User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Needed for toilet clog!

Hi! Brand new to RVing here , second trip out and our toilet is clogged. Eeeek! The black tank emptied just fine, but the toilet is still clogged. Any ideas to help unclog it? I found something on the internet about using a plunger (will that work with this type of toilet?) and also about pouring a kettle of hot water in the toilet x 2 and letting it sit overnight (could the heat hurt anything? Help... help... We have a 21 G toy hauler if that les a difference.

Thank you sooo much for any suggestions!
    Cindi DeBoer
    Brand New to RVing
    Momentum 21G Toy Hauler 2021
    Colorado Springs CO

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindideb View Post
    Hi! Brand new to RVing here , second trip out and our toilet is clogged. Eeeek! The black tank emptied just fine, but the toilet is still clogged. Any ideas to help unclog it? I found something on the internet about using a plunger (will that work with this type of toilet?) and also about pouring a kettle of hot water in the toilet x 2 and letting it sit overnight (could the heat hurt anything? Help... help... We have a 21 G toy hauler if that les a difference.

It sounds like you've fallen victim to the poo poo pyramid. It's common when not using enough water. You have a few option to rectify the situation depending. The hot water might help. Have you tried doing a good flush? Almost filling the tank? You could also try the wand hooked up to a hose via the toilet.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is indeed the poop pyramid, hold the flapper valve open and stick a long stick down the hole and try to mash it around. Make sure to maintain control of the stick. Next time around make sure there is water in the tank prior to use and use lots of water when pooping.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think it’s the poop pyramid as the clog is preventing the toilet from draining into the black tank, so flushing a long time won’t work as the toilet would overflow, if I am making sense. We did try to flush, though, and the water (and fluids) just built up in the area between the two valves and did not drop down into the tank. We can hear the water gurgling, and over several hours, it does go back down. I am thinking it is a toilet paper clog (perhaps)...? Thoughts and/or ideas...?
    Cindi DeBoer
    Brand New to RVing
    Colorado Springs CO

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You need to get one of these https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Flexibl...a-490904810310

Once you have the clog cleared, fill the tank 1/2 and do the rumba to slosh things around, then drain.

Before your next use however fill the tank with 1 cup Dawn dish soap and 5 gallons of water. This will slick things up and prevent the TP tower. Also use plenty of water when flushing. Some folks add a Tied laundry tab before traveling too as the detergent helps break everything up too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is toilet paper causing the problem, then the question is are you using RV friendly toilet paper? You must be using toilet paper that dissolves quickly.

You can buy RV friendly toilet paper at Walmart and other locations. And you can also test your current toilet paper by putting water in a jar and adding strips of the toilet paper and shaking it. If the toilet paper breaks down, then that is not the problem. However, if it does not break down you are using the wrong kind of toilet paper.

As stated before, use water, water, water, and more water.
    Last edited by vonzoog; 07-19-2021 at 04:59 AM.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you saying that the water never leaves the bowl? That is the only valve between the toilet and the tank itself.

With water turned off, you should be able to step on the toilet flush pedal on look down through the hole and see the tank.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the trailer. Most are a straight drop but some FW's have a bent pipe. Hot water won't hurt the pipes, but I'd pour past the toilet bowl seals.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lane Hog; 07-19-2021 at 05:37 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the help! It was a toilet paper poop pyramid.... yikes! I kept adding water after we dumped the black tank, and it took it a day, but it finally fell. So, now I am going to add one of those Commando enzyme tablets, fill up the tank, and let it do it’s thing for 24 hours just to clean it out well. As a follow up, I called our mechanic, and he said do NOT use boiling water on a clog as it could ruin the plastic tank, etc. (which makes sense, glad I checked). Thank you much!!
    Last edited by Cindideb; 07-20-2021 at 07:52 AM.
    Cindi DeBoer
    Brand New to RVing
    Colorado Springs CO

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another trick is to dump a full bucket(s) of water as fast as possible down the open toilet once most of the contents of the tank have drained. I have found it definitely moves things along as witnessed by watching the clear fitting in the drain hose.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast