User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion AC Question

So I’ve read a lot of threads regarding the various issues people have with the temp sensor location and various “fixes”.

I wanted to just confirm that most of these issues are the same as mine.

I’m pretty sure the AC is working “as designed” albeit with an unusually located temp sensor but when the trailer gets to a set temperature (say 75 degrees) as soon as the temperature raises by a few degrees (say 78 degrees) the compressor kicks on and begins to cool. It only takes a couple minutes for the temp to drop (at the sensor at least). This starts an long series of relatively short on/off cycles as the AC maintains the set temperature. The temp sensor reacts pretty quickly when the AC starts to blow (as I would expect with it being so close to the source)

My first thoughts were that the AC unit was short cycling due to some other problem but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I did find that they didn’t do a great job with the dividers between the air intake and discharge sides of the unit but I got up there and sealed everything up as best as I could so I shouldn’t be getting any cold are blowing into the intake. I also brought the temp sensor down through the foam are filter like most suggested.

I also could the freeze sensor was not properly installed and took care of that as well.

At the end of the day I still have a lot of short on/off cycles when trying to maintain temp but it is working.

I guess I’m just used to the temp sensor being in the thermostat somewhere further away from the AC outlet.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had GD send me the sensor relocation kit but I haven’t installed it yet and actually may never

Working okay as it is

Fortunately where we are A/C isn’t required

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like mine, I poked the sensor out too. When I need more cooling I set the thermostat 10-15 degrees under the desired temperature, till it cools down.

Even with the short cycles it seems to keep up ok, at least so far.

I thought about the sensor relocation, however I am not sure if it is worth the trouble and possible appearance issues to run the wires from the AC to a better location
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update (7/22/2022):

Ok, just finished installing and testing the new "Enhanced" Furrion AC controller and thermostat (sent by GD at no cost to address AC short cycling)

Install was straight forward just swapping wiring from old to new on both. No issues starting up.

Observations:

- No more short cycling when running the AC
    - The AC is still getting its temp reading from the probe on the controller inside the plenum (I did not stick it through the intake air filter).
    - The reaction time of this temp probe/controller seems to be less sensitive so it doesn't immediately react to the cold air coming in when ac is running causing the short cycling.
    - Once the set temperature is reached the compressor kicks off until the temp raises about 2-3 degress above the set point and then kicks on again.
    - The temperature probe on the new thermostat is for the furnace only and works well (didn't test it too much cuz its in the 90s here already .
    - Im not sure if the old thermostat had this feature but the new one allows you to run the furnace with or without the ac fan running (good for boon docking).
    - The temp probe on the thermostat is definitely controlling the furnace, not the probe in the plenum. Better arrangement when boon docking and not running ac fan.
    - I relocated the thermostat to the other side of the wall in our 2500RL so now it is accessible from the bathroom without disturbing someone who may be sleeping in the bedroom.

Overall happy with the install and outcome. I wasn't looking forward to fishing the temperature probe extension through the ceiling so Im glad I waited and went this route.

Thanks GD for the great support with this.

Bill
    Bill and Nancy from SC
    2021 Imagine 2500RL
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillinSC View Post
    So I’ve read a lot of threads regarding the various issues people have with the temp sensor location and various “fixes”.

I wanted to just confirm that most of these issues are the same as mine.

I’m pretty sure the AC is working “as designed” albeit with an unusually located temp sensor but when the trailer gets to a set temperature (say 75 degrees) as soon as the temperature raises by a few degrees (say 78 degrees) the compressor kicks on and begins to cool. It only takes a couple minutes for the temp to drop (at the sensor at least). This starts an long series of relatively short on/off cycles as the AC maintains the set temperature. The temp sensor reacts pretty quickly when the AC starts to blow (as I would expect with it being so close to the source)

My first thoughts were that the AC unit was short cycling due to some other problem but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I did find that they didn’t do a great job with the dividers between the air intake and discharge sides of the unit but I got up there and sealed everything up as best as I could so I shouldn’t be getting any cold are blowing into the intake. I also brought the temp sensor down through the foam are filter like most suggested.

I also could the freeze sensor was not properly installed and took care of that as well.

At the end of the day I still have a lot of short on/off cycles when trying to maintain temp but it is working.

I guess I’m just used to the temp sensor being in the thermostat somewhere further away from the AC outlet.
    I was running mine with the room sensor poked through the filter. It worked OK, but fishing that damn sensor through the filter every time I had to clean it was really annoying. I've had the new parts installed for about 3 weeks now, and I am completely satisfied with the A/C performance now. Every day here is 90 to 100+ with no shade. I have also ordered the RV Airflow solution that is now available for Furrion, and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    I was running mine with the room sensor poked through the filter. It worked OK, but fishing that damn sensor through the filter every time I had to clean it was really annoying. I've had the new parts installed for about 3 weeks now, and I am completely satisfied with the A/C performance now. Every day here is 90 to 100+ with no shade. I have also ordered the RV Airflow solution that is now available for Furrion, and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.
    Would love to hear back your experience with the RV airflow, and how (if) it affects temp sensor performance. We also were very frustrated with the AC performance and are eagerly awaiting the Grand Design fix (very pleased they are doing that vice saying ‘works as designed’, which they could do). The RV airflow is pricy but everything you hear with other ACs is worth it.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Before installing the "enhanced" controller and thermostat I was also running with the sensor poked through the filter. I never really noticed a big difference with the ac short cycling though. I believe that the new system has a different sensitivity in terms of how it reacts to the temperature changes. I no longer poke the sensor through the filter. Definitely a big improvement so far (running in the driveway). We won't be on a another trip for a couple weeks so I'll try to give an update after having run it continuously in the summer heat.

I also looked at those Airflow devices but thought they were a bit too pricey ($170) for what your getting. I get pretty good air flow as it is and I do use the air dump occasionally for fast cooling before switching to the duct system. I believe the Airflow system will basically make the air dump useless. The noise level doesn't bother me too much.

Let us know what your thoughts are after installing the Airflow system. If its a significant improvement I might reconsider (and can find one on sale )
    Bill and Nancy from SC
    2021 Imagine 2500RL
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The RV airflow system COMPLETELY isolates the cold air output from the intake. The air blows so hard through the ducts with the RVAF installed that the vents closest to the ac now have the slightest air coming out of them because the force blows the air right by them. The other vents in the ductwork blow so hard they whistle. How does it affect the sensor, which I had poked out also ?? I haven't been plugged into a 30 amp yet to test it; the gentleman at RV airflow said pulling out the sensor will no longer be necessary.
    2021 Imagine 2970 RL
    Equalizer 2, 4-point hitch.
    2015 GMC Savana 2500 6.0 liter
    Locking rear differential. Bilstein shocks, heavy-duty trailering package, Tow/Haul mode.