Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Slider or not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slider or not

We just bought our first camper and truck to pull. We have a 2021 Chevy 2500 HD turbo diesel LT with the 5th wheel prep package and trailering package. Our camper which is a 2022 Grand Design Reflection 31 Mid bunk 5th wheel(which we don’t have yet since I don’t have the hitch yet, still at the dealer). After doing a bit of research on hitches I decided to go with the B&W Companion OEM for the 5th wheel prep puck system that I just ordered.
    I’ve had a lot of feedback from other groups that goes both ways as to if I needed a slider hitch or not. I’ve had several to say that hitch with that trailer should be fine. But able to make a full 90 degree?

Being new to all of this it makes me wonder if maybe I should have gotten the slider hitch. What do you guys think? Should I be ok with that set up? Anyone with similar experience? Really do NOT want to be the guy that smashes the back glass out, hahaha. Going to take some time to practice. Any feedback is appreciated for a newbie. Thank!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsammons View Post
    We just bought our first camper and truck to pull. We have a 2021 Chevy 2500 HD turbo diesel LT with the 5th wheel prep package and trailering package. Our camper which is a 2022 Grand Design Reflection 31 Mid bunk 5th wheel(which we don’t have yet since I don’t have the hitch yet, still at the dealer). After doing a bit of research on hitches I decided to go with the B&W Companion OEM for the 5th wheel prep puck system that I just ordered.
    I’ve had a lot of feedback from other groups that goes both ways as to if I needed a slider hitch or not. I’ve had several to say that hitch with that trailer should be fine. But able to make a full 90 degree?

Being new to all of this it makes me wonder if maybe I should have gotten the slider hitch. What do you guys think? Should I be ok with that set up? Anyone with similar experience? Really do NOT want to be the guy that smashes the back glass out, hahaha. Going to take some time to practice. Any feedback is appreciated for a newbie. Thank!
    Welcome to the forums!

I've been towing a 5th wheel with short bed trucks for 3 years now. I have yet to be in a situation that required a 90 degree angle. That being said, it is always something that I watch. Sometimes even getting out to check my proximity to impact...
    2021 Winnebago 2932 5th wheel
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla
    2018 Reflection 220RK - sold 11/20
    2018 Titan XD 4x4 SL - sold 11/20

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had auto-sliders for the last 2 trucks and 5th wheels. I wouldn't be without one.

I may not need a full 90 degrees but I can make a U turn whenever I want. I pretty much need it to get into my garage at home (I originally did put a dent in my cab from not setting the slider too far back); and I just had to make a tight turn into my current slot. So, overall, I'm in favor of them - even if has to be a manual slider.

This topic has be hashed over and over so you'll get lots of opinions.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The newer Chevy's with the longer beds are nice, and give more room between the cab and the trailer, but there is always that possibility, and when you need to make that odd ball turn, or turn on a road that has a steep grade, you are going to be sweating. I much rather have a slider, or something equivalent, and not have to worry at all. I don't think I could make it into my driveway without one with my short bed truck.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had an Anderson AUH as well as a Demco Autoslider when I had a short bed 3/5T & 1T. I wouldn't hesitate to get another autoslider if I had a SB. It just does what it needs to when it needs to - no thinking about it. You don't need a slider until the day you do. Uneven ground, distracts, etc and only takes a split second. Having said that... I have a LB now and love the B&W.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have short bed 2021 ford with the Companion OEM puck, Hitch is set with kingpin 3 inches in front of axle and I have “kissed the sheet metal on both sides of the cab backing with high turn.

going back to the dealer to have hitch adjusted so kingpin is only 1 inch forward of axle. I am questioning wether they should have set me up with a slider.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with the Curt A16. It's plenty of hitch for my rig. I just added the slider for it. I may never need it, but time to find out you can't make a sharp turn to get out of a jam is not when you have to.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have same truck and trailer but previous year on both. Don't have a fixed hitch (goosebox pushes it back a few more inches) but GM strected bed starting in 2020 from what I saw and my puck system sits back a few inces from rear axle (when I was researching, one picture found one that as if it was pushed forward, but mine was towards back). Measured mine measures at 46" (just under half of 8ft wide trailer). Cap profile on reflection seems quite good to help at contact point, had mine jacked quite a bit backing in two times, get out and check as I get close and always have someone watch if I go further. Looking at the side profile of truck it may contact spoiler first and first warning before you get to the window.
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW SB Duramax 4x4
    2021 Reflection 31MB Goosebox 16k