User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot water in shower

After adjusting the water temp for shower I step in and wet down. The water temp is as desired. I turn the water off to the shower head only (water is still on) and lather up with soap. I then turn water back on to shower head and it is scalding hot for a few seconds. As long as I keep the water running the temp remains fine. Anyone experience this? Thanks.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    After adjusting the water temp for shower I step in and wet down. The water temp is as desired. I turn the water off to the shower head only (water is still on) and lather up with soap. I then turn water back on to shower head and it is scalding hot for a few seconds. As long as I keep the water running the temp remains fine. Anyone experience this? Thanks.
    You need to leave a trickle coming out of the shower head and not turn it off all the way. What is happening is the hot water is at a higher pressure so it is pushing back into the cold water side of the plumbing. When you turn the head back on it is all hot water.

Some of your after market shower heads like oxygenics are designed to produce a trickle when the head is turned off. There is also an aftermarket add to the valve to prevent the hit water from crossing over to the cold side. The name of that device escapes me at the moment.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info thanks. I believe my shower head is all on or off...no trickle. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info thanks. I believe my shower head is all on or off...no trickle. Thanks again.
    My OEM shower head has a thumb tab and you twist the head to cutoff/on the water at the shower head. Ours isn't all on or all off. If yours is a push button it may be all on or off. You may want to look at one of the lower cost Oxygenics or other shower heads. If it continues as a problem there are other things you can install on the plumbing such as check valves to keep the two sides from mixing. But a new shower head that can be left to trickle may be the easiest and cheapest resolution.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Others have given you the why and some suggestions on how to leave a trickle running to avoid pressure build up. Another solution, if you like your current shower head is to put an in line shut off on the end of the hose where it connects to the supply, typically above the faucets. Under $20 and come in various sizes. This also allows for one hand operation to reduce the water flow to a trickle and is at a much more convenient height than fumbling with the shower head.

Looks like https://www.amazon.ca/Shower-Shut-Of...01045975&psc=1
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.