User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Personally I think GD is on the hook for failing to properly secure that cord to the RV.
    That's my inclination as well. A properly designed trailer shouldn't be subject to chafing wiring shorting out in a matter of a few hours of use. Seems like they just wanted to avoid liability and figured it was cheaper to burn the customer relationship than fix the damage.

I continue to be impressed at the dichotomy of wiring quality in my trailer. Some wires oversized, some under. Proper levernuts for most interior wiring connections ... and then there's the abomination rats-nest of wiring on the tongue. And I don't know *what* kind of tin the terminal rings are made of, but they're the softest I've run across in a long time.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    That's my inclination as well. A properly designed trailer shouldn't be subject to chafing wiring shorting out in a matter of a few hours of use. Seems like they just wanted to avoid liability and figured it was cheaper to burn the customer relationship than fix the damage.

I continue to be impressed at the dichotomy of wiring quality in my trailer. Some wires oversized, some under. Proper levernuts for most interior wiring connections ... and then there's the abomination rats-nest of wiring on the tongue. And I don't know *what* kind of tin the terminal rings are made of, but they're the softest I've run across in a long time.
    The "tin" you speak of should be tinned copper ring lugs. This being a "cut cost at all expense" industry they are probably sourcing the thinnest they can. I'm sure if you reasearch there is a standard that the rest of the world follows but the RV industry seems to ignore. They may loose 10 or 12 dropped into the underbelly when built but those pennies do add up.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    The "tin" you speak of should be tinned copper ring lugs. This being a "cut cost at all expense" industry they are probably sourcing the thinnest they can. I'm sure if you reasearch there is a standard that the rest of the world follows but the RV industry seems to ignore. They may loose 10 or 12 dropped into the underbelly when built but those pennies do add up.
    Yeah I assume they're tinned copper. When I was installing my lithium battery I went ahead and cut the original ends off and crimped on better ones. There's still some more cleanup I'd like to do to the wiring on the front of the trailer. Sometimes even the little things are annoying, like how the power cord to the tongue jack is just flapping in the wind. The tongue wiring in general looks half-assed.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original poster stated that they bought this for it their business as overflow accommodations. Under most insurance policies, that voids your coverage.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    A few weeks ago when getting ready to hitch up, I was pulling the cord out of the pin box (everyone coils up the cord and places it in the pinbox, right?). Apparently I wasn't careful with the plug end and somehow it touched just right on the inside of the pinbox and POP and spark! Scared the heck out of me thinking I fried something. Fortunately all was OK however it was a subtle reminder the plug is always hot when the 12V trailer battery is connected.

Seems if one simply stuffs the cord into the pinbox and the end of the plug touches just right on the metal parts inside, it could make for a bad day.

I'll order one of these unless someone has a better suggestion:
    https://www.amazon.com/GR-Innovation...s%2C170&sr=8-7
    I also use something similar, and have since day one with our first trailer. we got it more to protect the end and keep bugs and dirt out.

I had no idea that the cord had any kind of “hot point” at the plug. I learn something new nearly every day on this forum.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, pin 4 of the plug is battery power, some of us have inserted a ATO fuse between pin 3 &4 to turn on the campers tail and clearance lights when TS an inoperative light bulb. I have seen some owners install a sealed dead headed 7 pin receptacle to the tongue or pin box and insert the umbilical end plug into it, to keep it safe and clean.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 07-21-2021 at 06:14 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    That's my inclination as well. A properly designed trailer shouldn't be subject to chafing wiring shorting out in a matter of a few hours of use. .
    You must have missed the part of the OP's post where it says that GD determined the cord was pulled out of the attachment at the junction box. I can go take a picture of a Solitude that shows the wire clamp screwed to the pinbox framing holding the umbilical cord. They all come that way, but will pull loose if the cord is caught on something and gets pulled out.

"“…Our inspection from 7/12/2021 determined that the 7-way cord had been pulled from its fixed position. "
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Personally I think GD is on the hook for failing to properly secure that cord to the RV.”

You seem to have inside knowledge. Can you please provide the evidence so the rest of us can see it. Thank you.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hog View Post
    The original poster stated that they bought this for it their business as overflow accommodations. Under most insurance policies, that voids your coverage.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    And warranty. It is a “recreational vehicle” warranty

They don’t intend to use this solely for “recreation”

The OP has been told but these posts will surely hurt him more than help

He has had multiple posts deleted from Facebook

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    “Personally I think GD is on the hook for failing to properly secure that cord to the RV.”

You seem to have inside knowledge. Can you please provide the evidence so the rest of us can see it. Thank you.
    Here is what our Solitude 7 way cord connections look like. The cord is clamped to the back of the pin box. Even inside the junction box you can see plastic holding and strain relief box clamps where the wires go into and out of the junction box. That black wire inside the junction box is the 12V battery power that is always hot with a battery connected.

Now i am not saying that in this case for the OP, that's is what happened, the cord was yanked out, I'm just showing what our Solitude factory connections look like. Very unfortunate circumstance for the OP, no matter how it happened or what caused it, nobody was hurt or injured, thank goodness,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2643.jpg   sol_2325.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 07-21-2021 at 07:34 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast