User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator for Home and RV

Hello, All

For those of us in Texas, we know all too well about rolling-blackouts (past and future).
    We recently purchased a Reflection 315RLTS; which has two AC's, residental frig, microwave, so the subject matter will cover two issues.

I would like to carry the generators in the back of my truck which has a bed cover, that way there protected from prying eyes and easy to move around (about 70lbs) and I want to be able to use these for the house in case we have blackouts (summer time and winter).

After doing some research, I found that inverter generators are quieter & lighter. I'am looking at two Generac GP3500IO, and using the parallel cables will give me 7000W. I was told that I need 5500w for the trailer.

Would like to hear some opinions from veteran RVer's. Appreciate the help.
    Ralf & Cheryl
    USAF - Ret
    2020 Ram Megacab Dually Night Edition 4x4, 6.7 Cummins HD, Exh Brake, AISIN 6sp Auto, 3.73 gears
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS - Ultimate Power - Peace of Mind - Arctic 4-Seasons Protection Packages

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a pair of Champion 3500W dual fuel inverter gennies. When combined, can power everything in the camper. Also use the for home backup. Cannot run the house, particularly central air, but no problem with what we actually need (freezers, fridge, well pump, septic pumps, essential lights, and above all else, the coffeemaker!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inverter generators generally do not have 220V outputs, so they aren't the best for feeding a house. You can do it, of course, and with a little electrical knowledge, you can actually get both legs hot (still only 120V though), but, just speaking generally, if you're looking to power up your house, you typically want a genny that has a 240 50A plug on it, that's the easiest thing to backfeed with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand that, I'm only going to plug the refrig/freezer (110) into the ginnie.

But, would you recommend hooking up two (parallel) to use on an RV.
    The parallel cable that Geberac offers will give you a 50 amp plug.
    Ralf & Cheryl
    USAF - Ret
    2020 Ram Megacab Dually Night Edition 4x4, 6.7 Cummins HD, Exh Brake, AISIN 6sp Auto, 3.73 gears
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS - Ultimate Power - Peace of Mind - Arctic 4-Seasons Protection Packages

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRam View Post
    I understand that, I'm only going to plug the refrig/freezer (110) into the ginnie.

But, would you recommend hooking up two (parallel) to use on an RV.
    The parallel cable that Geberac offers will give you a 50 amp plug.
    Depends what you need to run in the RV. If you want to run everything at once, multiple ACs, etc, yeah, you're going to want to parallel them.

If you're only powering 110 and don't intend to backfeed, an inverter is a good solution. Just most people, when they are talking about powering up a house, are looking to backfeed; that's easier with a 220 generator.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Generac 3000i. It runs the 15K A/C on the trailer and will also serve duty for home use if needed to keep the fridge going and for fans, lights, etc.
    I haven't used it much so far, but at 62 lbs I can handle it and it's quiet. Seems pretty well made.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Cummins 4500i inverter generator that I use for my RV and house. I installed a generator sub panel in the house so that I can run essential loads, refrigerator, freezer, ceiling fans, lights, network equipment, and furnace. Installed a 50 amp plug on the outside of the house so I can use the same cord for the house and the RV. I will be installing soft starts on the A/C unit on the RV and that generator should run both of them.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2018 RAM Laramie 3500 DRW
    Retired Navy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to check that one out. Still haven't made a firm decision. Thank you for the info.
    Ralf & Cheryl
    USAF - Ret

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Westinghouse igen4500 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Westinghous...tor/1002780982 looks exactly like the Commins 4500.

It’s highly rated and available from Lowe’s via internet with free shipping for about $950. There’s a Dual Fuel version for about $100 more that will also run on propane. I just received the DF version this week from Lowe’s. With a 10% veteran discount.

For our remote cabin where we frequently have power outages from downed trees on power lines that last 3-6 hours I use a Honda 2000 converted to propane. I use that to run the cabin freezer, refrigerator, dsl internet and WiFi, dish TV Hopper, Flat screen TV and a fan. All off extension cords for the hours needed. If need be I can also n a 5000 btu window unit off it to sleep in cool room.

The Westinghouse will be used to power the RV if needed.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chose a Champion 4650W Dual Fuel (200994) that's 20"H and just fits under my tonneau cover.
    I'll use it for RV and brief outages at home.
    I got it from reading about good customer service from Champion. I got good response from them when I called to ask about getting a spare part.
    Later I started watching the various youtube videos on the different generators, Johnnys Weekends and Gavin’s Garage look at several ones.

In the Feb. Texas freeze the 1st power outage was 38.5 hours.
    I had an older Yamaha EF2400IS converted for propane and used it to keep the essentials going (~14.5A Load) since I several tanks of propane on hand already.
    It connected to an outlet strip in the house like the Reliance thru-the-wall kit does.
    For summer outages I'll get the older 120/240 generator setup to run from natural gas and an inlet/interlock at the house load center.
    And will think about getting a larger tri fuel ~12000W.

Up until the Feb. freeze, in 30 years of living her that was the longest power outage we'd had.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast