User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    So...what exactly is the point or function of the factory battery disconnect on my Solitude.

I know that it doesn't prevent parasitic drain. Should I use it when hooked up to shore power to keep the battery from potential overcharging? Will anything that is 12 volt function if it is disconnected when plugged in.

Exactly what is its function? It seems like a poorly executed good idea!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    My disconnect does prevent parasitic drain. That is the point of having one.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    I think originally the switches were to completely disconnect the battery while stored. But then new rules came along requiring certain "safety" items to remain powered (CO/Propane detectors, trailer breakaway etc.) and then some convenience things added also (radio etc.) Of course all that defeats the original purpose. Now they are only useful for totally confusing folks and leading to a false sense of security.

In my opinion the OEM switch should be left alone and never used. If the trailer is going to be stored for awhile either remove neg. from battery(s) or install a new true cutoff switch that kills everything. BUT be sure if you do this you don't tow without reconnecting so the "safety" features will work.
    Why should the OEM battery switch never be used? There is absolutely no reason to add a second disconnect switch. It's simply to rewire the existing switch at it's source to disconnect everything. You can also still have the emergency brake away switch wired to the battery ahead of the disconnect switch as it draws no power, this way if one forgets to turn the switch back on the brake away switch will still be doing it's job.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our Fuzion we just sold, the "battery disconnect switch" didn't disconnect the battery from several parasitic drains. We found out the hard way shortly
    after we brought it home. After a week, it had drained the house battery, and had to be connected to a battery charger to get it back up enough to even
    work the stabilizers. Shortly after that we put an aftermarket real battery disconnect on the positive post of the battery. No more dead batteries due to
    parasitic drain.

On our present 2019 Momentum 351M, the battery disconnect switch actually does disconnect the parasitic drains. Some things like the jacks still have
    available power, but no draw unless you use them. I won't be putting an aftermarket battery disconnect switch on this trailer.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post

On our present 2019 Momentum 351M, the battery disconnect switch actually does disconnect the parasitic drains. Some things like the jacks still have
    available power, but no draw unless you use them. I won't be putting an aftermarket battery disconnect switch on this trailer.
    FYI, the stabilizing system control pad still draws some power when not in use.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    On mine, the hydraulic pump breaker & relay are directly connected to the batteries, but the control pad is powered off by the disconnect switch. So YMMV.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 07-22-2021 at 07:33 AM.
    signature

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    Why should the OEM battery switch never be used? There is absolutely no reason to add a second disconnect switch. It's simply to rewire the existing switch at it's source to disconnect everything. You can also still have the emergency brake away switch wired to the battery ahead of the disconnect switch as it draws no power, this way if one forgets to turn the switch back on the brake away switch will still be doing it's job.
    I was simply defaulting to the simplest way to achieve full disconnect as some peeps don't like to mess with OEM stuff. Obviously one can spend the time and effort to reroute wires to/from OEM switch if they are up to it. I wish the trailer builders would all be consistent, then at least we could all be on the same page.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting discussion, but very important.

Bottom line: if the "specific gravity" drops low enough, you're batteries could freeze at temperatures above 29 degrees F. So, as the battery discharges, the freezing temperature of batteries will shift higher. With a fully charged battery you're good to about -70 degrees F.

Even a moderate drain to the batteries can be fatal, over time, especially in winter. I wintered in Brownsville in Feb of this year. Got caught in the winter storm with prolonged power outage. I didn't take a generator because I was told it never freezes in Brownsville, except this time.

I had propane and continued to run my propane heat until it occurred to me the heater blower motor must me running on batteries. I checked my batteries and was down to one third charge so I turned off the propane heat and just used the kitchen stove for heat. That same night it got down to 20 degrees and the outside cells of both 12v, Interstate batteries froze and ruined both batteries. I got the batteries replaced via insurance, along with numerous other problems that developed because of the freeze.

While trying to recharge both batteries over a period of several days, I contacted Interstate engineering services and was finally able to confirm the frozen cells usually "short" internally as they freeze and are then unable to be recharged.
    Last edited by toolman.dustin; 07-22-2021 at 09:50 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Thanks for that observation. I'll do some checking and see if that is the way mine is wired.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 GD 303RLS with 2 group 27 lead-acid Interstate batteries. Each rated at ~100 Ah. I have already killed the batteries once. Took them down to ~3-volts. Luckily they came back to life and took a full charge. Measured the parasitic draw today. AC power shut off. Factory disconnect opened. All lights in the off position (motion detection off). Refrigerator off. Using a Fluke multimeter, inline on the negative battery terminal, I measured 0.335A. WOW. Completely unacceptable. Simple math shows this will completely drain my batteries in ~24 days. A full battery disconnect switch will be installed soon. Can not risk draining the batteries again.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread got me curious so I did some checking with our 2019 Momentum 351M. With the OEM battery disconnect turned to Off, it showed
    about 0.01 amp. With the OEM battery disconnect turned to On, the draw was 2.2 amps. That wouldn't take too long to drain a battery. But
    the disconnect surprised me because it actually did work.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast