Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do they all do this?

Hi guys and gals, so we have been full timing in our 380fl for about 3 months now and I’ve found out early on that when the kitchen slide is retracted that both the electricity and gas get shut off and the fridge beeps. Not an issue when parked but if we go long distance the fridge could thaw out. Is this normal or is something wrong?
    2017 F350 Ruby Red Lariat Drw
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    Martin & Denise

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not normal, check to see if the harness is broken and pinching the wires and propane lines
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The refrig should work with the slide retracted as well as the electricity. The gas line is probably kinking but, the electric problem is different unless it has broken the wire and when it kinks it is breaking the circuit. It needs to be looked at for sure.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepstone View Post
    Hi guys and gals, so we have been full timing in our 380fl for about 3 months now and I’ve found out early on that when the kitchen slide is retracted that both the electricity and gas get shut off and the fridge beeps. Not an issue when parked but if we go long distance the fridge could thaw out. Is this normal or is something wrong?
    What brand and model fridge do you have?
    It is a propane/electric fridge, right?

Are you sure you have the fridge set correctly? You should have electric only, propane only and automatic settings on your electric/propane fridge. Unless you are dry camping and using a generator you probably want to just leave it on automatic. If your setting are correct then you need to look elsewhere for a problem.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated previously, it is probably that the LP line is kinked when the slide is in.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses! Indeed It looks like this is not a normal situation, I will have to add it to a growing list of concerns that we have and make an appointment with the nearest dealership to get them all looked at. I thought (Hoped) that maybe this was just some kind of new safety device or something and not a defect but I guess not.
    Martin
    Last edited by Shepstone; 07-19-2021 at 02:50 PM.
    2017 F350 Ruby Red Lariat Drw
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    Martin & Denise

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if it is related, but noticed on Sunday when towing, if I leave the Norcold 2118 on automatic, it switches fine to propane when the slide is in and I disconnect the electric when leaving the site. I stopped for fuel and went into the 380FL and the fridge was faulting looking for AC. Switch to manual propane and fired right up. Wondering if hooked up to the truck then turning the truck off made it somehow look for AC while in auto. Will just set to manual propane when closing up the rig in the future.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    Don't know if it is related, but noticed on Sunday when towing, if I leave the Norcold 2118 on automatic, it switches fine to propane when the slide is in and I disconnect the electric when leaving the site. I stopped for fuel and went into the 380FL and the fridge was faulting looking for AC. Switch to manual propane and fired right up. Wondering if hooked up to the truck then turning the truck off made it somehow look for AC while in auto. Will just set to manual propane when closing up the rig in the future.
    I have noticed that the Norcold in my 310GK sometimes faults when switching automatically between gas and electric. I don't trust it anymore and now switch it manually myself when changing modes. I believe this is a problem with the Norcold itself. I had it just stop working once after switching in auto mode without a fault, almost lost all of the food. Cycled power and all was well.

Brian
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses! Indeed It looks like this is not a normal situation, I will have to add it to a growing list of concerns that we have and make an appointment with the nearest dealership to get them all looked at. I thought (Hoped) that maybe this was just some kind of new safety device or something and not a defect but I guess not.
    Martin
    You could look under the slide with it out. Look at the flexible arm. They break sometimes.

If you find anything; take pictures. Submit a claim to GD and ask for a mobile tech to fix the problem. Electric short and propane are not a good mix.
    KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that it's just a 12V problem since the fridge needs 12V to work, no 12V no propane flow. What are the chances that both the 12V and propane lines have a problem?
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast