User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lithium swap on GD Xplor 261BH

I read through a few of the forums discussing lithium batteries on RVs. While I haven’t picked up my 261BH yet, I’m trying to determine if the stock controller (with the solar package) will allow me to throw in a lithium battery without adding anything else. For example, if I were to purchase a 100ah lithium battery, would it just be a one-for-one swap? I’m just trying to save the hassle of lead-acid maintenance and maximize useable capacity.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been several recent threads on this forum about this topic. Whether or not your solar controller has a setting for lithium batteries depends on which controller is installed. If you can find that out, we can tell you more. The other issue is the converter/charger. The stock converter/charger will not have a setting for lithium batteries. It won't hurt a lithium battery - it just won't charge it to full capacity so you won't get all the amp hours you paid the high dollars for. Many forum members have installed a lithium battery and swapped out the OEM converter/charger with one that's lithium compatible.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddle4x4 View Post
    I read through a few of the forums discussing lithium batteries on RVs. While I haven’t picked up my 261BH yet, I’m trying to determine if the stock controller (with the solar package) will allow me to throw in a lithium battery without adding anything else. For example, if I were to purchase a 100ah lithium battery, would it just be a one-for-one swap? I’m just trying to save the hassle of lead-acid maintenance and maximize useable capacity.
    Absolutely can swap it out. BUT you just won't get the full potential if the lithium without changing your converter out. That's all. My OEM converter will only maintain the batteries (LiFePO4) at 13.2v which is much lower than lithium can handle. I'm good with that until my Victron Multi-plus II 120v comes in from backorder.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another consideration is that your tow vehicle won't fully charge the LiPo battery, the system voltage is too low. There are DC-DC converters available that will boost the voltage to what the LiPos need.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    Another consideration is that your tow vehicle won't fully charge the LiPo battery, the system voltage is too low. There are DC-DC converters available that will boost the voltage to what the LiPos need.
    If he has solar, will he really need to worry about the charge from the TV?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015