User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2011 Toyota Tundra towing question….

Wife and I have gotten the itch to get a camper and decided on a travel trailer. Particularly, we are looking at the Grand Design Transcend xplor models.

My question is related to towing the trailer since I am so new to this. I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport with the 5.7 v8 and 4.10 gearing. Being that it’s a sport, the tow package didn’t come with it. However, I did add a class V Curt hitch a few years back. My payload capacity on the truck is around 1500 lbs.

My main concern is will I need the options that came with the tow package, i.e. transmission cooler, engine oil cooler.

The tongue weight listed on Grand designs site for the model we are looking at is around 620 lbs. the GVWR of the trailer is around 7500 lbs.

Maybe I am overthinking this, but want to make sure. Would love to get by a couple of years pulling it with my Tundra and then get something newer later.

Appreciate any advice!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluereb View Post
    Wife and I have gotten the itch to get a camper and decided on a travel trailer. Particularly, we are looking at the Grand Design Transcend xplor models.

My question is related to towing the trailer since I am so new to this. I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport with the 5.7 v8 and 4.10 gearing. Being that it’s a sport, the tow package didn’t come with it. However, I did add a class V Curt hitch a few years back. My payload capacity on the truck is around 1500 lbs.

My main concern is will I need the options that came with the tow package, i.e. transmission cooler, engine oil cooler.

The tongue weight listed on Grand designs site for the model we are looking at is around 620 lbs. the GVWR of the trailer is around 7500 lbs.

Maybe I am overthinking this, but want to make sure. Would love to get by a couple of years pulling it with my Tundra and then get something newer later.

Appreciate any advice!
    You'll need to get the transmission cooler and trailer brake controller. Both can easily be added and not too expensive. Now as for the tongue weight. The advertised GD tongue weight is on a bare bone, no option, no lp tanks or battery. You should go by 15% of the GVWR of the rig to be safe. It common to see around 12.5%. With a payload of 1500 You'll be OK depending on which floor plan you pick. We have 1426 payload and tow comfortably a 22mle. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    You'll need to get the transmission cooler and trailer brake controller. Both can easily be added and not too expensive. Now as for the tongue weight. The advertised GD tongue weight is on a bare bone, no option, no lp tanks or battery. You should go by 15% of the GVWR of the rig to be safe. It common to see around 12.5%. With a payload of 1500 You'll be OK depending on which floor plan you pick. We have 1426 payload and tow comfortably a 22mle. Hope this helps.

Who normally installs the transmission cooler? Just take it to the Toyota dealership or can any mechanic shop do that?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any mechanic will be able to do both.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluereb View Post

Appreciate any advice!
    I had a 2009 Tundra and it towed great!! Get the transmission cooler if it is not in the radiator yet and enjoy camping. Any mechanic or Toyota dealer can do it. For your model year it may still have the transmission cooler in the radiator so I would have your Toyota dealer confirm as I may just not have had the hitch or wiring.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow with a tundra and similar weight. I would definitely recommend the brake controller and auxiliary transmission cooler. You will most likely end up very close to maximum payload, as mine is as well, but I find that it still tows well.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transmission cooler is a must!!!!! Shouldn't be very expensive to install. Brake controller is also must!!!! Have 2012 Tundra with tow package but didn't come with brake controller but was wired for one, your truck may also be wired for controller.

Side note: Change differential fluid about ever 30,000 miles, towing heats up rear end and causes fluid to go bad over time. Mine takes 3.75 qts, change fluid when rear end is warm after driving a few miles.
    https://www.autozone.com/greases-and...art/854795_0_0
    Last edited by Buckskin; 08-01-2021 at 06:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Bluereb I would email this guy to see if these kits will work for you. They use mostly Toyota hardware. https://genuinecoolingsystems.com/
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2007 Tundra with tow package complete with factory transmission cooler here. Tongue weight is 1150. I installed a Road Master Active Suspension System, the HD one. The thing tows and, stops like a beast. Yes, payload, I'm pretty much on the edge but drive like I know that. I do a lot of downshifting on grades. Have done 10% grades. I do have a brake controller and ordered the plug-in harness for that install. Running 12,800 fully loaded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3242_27309978_03242021_154904_542.pdf  
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +airbags...
    2020 FORD F350 CREW CAB LONG BED 7.3L (GAS)
    2021 TRANSCEND XPLOR 247BH