Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help understanding TOW CHECK calculator

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOW CHECK REPORT 7 19 2021.pdf 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	35545

I've just checked my weights on our last trip (see attached pdf).
    We have our rig fitted out with most everything we have decided on thus far.
    We tend to carry 1/3 or less fresh water tank level and minimum and gray and black.
    At this point we are not anticipating boondocking to change those values.

I tried using the Changin Lanes site but since it has changed version I don't find it as user friendly.
    Instead I used Tow Check https://fifthwheelst.com/conventiona...alculator.html
    Also tried other calculators with similar results to crosscheck.

I know I'm close to all the limits but I don't understand why it is giving me a Trailer GVWR of 85#
    All of the weights are below the TV & TT ratings.
    The TV Hitch is the limiting rating over the the WDH
    Tongue weight 13%, midrange
    Our TT is a 2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Our TV is a GMC 2018 1500 CC, 4X4, w/Short Box, trailering & suspension packages, 5.3L, and 4.53 GR.
    I have the EZ Lift elite 2 Max tongue weight 1200# and Max Trailer Weight 1200# plus sway control.
    I'm still on the OEM P metric tires with 5# extra pressure to help stiffen them up. I will upgrade to extra load or LT tires when these wear down.

We do have 2 bikes mounted on rear bumper w/aftermarket supports and there may have been a slight more bounce but nothing alarming. Sort of expected some with this setup.

I have it pretty well tuned and haven't experienced much sway and or braking problems. I mostly have travel in the south on flat roads other than bridges.
    I have towed a similar sized setup rental Jayco (w/o bikes) a couple years back to Washington DC and didn't have any significant issues but it wasn't as tuned as this setup.

I know there is a lot of knowledge on the list and appreciate any input.

We have just made our 1 year anniversary with our TT.

Should I work to lower the tongue weight %, Sort of in the middle at 13% so not bad, but what I have read closer to 10 may be better.

Still in a learning curb but trying to pay attention to these details. This list members, and my son in law have been my mentors to date.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Trailer GVWR = 7495
    Total of everything is either 13,900 or 13,940 (probably scale inaccuracy).
    13,900-6320 (weight of TV) = 7580
    Which is 85 over the GVWR of the trailer.
    Dump about 11 gal of water/waste, (or other stuff in the trailer) and you'll hit the number.

That trailer has a nominal payload capacity of 1,700 lbs. Seems like you have a lot of stuff in it!

Do NOT lower tongue weight much. No lower than 12.5% You'd be guaranteed bad, possibly fatal, sway going down to 10%. Much safer to keep it as it is.
    Last edited by sande005; 07-19-2021 at 08:48 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I can follow that.
    I know the bikes added 148# (2 bikes and the rack), all the way in the rear.
    Also we do carry about 10 -15 gallons of water between the gray and black tanks (opposed to normal very minimum) and the fresh had little less than a third, just not sure of how much.
    But we do carry about 11 gallons (88#) of bottled drinking water in the camper.

So the conclusion is to reduce any weight in the camper as possible and really manage our water in all the different categories.

We will not necessarily carry the bikes on every trip, especially the winter ones. So that should offset the overage in its self.

Is it safe to assume that the TV GVWR @ -120# mean I could move for practical purposes the 85# from the TT to the TV bed to re-balance? Or that's not the way it works.

Again thanks for taking the time to help.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move the bottled water to the bed of your tow vehicle and problem solved. You have transferred the weight to your trucks payload. You will now be 3 pounds under. For safe measure find a few small inconsequential things and you will be good to go.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS