Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check trailer brake system wiring warning

I have begun to receive frequent trailer brake system alerts via my truck's info system. The truck is a Chev HD 2500 Duramax (2016) and the trailer a 2017 Reflection 29RS. I use a Blue Driver scan tool in the truck and it indicates code C1114. The most common related problems (relays, fuses, etc.) don't seem to be the cause. The alerts come most frequently on rough roads or when making a turn, causing me to suspect a wiring connection problem. Is this common? Is there anything special to consider when replacing the 7-wire plug? Thanks for any help solving what is probably an issue more simple than I'm making it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check the wires where they come out of the axels and to the brakes for worn/broken insulation. I had this, and it turned out to actually be the wire running inside the axle that was damaged!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 7-pin connectors (both male and female) and the junction box up in the pinbox wings would be the places I would start. Since your trailer is a 2017 model, that's enough time for oxidization of the contacts in the trailer connector - and the little prongs can loose their springiness so they don't make good, solid contact with the pins on the truck side. A couple of years ago, some ladies (traveling by themselves) next to us in a campground were having this exact same problem. I used some contact cleaner and some very small needle-nose pliers to "rehabilitate" the contacts in the trailer plug. I've also seen the wire nuts in the junction box up in the pin box wings work their way loose... lots of sloppy workmanship there, too.

BTW - you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Good luck,

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Check the wires where they come out of the axels and to the brakes for worn/broken insulation. I had this, and it turned out to actually be the wire running inside the axle that was damaged!
    Thanks - It will be until next w/e before I can check them but I’ll post if this is it. Appreciate the suggestion!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Rob. I’ve used contact cleaner and gun cleaning brushes on the connectors but wondered if weather exposure might have caused more issues than I might see. I’ll try tightening the prongs.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sande005 - That was the EXACT problem. It took a long time to find it - the problem was actually the wire inside the axle. I inspected multiple times - finally pulled the wire out as far as I thought I could without pulling it loose and found the problem. Thanks for the insight.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saying on my Ford, I was receiving a number of errors related to the trailer - right side light not working, wiring fault, etc from the Ford system. And we thought it was the Ford system. Ended up it was the right-side tail light on the trailer.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lost power to trailer brakes. Replaced everything from truck plug to king-pin connections, including new brake control. Found problem in brake circuit wiring on 2021 Solitude 310GKR. Abandoned original circuit and ran new wiring to brakes, problem resolved.