User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should surge protector prevent camper circuit breaker from popping?

I have the Camco Surge Defender “top of the line” surge protector for my Imagine 2400BH. I was surprised tonight when the campers main (30A) circuit breaker popped 3 times in like 5 mins. I walked outside and saw the surge protector lights were showing a steady blue and flashing green indication.

I was surprised that the camper’s circuit breaker blew. I thought the surge protector was meant to prevent that. There were T-storms in the area when this happened. After the third reset I walked outside and saw the green light was steady and not flashing. Thus far power hasn’t gone out again.

Any insight on this?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no electrician but if the 30A breaker in the trailer is blowing then it is a load issue not a line issue usually. Your surge protector is good and will protect against hai and low voltage along with multiple source wiring issues. My guess is either a short in your rig or simply an overload of the circuit.
    Hope this helps,
    Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The surge protector and breaker are completely different functions.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The surge protector is a "shunt" device and will divert the surge voltage to ground and all legs including the neutral.

I have seen many cases that the GFCI outlet trips because of this, but not the main breaker of your camper. Something is wrong and a qualified electrician should look into this.