnect everything from the battery. If you're going to park your RV for more than a few days while not connected to shore power, you need to remove a cable from the battery. Many owners add a true battery disconnect.

Your converter/charger will prevent your batteries from being overcharged so there is no problem leaving the RV plugged into shore power.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think originally the switches were to completely disconnect the battery while stored. But then new rules came along requiring certain "safety" items to remain powered (CO/Propane detectors, trailer breakaway etc.) and then some convenience things added also (radio etc.) Of course all that defeats the original purpose. Now they are only useful for totally confusing folks and leading to a false sense of security.

In my opinion the OEM switch should be left alone and never used. If the trailer is going to be stored for awhile either remove neg. from battery(s) or install a new true cutoff switch that kills everything. BUT be sure if you do this you don't tow without reconnecting so the "safety" features will work.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is some provable bad information on this thread and I really wish people wouldn't be posting stuff that they don't know is true for every trailer.

I have an ammeter on my batteries so I know *exactly* what current is drawn after disconnect and I have a pretty good idea of what's drawing it. It's not the detectors, trailer brakes, and radios. PM me if you want to know.
    signature

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI - Measured the battery draw on my 2021 310GK with the battery disconnect open and shore power unplugged. The draw was 160ma.
    2021 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is some provable bad information on this thread and I really wish people wouldn't be posting stuff that they don't know is true for every trailer.

I have an ammeter on my batteries so I know *exactly* what current is drawn after disconnect and I have a pretty good idea of what's drawing it. It's not the detectors, trailer brakes, and radios. PM me if you want to know.
    Wow! First of all, no info on this site or any other is accurate for EVERY trailer. Secondly I did add etc. meaning there may or may not be other things also.

So... please share with us what you have found so we can all understand.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the point is the factory battery disconnect doesn't disconnect the battery. I think Grand Design should have a large label next to the "disconnect" switch warning owners that the switch doesn't disconnect everything.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    So... please share with us what you have found so we can all understand.
    On the unit I have in my .sig, everything is unpowered except:
    • motion detection light in the front battery compartment
    • motion detection light in the pass through storage
    • the switch for the happi jack lift in the garage
    • the switch for the front hitch lights
    • the trailer breakaway switch

There is power directly connected to the hydraulic pump, but the leveling controller and the OneConnect panel are both unpowered. No detectors are powered except those that have internal batteries. The RockfordFosgate stereo is unpowered as is anything else I could find that runs on 12V.

I am not sure where the 50mA is being drawn, though. I'll try pulling some fuses to see if I can track that down.
    signature

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast